• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are Japanese "Family Restaurants" Like?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
Family Restaurants are a casual setting that are perfect for casual meet-ups with friends, which might be why they're so popular with teenagers.

Between family restaurants and arcades as meet-up spots for teenagers, and the arcades in Japan are big and clean, it's just a bizarre thing to wrap my head around. Are Japanese teenagers really that upfront and clean? I mean, at my middle school, the favorite hangout spots were the restrooms at the school and dark alleys and corners.

[...]

Way too many people are unfamiliar with cultural anthropology.
Edit:
I should have provided a link that was more specific: Here is a webpage of a cultural anthropologist specializing in certain aspects of Japanese culture.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I should have provided a link that was more specific: Here is a webpage of a cultural anthropologist specializing in certain aspects of Japanese culture.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
I love Japanese Family restaurants. They are cheap and taste great. I like to have variety when I stay (I'm usually there for a month). I also like to sit and talk with my friends and not scarf something down on the go. Not to mention the service is great and you don't have to flag people down because Japan has the bell that brings the server to you. I once waited an almost an hour for my food and almost as long to pay for the bill at home

I found a lot of them in Osaka and Nagoya. The ones in Nagoya (I go to frequently) have been there since I had seen them in 2004 and ten years later. I walked a lot there and some days for 4 hours for fun. So My friend and I found lots of neat shops and restaurants. We found a handful in Tokyo, mostly in the areas tourists wouldn't go way out of the way of popular spots. So I think it matters on location too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3