• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Woman Receives 10-Year Prison Sentence in China For Writing Boys-Love Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
This is alarming news.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
There are like 2 or 3 posts in the whole thread saying that. I hardly think that's a representative example of this website, let alone the internet. And if you seriously think Western liberals/progressives hate Communism, what kind of liberals do you hang out with? Because man, I'd love to meet them.

Come to Russia, man. In our country, anti-communism (as in the whole of Europe during the Cold War) has always been one of the main elements of the liberal starter pack. To such an extent that our liberals are even ready to unite with monarchists or ultra-nationalists if it helps to attack the communists.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm sure it has nothing to do with their absolutely deplorable human rights violations among other issues. Rolling Eyes You have a habit of making rather sweeping generalizations in threads, especially in regards to the users posting in them or on this site as a whole. *I suggest you cease with those sort of wide blanket judgments.

*That applies to everyone as well.

Well, not I started to connect the topic of the article with communism, and if I remember correctly, I have never tried to connect it with the described violation of human rights in the article.

Juno016 wrote:
Your experience in your home country might be warping your views of ANN. Most people I talk to here are either very supportive of LGBT, or even if they don't care, they at least support peoples' rights to indulge in them. LGBT culture has had a long history in the Western world and has seen a lot of progress. Even in the past few years, I've seen conservatives, who traditionally have been against LGBT in general, defending them. Around the world, it still varies, but if the internet is anything to go by, only the most immature variety still use "gay" as an insult.

I understand perfectly what you want to say, but large part of yaoi \ yuri fans I know limited their support for LGBT by posting fanart on twitter and monotonous comments like "sooo gaaay" characters are in the all-male \ all-female franchise. I do not want to say that all the LGBT support in modern anime fandom is hypocrisy, it would be an exaggeration, but I doubt that turning homosexuality into a popular "fetish" for a predominantly heterosexual audience can be called serious support or representation.

And warning your obvious answer, I consider it perfectly normal if a person likes any gay staff regardless of their gender or orientation. But as a person living in a very homophobic country and trying to support LGBT rights in Russia, I find quite creepy people for whom LGBT support lies in Love Live and Shonen Jump's spokon shiping. Not to mention the rather strange sexist or even outright homophobic prejudices that can be found in some of these people.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
Ten and a half years in prison? That's just insane. I mean, I could understand a small fine and some finger-wagging. Unbelievable. But, wait. This is China, so not so unbelievable. :/

This is what happens when people let their government walk all over them, year in and year out, and I doubt it will ever change.
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Welp, guess it's time for the gays of the world to go to war against China.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
All I can add is that basically all economic systems and all political systems are flawed, but not horrible.

Yeah political systems like Theocracies are totally not horrible especially if you're apart of the LGTBQ community or a female.

azazel13 wrote:

And that's a good thing. Whether heterosexual or homosexual, sex-related issues shouldn't be aimed at kids. Period.

Given kids can become sexually active as young as 10 with some even younger likely to walk in on their parents in the middle of sex this kind of a moot point
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4