• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Holiday Gift Guide 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
I wonder why the whole Sonic 3 <-> Sonic & Knuckles combination almost always gets stiffed on these collections, what with the combination possibilities with those two into one gigantic Sonic game that doesn't rely on Sonic Generations's annoying "use a chunk of an earlier stage to make various trial events" artificial game lengthening techniques.

I have an older Sonic compilation on the PS2 that manged this, so there's no real excuse to leave it out. Although they didn't include either Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles without being able to do the cartridge attach thing, I kind of suspect that's also the reason why they aren't included.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
While the Amazon listing of My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! shows a paperback coming in August 2019, that is just Amazon being stupid and linking Seven Sea's preorder for their release of the manga. At this point there are no plans for a paperback for the light novel, as far as I can tell.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
In the book section, the last one calls the main character a "prostitute". Is it possible to change it to "sex worker"? Prostitute is a slur and shouldn't be used.

Heck, even the title of the book doesn't use it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
^That's my mistake, and while I can't change it myself, I'm sure one of the editors will. I'm not sure how I missed the change, but I really do apologize, especially since the book goes out of its way not to stigmatize sex workers.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Who the health is gonna pay $800 for that Legend of the Galactic Heroes Premium Box Set?

2(3?) Of my friends did. And the 2 I know did live under the same roof.
Correl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Am I missing something, or is the screenshot from Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far a picture from one of the Yakuza games?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Kingdom Hearts appears to have the same screenshot as Yakuza.

"Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!", which desperately needs an abbreviated title (Average Abilities?), is a pretty fun series; kinda surprised to see that in this guide. The manga looked pretty low-quality and fanservicey from what I saw of it, though, so best to stick to the light novels. Hopefully the planned anime version will be better.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
In the book section, the last one calls the main character a "prostitute". Is it possible to change it to "sex worker"? Prostitute is a slur and shouldn't be used.

This bugs me, and I mean really bugs me. Selling , renting, or buying human beings is not okay; It is the opposite of okay: It is plain wrong and disgusting. You wouldn't think well of someone who bought a slave so why is someone being rented okay? Why have the idea that it's okay to purchase or sell faked intimacy? Why not work towards people being treated with dignity and worth, beyond any sort of belief in their use as a commodity?

Prostitute is not a slur; It is a plain word used to describe someone who sells sex. Please, please, rethink how you view human beings. Please. We, as a species, are worth it.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
Cetais wrote:

This bugs me, and I mean really bugs me. Selling , renting, or buying human beings is not okay; It is the opposite of okay: It is plain wrong and disgusting. You wouldn't think well of someone who bought a slave so why is someone being rented okay? Why have the idea that it's okay to purchase or sell faked intimacy? Why not work towards people being treated with dignity and worth, beyond any sort of belief in their use as a commodity?

Prostitute is not a slur; It is a plain word used to describe someone who sells sex. Please, please, rethink how you view human beings. Please. We, as a species, are worth it.
Prostitute is a slur because it contributes to the dehumanization, and criminalization of sex workers.
Dehumanization, just like you're doing in your comment.
vampireknightgal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far ~ uses Yakuza 6 image
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Correl wrote:
Am I missing something, or is the screenshot from Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far a picture from one of the Yakuza games?

Kamurocho level confirmed for Kingdom Hearts?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
JK Haru is a great read!!
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
I've fixed the Kingdom Hearts picture, thanks to all who pointed it out. Someone else also changed the wording in the JK Haru description earlier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2