• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Evangelion Series, Death & Rebirth, End of Evangelion Films Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

The home video licenses are completely separate and Netflix and Amazon never have anything to do with them. Netflix and Amazon never stream the home video versions of their broadcasts and in fact Amazon sub-licenses from Sentai for a few of their shows. The BD version of Knights of Sidonia from Sentai for example, is completely different and more complete than the broadcast TV version of the "Netflix Origial" Knights of Sidonia stream.
Funimation and Sentai and Aniplex (and now Crunchyroll for home video) don't deal with those streaming services for their BD rights.

I never said that at all. I said they get full rights, then sell off the home(and other) rights to other companies. The only thing they don't allow is any streaming, as that is their one business model.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
So with Netflix now owning Eva, besides Macross, some kids shows, and some obscure old magical girl shows, is pretty much all the major anime franchises licensed in the US now?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I hope they get the Japanese version. That English dub has not aged well.

Typically, I think they stream every language they can.
They do for new shows, I've seen older shows, Gunslinger Girls, that did not include the dub.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
I've always hear that the main reason that Evangelion hadn't gotten relicensed was that that none of the local distributors could pay the very steep fee that Khara named as it's price for the rights to the original TV series and End of Eva that they had manged to wrestle away from Gainax.

I expected Funimation to get it eventually as they already had the Rebuild movies but even back up now by Sony, their resources are next to nothing compared to the very deep pockets of money that Netflix has willing to dole out.

So yeah, deadlock finally broken on Eva, that's good but now Blu-rays will most likely take forever to be released as is the case with many of the shows they own.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:13 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So with Netflix now owning Eva, besides Macross, some kids shows, and some obscure old magical girl shows, is pretty much all the major anime franchises licensed in the US now?
I guess it depends on one's definition of "major franchise," but quite a few franchises are missing numerous parts over here. For instance:

Burn Up! -- only original OVA is still available.
El-Hazard -- only the Wanderers TV series is still available.
Oh/Ah My Goddess -- Only the 2nd TV series still available, not counting Media-Blasters' quasi-bootleg DVD-R TV S1 release, which came out after they supposedly lost all their old licenses after being dissolved by New York State over unpaid back taxes. Last OVA was never licensed.
Tenchi Muyo! -- certain spinoffs like the Mihoshi special, Pretty Sammy OVA/TV, and Dual! not available. Sasami Magical Girl Club is surely on its way out as well.
Bubblegum Crisis / AD Police -- several installments have expired / gone OOP.
K-On! -- some of Sentai's collections seem to be slipping into unavailability.
Galaxy Angel -- some later seasons and especially Rune remain unavailable.
Saiyuki -- 2nd two seasons have not been available since Geneon shut down.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Well, holy crap. Eva has never been on a streaming service, so this could really blow things up.

I know you probably mean outside Japan, but two years ago Eva was on Amazon prime here in Japan for quite some time.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:25 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
By the way, I'm noticing some outlets saying the two movies they have are End of Evangelion and Evangelion: Death (True)2, which is the third edit of Death and Rebirth. Is this true or just a mistake? That's kind of interesting if so, I don't recall if we ever officially got that version.

Death(true)2 is the final version that's used on home video releases worldwide, IIRC. Manga's D&R DVD contains Death(true)2. It's Death with all of the added scenes inserted back in (after Death(true) removed them), coupled with a (new?) shot of spoiler[Adam in Gendo's hand], which I think was used along with all of the other added scenes in the episode Director's Cuts as well.

What we've never actually gotten is Rebirth, since Mangle lazily just copied the first half of End of Evangelion and slapped the appropriate Rebirth title cards onto it. Not that it matters for most people, as they probably wouldn't notice or care about the differences to begin with, and most people these days just skip Rebirth (and typically Death as well) and go straight to EoE.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I guess it depends on one's definition of "major franchise," but quite a few franchises are missing numerous parts over here. For instance:

Burn Up! -- only original OVA is still available.
El-Hazard -- only the Wanderers TV series is still available.
Oh/Ah My Goddess -- Only the 2nd TV series still available, not counting Media-Blasters' quasi-bootleg DVD-R TV S1 release, which came out after they supposedly lost all their old licenses after being dissolved by New York State over unpaid back taxes. Last OVA was never licensed.
Tenchi Muyo! -- certain spinoffs like the Mihoshi special, Pretty Sammy OVA/TV, and Dual! not available. Sasami Magical Girl Club is surely on its way out as well.
Bubblegum Crisis / AD Police -- several installments have expired / gone OOP.
K-On! -- some of Sentai's collections seem to be slipping into unavailability.
Galaxy Angel -- some later seasons and especially Rune remain unavailable.
Saiyuki -- 2nd two seasons have not been available since Geneon shut down.
They are releasing the whole thing on Blu-Ray
https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/k-on-premium-box-set
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Zallis116’s list is pretty good. Of more recent stuff, I’d be inclined to add:

• Fullmetal Alchemist - Aniplex USA clawed back the rights to both series and all the movies from Funimation, and are now re-releasing only Brotherhood. This could indicate a deliberate attempt to bury the 2003 FMA series in favor of FMA:B (which is more faithful to the manga), even though some people prefer the 2003 version.
  • If you count Key/Visual Art’s stuff as a franchise - they were huge in the aughts - then Air and Angel Beats! being out of print is a pretty big deal. Especially the latter, which is in the top-30 all-time for Japanese disc sales over on someanithing.com. At least Angel Beats! Is still streamable on Crunchyroll, unlike Air which is just gone.

Also, The Rose of Versailles going out of print and off of streaming is not a happy development, since it was once a white whale of licensing nearly as much as Macross is.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
This is good and all but we NEED a BD release. I want to replace my DVDs already and finally own a copy of End of Evangelion.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

[*]Fullmetal Alchemist - Aniplex USA clawed back the rights to both series and all the movies from Funimation, and are now re-releasing only Brotherhood. This could indicate a deliberate attempt to bury the 2003 FMA series in favor of FMA:B (which is more faithful to the manga), even though some people prefer the 2003 version.

That doesn't make sense to me when they own both, they make money off of both, and they could sell both. Especially given hardcore completionist otaku. FMA 2003 was a smash hit by all metrics. Commercially successful and critically acclaimed. I can't see why they'd bury it. I don't think that the most recent release being Brotherhood means they're burying 2003... it could just mean that the most recent release was Brotherhood.

This isn't even that rare. That one part of a franchise be available right now while the other isn't. I don't think it's burying.
chronos02

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:

As long as they "forget" to include the Spanish dub it's all good.
*shudder*

May I know what's so wrong with the Spanish dub? It has a stellar cast and is one of the best dubs, next to Monster's, ever made for a TV anime in Spain. Unless you mean the latino one... I don't know anything about that one.

Regardless, I'm happy to see they're adding eva into netflix, it's the one streaming service I pay for and the only one which I've tried and has a good player. I also own the BDBOX, but with this I don't need to open it every time I want to watch it, ahaha...
LazyGoNutz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

• Fullmetal Alchemist - Aniplex USA clawed back the rights to both series and all the movies from Funimation, and are now re-releasing only Brotherhood. This could indicate a deliberate attempt to bury the 2003 FMA series in favor of FMA:B (which is more faithful to the manga), even though some people prefer the 2003 version.
  • If you count Key/Visual Art’s stuff as a franchise - they were huge in the aughts - then Air and Angel Beats! being out of print is a pretty big deal. Especially the latter, which is in the top-30 all-time for Japanese disc sales over on someanithing.com. At least Angel Beats! Is still streamable on Crunchyroll, unlike Air which is just gone.

I would imagine that Aniplex re-releasing the original Fullmetal Alchemist would take some of the wind out of the re-release of Brotherhood. Also, I think Funimation probably milked that one enough that anyone that was interested has already bought a copy, and for a more reasonable price than I would expect Aniplex to come out with. I'm kind of surprised that they are not giving it a bit more time before the release Brotherhood, as well, since I can't imagine that there is much of a demand in the market for it that wasn't there when they were going for a cheaper price not to long ago.

As for Angel Beats!, there are still physical copies to be had, so I don't think it going out of print has made a hole in the market for them just yet.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:

As long as they "forget" to include the Spanish dub it's all good.
*shudder*

May I know what's so wrong with the Spanish dub? It has a stellar cast and is one of the best dubs, next to Monster's, ever made for a TV anime in Spain. Unless you mean the latino one... I don't know anything about that one.

Regardless, I'm happy to see they're adding eva into netflix, it's the one streaming service I pay for and the only one which I've tried and has a good player. I also own the BDBOX, but with this I don't need to open it every time I want to watch it, ahaha...

I think the Latin- American spanish dub of Evangelion is pretty good, though there's a catch. There are two versions, one made in the late 90s and another from 2008 based on the Renewal version, both of them were translated using ADV's scrpit. The main complaint I heard is which version is better, the Renewal version replaced all the cast, except for Shinji and Gendo's voice actors, they also corrected the pronunciation of Asuka's name, and they omitted the voice-over translations for all written signs and titles. Also, Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion were never dubbed into latin-american spanish, but the rebuild trilogy was, although that was more inconsistent, Shinji's voice actor is still the same but some actors from the orignal series came back, then left in the second movie, and then later returned for the third movie, others were replaced completely.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Gotta wonder if this is an experiment. If Evangelion is successful, Netflix's anime department might become more focused on making things legally available that anime fans have demanded for years, such as Angel's Egg, the original Berserk, and Monster.

Good post. Something like Monster is perfect for a Netflix due to its crossover potential.

Monster actually used to be on Netflix back in like, 2011 or so! I've been annoyed it was long gone by the time I finished reading the manga, I know it's like super slow and pretty much 1:1 (and the colors haven't aged well, it's one of those old mid-2006s series where skin tones look kinda rubbery) but it'd be nice to have on in the background or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5