• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Produces Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop but, I don't see the point of making this into a live action show because, who is this for? Everyone who loves it will probably just rewatch the anime and if the show isn't accurate to the anime then why even make a show, of it doesn't fit into the cannon then don't bother.

While I don't think it's the greatest anime ever instill consider it a classic.

Netflix needs content with name recognition.

Bebop has a style that fits several genres- action, sci fi, detective, drama, comedy, western. It's very versatile and has broad appeal.

They'll sell it as Han Solo X Boba Fett.

With the right budget and art direction and choreography, this could be really good.

Also for old fans - two words - original episodes. Just stay true to the characters and world and there'll be plenty to tell!
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 am Reply with quote
If nothing else the memes coming out of the wordwork on the Netflix twitter have been great.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:
In my opinion, whenever Hollywood tries to adapt an anime into an American live-action movie/show, they tend to get it wrong. It’s always about altering or changing something because they need to make it appealing to a large market that may not know about the anime/manga. They cast the wrong people, dumb-down the story, characters aren’t what we remember them to be..... it turns into a big mess.
But mostly, it’s all about the American producers who want to slap their own name or take on the show to make it their own. PLUS, making money is more important to them then the actual heart of the story that made it popular in the first place.
In any case, there’s plenty of examples of this that already happened:
Dragonball,
Death Note,
Ghost in the Shell (a huge disappointment)...

What they should be doing is give their budget the original Japanese animation studios and let them use their own resources to produce their own live-action series. Imagine what they might come up with using Hollywood money. It might stay true to the original creators vision.

But you never know. Maybe this time they’ll get it right. We still need to see how Alita: Battle Angel will do, and I’m hoping they got it right. James Cameron has been wanting to make that movie in like forever, but if this gets screwed up..... game over man.

You say this like as if Hollywood's approach to adapting anime is any different from any other source material. Shrek, the first movie, is almost unrecognizable from the children's book by William Steig it was based on, for instance, and it followed the exact process you described...though "dumbing down" may be a bit too strong a word here.

As for the "thumbprint" mindset, I've explained that one enough here, but to reiterate, you cannot progress far from within the Hollywood system if you go too faithful. The executives will see it as you lacking creativity and courage. People who put their own spin on adapted material are the ones who will get chosen for future projects. Look at what happened to Gus van Sant when he remade Psycho, for instance: By being 100% faithful, he got laughed at from every facet of the movie business, including audiences. The main thing people got out of watching that was, "What was the point of this movie?"

residentgrigo wrote:
I wouldn´t be surprised if casual viewers don´t know that Bebop was done in Japan and not the US, so it will be interesting to see a US only Bebop. I wonder if Spike will be properly Jewish this time and can we put some clothes on Faye? The dollar store hooker look always bewildered me.

Depending on how well it's marketed and how well it's received, it may get many people who have never heard of Cowboy Bebop at all.

Zof wrote:

I'd take that a step further. Once Hollywood forcibly rapes an Anime property, it dies. You never see that property used again. No more anything. It's just done. That has been the pattern. So it feels like some jerk turned your childhood memories into a prostitute then killed them.

Edit: Damnit, not quite done. That's still not even completely it. It's worse with an Anime because that Anime was SPECIAL because most people didn't even know it existed. So it was your special thing forever. This wasn't some stupid GIJoe or Transformers reboot. It's like they went out of their way to find something rare and special you cared about that you thought was safe, then raped, and killed it.

What makes it different from G.I. Joe or Transformers? For many other kids, that was a big part of their childhood too. You don't get to cry more because kids who grew up with G.I. Joe or Transformers have received high-profile live-action movie adaptations. Anime doesn't get to be special like that, and it has never been special.

In addition, Hollywood will keep trying until they succeed. The fact that the projects keep getting announced is proof of that. This is what happened with comic books, and they're currently attempting it with video games. Again, anime isn't special, no matter how much you think it is.

(Whatever the case, reactions like these only make me want this adaptation to happen more, because nerdrage like this is delicious. For the record, I very much enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, and I am interested in this project as well.)

I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop but, I don't see the point of making this into a live action show because, who is this for? Everyone who loves it will probably just rewatch the anime and if the show isn't accurate to the anime then why even make a show, of it doesn't fit into the cannon then don't bother.

This is for the people who would otherwise not touch Cowboy Bebop because it's animated, or, taking a step back, who otherwise would have never heard of Cowboy Bebop because they don't know anyone into anime.

That is, it's likely not intended for existing fans, but new fans.

Spoofer wrote:
Because, yeah, a meaningful reference to something only the true fans would get and appreciate is one thing. But something every Netflix couch potato has seen and, quite likely, would watch once and either drop or forget about (as again, I think the best we're able to hope for with this show, with who's already involved, is that it's as mediocre as the rest of Netflix's midrange lineup), would ruin the whole thing and quite likely make me and little Ein embarrassed over the whole affair.

Hipster exclusive mentality, sure, but valid nonetheless. Anime smile;;

Not really. "No True Scotsman" is a logical fallacy.

catandmouse wrote:
Yet, most likely instead of the best person chosen for the role it will be the person who fits into the PC agenda regardless of if it makes sense or not.
I'm not a scriptwriter, but how hard is it to get a story where you might have to do some minor tweaks only and go and completely get it wrong?
Someone mentioned the Dragonball fiasco. How hard was it to write a script about an alien baby crashing onto Earth and being picked up and raised by an old man...oh wait that sounds like Superman...hmm? I wonder if that is why they decided to make Dragonball into a high school movie with superpowers?

Screenwriters are typically chosen by agencies, not via any political agenda. Agents are approached for someone to write a story, and the agent then picks someone they hope will be a good fit. Some agents are better than others. If the agent doesn't know much about the project they've been approached with, they can't make an educated decision in the very limited time they have and must pick someone and hope for the best. The best agents out there are the ones who have a wide breadth of knowledge of things and have gained a reputation of picking good people for the tasks, but they also have the highest service fees. There are, of course, also flocks of freelance writers going around, which the studios will sometimes pick from too. Unless you have an agent and/or you have a proven history of writing financially successful projects, freelance screenwriting does not pay well at all, and they will accept any job they get because that's what keeps the lights on at home.

Being very faithful to a story tends not to lead to good reception or viewership. I mentioned Gus van Sant's Psycho above; another example is Zack Snyder's take on Watchmen. In addition, as I mentioned above, not putting your own take on an adaptation will count negatively against you by your bosses.

The major changes in Dragonball Evolution occurred at the executive level. To my knowledge, the writing team and directing team DID do their research and read the Dragon Ball manga. The executives in charge of the project, however, did not, and insisted on most of the changes (which the creative staff members have to comply with, or they're fired and replaced with people more willing to accomodate those changes).
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to bet that they will get The Rock as Jet.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
[This is for the people who would otherwise not touch Cowboy Bebop because it's animated, or, taking a step back, who otherwise would have never heard of Cowboy Bebop because they don't know anyone into anime.

This is a terrible reason. Those people don't deserve Bebop. Excluding a show simply because it is a "cartoon" is blatant ignorance and stupidity. They'll only ever know an inferior product, because even if the Live-action is good (1% chance) the anime will still be better. They're doing themselves a disservice by not watching the better version. Why bother making an inferior product? These people you talk about won't appreciate it no matter how good it is, so there's no point in catering to that kind of audience. "never heard of Cowboy Bebop because they don't anyone into anime" is also a BS excuse. Netflix pushes crap to their front page all the time. I have to click down 3 times to get to my watchlist on Netflix's main page now. The first tier is like trending and then there's "What's popular "(WTf is the difference?) not to mention the autoplay ad videos on the very top. They could easily just put Bebop up there if they got streaming rights.

TLDR: There's no valid reason to make this other than that they're too lazy to create their own characters and world. They're playing like the GITS movie did. They're using name recognition to get views/money from old fans. Specifically those foolish enough to think this would be any good. It doesn't really matter if it's good or not. People will watch it to see how BAD it is, and that will still generate money for Netflix. There's little to lose for them. They damage the name/reputation while making money. Bebop loses out as a franchise, fans lose out as the name is now tarnished, Netflix still wins.

In the 1% chance that this ends up being good, Netflix will become a legend for doing what no one else has managed to do. But having an original staff member as a "consultant" doesn't do anything at all. People from the original GITS "Approved" of the garbage movie. They're basically just paid not to talk bad about it, honestly. This will be a disaster. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Also LOL @ the person that wanted Faye to put clothes on. I don't like over sexulation of women but that's literally part of what made her character work. You CANNOT change that without rewriting her entire character. And if they have to rewrite characters, why even buy the show's name?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
This is a terrible reason. Those people don't deserve Bebop. Excluding a show simply because it is a "cartoon" is blatant ignorance and stupidity. They'll only ever know an inferior product, because even if the Live-action is good (1% chance) the anime will still be better. They're doing themselves a disservice by not watching the better version. Why bother making an inferior product? These people you talk about won't appreciate it no matter how good it is, so there's no point in catering to that kind of audience. "never heard of Cowboy Bebop because they don't anyone into anime" is also a BS excuse. Netflix pushes crap to their front page all the time. I have to click down 3 times to get to my watchlist on Netflix's main page now. The first tier is like trending and then there's "What's popular "(WTf is the difference?) not to mention the autoplay ad videos on the very top. They could easily just put Bebop up there if they got streaming rights.

What do you mean they "don't deserve Bebop"? Everybody deserves it. Cowboy Bebop isn't some award given out only to people who have proven their competency at something. It's a TV show created with the purpose of making money and was intended to be viewed by anyone who hears about it and has interest in it.

The same goes with this one. The purpose of this Netflix project is to make money. There are enough people who believe in the concept of the Animation Age Ghetto that something can turn a profit simply because it's a live-action adaptation of something animated. What you argue about this, you could also argue about the live-action movie adaptations of The Flintstones, The Smurfs, and Alvin and the Chipmunks, all of which turned a profit AND were marketed toward children, the audience that you'd think animation was meant for. (Not to mention Disney's current thing about making live-action versions of their Renaissance Era movies. They COULD re-release the animated films in theaters. But why don't they? Because they believe they can make more money in this way.)

You sound like Professor Frink in The Simpsons episode "The PTA Disbands!," in which he demonstrates particle physics using a plastic vacuum toy and denies the kids who want to play with it because they "won't appreciate it on as many levels as [he does]."
joeydoa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, I scanned through this thread and the negativity blew me away. Sure, I don't like Netflix embargoing Anime series but a new presumably big budget live action science fiction series - that's fantastic. Has anyone watched the latest Japanese tv mini-series live action adaption of death note - it's not that good - poor live adaptions of anime series are not exclusively an american thing. Did anyone watch the netflix financed Altered Carbon series - it was fantastic - if the live action Cowboy Bebop is even half as good - that'll be something worth watching.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote

It can be nice that they are going to adapt it into live action because it might mean that a larger public will have access to it. Like the adaptation of American comic book superhero franchises which greatly expanded the public who has access to these characters.

Of course, what is probably going to happen is that it is going to be horrible like Death Note and nobody is going to pay much attention to it. I guess Netflix should try to do adapt Japanese fictional material about 1,000 times. Then, with enough experience from past failures the last adaptions among those will be good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
They greenlit this and cancelled Daredevil.

Real braintrust they got there.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Look if they are going to do this can we get our Eva movie that they were promising like what almost 10 years ago? We do it now and get over the rage later. LOL!!!
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Pretty sure the reason all the Marvel stuff is getting axed is because Disney is planning on making all the Marvel shows exclusive to their streaming platform.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

To be pretty fair they've been axing a lot of Marvel shows so that one shouldn't have surprised you.....especially given all this confusion over Disney and what they intend to do with shows airing on certain places and the like.

Chester McCool wrote:

Pretty sure the reason all the Marvel stuff is getting axed is because Disney is planning on making all the Marvel shows exclusive to their streaming platform.

If what I heard is true about their streaming service mostly being family friendly fare that doesn't bode well for making a new version of something like Daredevil.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
This is a terrible reason. Those people don't deserve Bebop. Excluding a show simply because it is a "cartoon" is blatant ignorance and stupidity.

I know this might be hard to imagine but there are people who grow out of watching animated stuff by the time they reach adult hood even if there's stuff that's designed for mature audiences they still won't watch it that has nothing to do with ignorance and stupidity it's strictly a preference thing.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

They'll only ever know an inferior product, because even if the Live-action is good (1% chance) the anime will still be better. They're doing themselves a disservice by not watching the better version.

What is it what anime fans and gatekeeping?

If they like it they like, if they don't they don't how does either effect your enjoyment of the original version of the series?

They're not mandated or obligated to watch the anime simply because you think it's "the better version" The same way you're not mandated or obligated to watch a live action adaptation of Bebop because you think it'll get everything about the original series wrong, see it as pointless because the anime version is there, or think it'll piss on the legacy of the original series.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
TLDR: There's no valid reason to make this other than that they're too lazy to create their own characters and world.

Yeah creating your own characters and worlds always works even before people see the finished product like Crunchyroll and High Guardian Spice

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
People will watch it to see how BAD it is,

The majority or the small minority that actually does this?

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
They damage the name/reputation while making money. Bebop loses out as a franchise, fans lose out as the name is now tarnished, Netflix still wins.

Bebop's reputation won't suffer in anyway the same way DragonBall's reputation didn't suffer in anyway with the one-two punch of GT and Evolution.

[quote="Takizawa-Shinzou"]This will be a disaster. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

By the same token anyone whose insisting this will be bad simply by virtue of gatekeeping with a cup of cynicism is just going on a screed just to be heard.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Also LOL @ the person that wanted Faye to put clothes on. I don't like over sexulation of women but that's literally part of what made her character work.

Her character was that of a prostitute? cause that's literally what her default outfit makes her out to be.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
What is it with anime fans and gatekeeping?

If they like it they like, if they don't they don't how does either effect your enjoyment of the original version of the series?

They're not mandated or obligated to watch the anime simply because you think it's "the better version" The same way you're not mandated or obligated to watch a live action adaptation of Bebop because you think it'll get everything about the original series wrong, see it as pointless because the anime version is there, or think it'll piss on the legacy of the original series.

It's not just anime fans, but dedicated, hardcore fans of pretty much anything. The reason this is done is because when someone becomes an intense fan of something, they make that something a part of themselves. Anything that happens to that something, they will feel like it's being done to themselves too.

This is why these dedicated fans are the ones most defensive about a particular thing. Any perceived attack on it is felt like an attack on themselves. This is why the Sonic fans are notorious for vitriolic reactions to the slightest thing in the video games that don't correspond to what they imagine Sonic should be, for instance. A lot of these Sonic fans treat the blue hedgehog as if he was a personal friend of theirs, even if they don't realize it. And this is why you keep hearing about riots on the street when someone's favorite soccer team loses, especially if it's a major game: Except for the few who are rioting because they found an excuse to riot, these fans feel an unstoppable rage as if they, personally, had just been beaten up and mocked during an important event.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Bebop's reputation won't suffer in anyway the same way DragonBall's reputation didn't suffer in anyway with the one-two punch of GT and Evolution.

GT did in fact do that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
GT did in fact do that.

Maybe to a certain extent (such as Super effectively booting it out of canon) but given elements of have it cropped up in other media you wouldn't know that.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
It's not just anime fans, but dedicated, hardcore fans of pretty much anything. The reason this is done is because when someone becomes an intense fan of something, they make that something a part of themselves.

Sounds familiar

But yeah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6