• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Remake Anime Premieres Next Summer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
That art looks pretty cool. I'm pretty excited for this!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
One thing that struck me about the slate of Netflix titles announced a few years ago was how many appeared to be old franchises that seemed like they could've hit harder in the North American market, but didn't before for whatever reason - Devilman, Baki, Saint Seiya in particular. It's likely this is all just a coincidence and my own bias speaking here, but that's what they all reminded me of.

I suppose I do have my doubts to how well a CG Saint Seiya is going to do...anywhere, at this point, but we'll see how it goes.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
12 episodes do not seen like enough run time to properly cover the galaxian tournament and silver saints arcs. The 80s show took 35 episodes to cover all that. But hopefully this new adaptation is well done.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
A few months ago, there were a few Chinese Snickers commercials that used Saint Seiya branding and CG, and they look remarkably similar to the new image we have. If they look like the commercial, we should be OK visually. Storywise is another matter.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
12 episodes do not seen like enough run time to properly cover the galaxian tournament and silver saints arcs. The 80s show took 35 episodes to cover all that. But hopefully this new adaptation is well done.

Keep in mind Saint Seiya's anime started a few months after the manga. You start knocking out filler like Docrates, the Ghost Saints, the Steel Saints, Ohko, avoid dragging things out too much, and it gets more doable.

Those first 15 episodes were like the first four and a half volumes. Episode 36? That's the middle of volume 7.

Saint Seiya's anime had a lot of filler in the early bits.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
One thing that struck me about the slate of Netflix titles announced a few years ago was how many appeared to be old franchises that seemed like they could've hit harder in the North American market, but didn't before for whatever reason - Devilman, Baki, Saint Seiya in particular. It's likely this is all just a coincidence and my own bias speaking here, but that's what they all reminded me of.

I suppose I do have my doubts to how well a CG Saint Seiya is going to do...anywhere, at this point, but we'll see how it goes.

Here's to hoping Netflix remakes "Fist of the North Star."
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
Would be awesome if they went after series that did do well in other parts of the world but we're held back by lack of interest in Japan. Like Trigun Maximum or Big O.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
I hope that that Toru Furuya will reprise his role as Seiya. I wouldn't mind if they used the cast from Omega, which a nice mix between the originals and new ones.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
Looks like a render for the opening cinematic of a mobile game ...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
It is interesting how the art style is similar to the Legend of the Sanctuary movie style, and considering how popular Saint Seiya is in Latin America and Europe I wonder if Netflix will try to retain most of the voice actors from that movie. Luckily the latin american cast for the movie was the same as the original show, save for a few minor characters, but sadly since Seiya's original voice actor passed away two years ago I wonder if they will replace him with the actor who voiced Seiya in the TV version of the Hades Saga (they later redubbed the saga for the DVD release with the original cast after much fan complain)
Enturax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Looks like a render for the opening cinematic of a mobile game ...

Yeah, I expected something more from the Witcher intros' creator and the fact it's been already 3 years since they've announced this, I think. Seiya's face is... meh, looks like some smartphone korean production, indeed!
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Since this is the same anime director behind CROSS ANGE, I'm wondering if this really is something to be that excited about. For the most part, that anime had a good plot between each episode, but spoiler[ I really didn't like how the main heroine of Ange was almost raped by the main villain in the last episode.]

It still traumitzes me today. It's even hard to listen to Toshihiko Seki's voice now.

[laugh] I know this isn't a site for therapy, but I was hoping someone here might help me out.
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Since this is the same anime director behind CROSS ANGE, I'm wondering if this really is something to be that excited about. For the most part, that anime had a good plot between each episode, but spoiler[ I really didn't like how the main heroine of Ange was almost raped by the main villain in the last episode.]

It still traumitzes me today. It's even hard to listen to Toshihiko Seki's voice now.

[laugh] I know this isn't a site for therapy, but I was hoping someone here might help me out.

There's nothing like that in Saint Seiya if that helps lol
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The art looks really cool, I just hope this lives up to its promises and is amazing, along with the Saintia Sho anime...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

In the case of Saint Seiya, we can blame it on DiC's widely panned Knights of the Zodiac dub and it probably didn't help Crunchyroll never streamed the entire original series for some reason even though they have some of it up subbed. I do find it interesting that a lot of these reboots of classic anime shows are keeping references to their localized dubs in the title like with SSSS Gridman, the Space Battleship Yamato reboot, and now Saint Seiya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2