• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Western Live-Action Anime Adaptations in Development Hell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
For me there's only 1 show which could do well as a live action non-japanese produced show and that's psycho pass.

A multi-million budget from the BBC to make a ~10 episode long series set in a utopic/dystopian (however you feel) UK with a nigh on identical plot would do really well I think.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It's sort of weird that we may very well get a live action Hollywood Gundam movie before Robotech/Macross or Voltron, if those ever even happen.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
The Voltron movie sounded like another case of producers being sentimental for the US dub, without realizing the original source had come from somewhere else--Hence the Toei troubles.

A similar situation happened with that Sailor Moon movie we almost got, when Geena Davis tried to buy the rights to the US version for her daughter (and herself as Queen Beryl...(sigh) Embarassed ).
Unfortunately, this was back in the mid-90's, when nobody realized that buying the rights to the US series didn't mean DiC.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Alright, Joseph, I may not have voted for you on the JoJo poll, but I'll do it this time.

Is it wrong if I think a Jim Henson Parasyte sounds kind of awesome?
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Why Madao and Hasegawa Taizou are separate option? it would split the vote Confused
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
A likelihood of whitewashing and being development limbo are reasons why some of these projects should have been scrapped by now.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
This is a poll should be done after the Vinland Saga anime aired. I'm sure Askeladd will get a lot more votes if that's the case.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
A likelihood of whitewashing and being development limbo are reasons why some of these projects should have been scrapped by now.

Also, for the reason that Fox's DBZ movie ("An epic trilogy in the spirit of Lord of the Rings!") was production-hell downgraded into what became DB:Evolution--

There's a difference between buying Something The Young People Have Heard Of, based on trends or NYT manga sales figures, and...actually getting a look at the pig you bought in a poke. Shocked
I suspect that to be the case with Parasyte, back when that was the "#1 selling Manga title", ie., the Attack on Titan of its day.

As for Yamato/Star Blazers, do you know how close we almost came to a Dean Devlin/Roland Emmerich version?
They had a whole slate of other people's production-hell projects ready to finish, with which to spend all the billions they were going to make off of the 90's Godzilla. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Speaking of, Robotech is also another one that's had so many false starts even a legally mandated rights expiration won't save it.

Yeah, that Robotech movie has been in a heap of developer hell for nearly a decade. DiCapirio struggled for years to get the rights rights and actually rejecting a role in the new Star Wars sequels, then the Robotech project got shelved. Sony took up the slack and it's progress grounded to a halt because of conflicts with Harmony Gold with the scripts and directors. Not to mention the legal rights over various Macross characters, fighters, aliens, etc, forcing them to rebuild Robotech from ground up. The final blow, Harmony Gold's license rights with Macross expires in 2021. Not enough time to finish a movie they haven't even got started on.

So there is hope Sony is playing a long game in waiting for the license to expire and negotiate with the original Macross rights owners and have a world-wide distribution without Harmony Gold mucking things up.

Fingers crossed!

Something I've been wondering about but never got a clear answer to: What does Harmony Gold actually want to do with the rights? My impression with them, seeing it discussed so much here, is that they're just rejecting everything and not allowing anyone to have the rights for Robotech or Macross anything while doing jack squat with the license itself. Or are their licensing fees so high that no one wants anything to do with it?

That is, Harmony Gold's actions don't sound like they benefit Harmony Gold at all.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
The Voltron movie sounded like another case of producers being sentimental for the US dub, without realizing the original source had come from somewhere else--Hence the Toei troubles.

A similar situation happened with that Sailor Moon movie we almost got, when Geena Davis tried to buy the rights to the US version for her daughter (and herself as Queen Beryl...<i>(sigh)</i> Embarassed ).
Unfortunately, this was back in the mid-90's, when nobody realized that buying the rights to the US series didn't mean DiC.
If I recall correctly, it was Disney that was going to make the live action Sailor Moon movie and Geena Davis was the only one who they had officially casted, but I don't recall she was the one who bought the rights to it or that her daughter was involved. I also recall Disney ended up passing on it because it was too expensive at the time and legal conflicts with Kodansha. I do still wonder how that would have turned out and how much they got done with it or if the Geena Davis casting was the only thing they did with it. Like if they ever made a script for it or anything like that? In spite of the spotty record of live action anime remakes, I would still love to see a big budget Hollywood Sailor Moon movie made one day.

Quote:
That is, Harmony Gold's actions don't sound like they benefit Harmony Gold at all.
Harmony Gold isn't as much of a proper anime company as they are a tax evasion scam.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Speaking of, Robotech is also another one that's had so many false starts even a legally mandated rights expiration won't save it.

Yeah, that Robotech movie has been in a heap of developer hell for nearly a decade. DiCapirio struggled for years to get the rights rights and actually rejecting a role in the new Star Wars sequels, then the Robotech project got shelved. Sony took up the slack and it's progress grounded to a halt because of conflicts with Harmony Gold with the scripts and directors. Not to mention the legal rights over various Macross characters, fighters, aliens, etc, forcing them to rebuild Robotech from ground up. The final blow, Harmony Gold's license rights with Macross expires in 2021. Not enough time to finish a movie they haven't even got started on.

So there is hope Sony is playing a long game in waiting for the license to expire and negotiate with the original Macross rights owners and have a world-wide distribution without Harmony Gold mucking things up.

Fingers crossed!

Something I've been wondering about but never got a clear answer to: What does Harmony Gold actually want to do with the rights? My impression with them, seeing it discussed so much here, is that they're just rejecting everything and not allowing anyone to have the rights for Robotech or Macross anything while doing jack squat with the license itself. Or are their licensing fees so high that no one wants anything to do with it?

Well, there's a Robotech comic running right now, but that's about all I can think of. I do really wish they'd let modern Macross be released stateside.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
Well the courts have pretty much ruled Harmony Gold's rights have to expire by 2020 so unless Studio Nue and Tatsunoko are foolish enough to extend their rights with Harmony Gold, we just have one more year to wait till Macross is finally free.
KML777

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Neohybrid_kai wrote:
Why Madao and Hasegawa Taizou are separate option? it would split the vote Confused

He's just that cool of an Ossan.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:57 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
I think the same issue with Tiger and Bunny is flounderingbsince the studio producing it went bankrupt.

yeah, i was really hyped on the news about TB having a LA movie but shit happens sometimes. Too bad.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If I recall correctly, it was Disney that was going to make the live action Sailor Moon movie and Geena Davis was the only one who they had officially casted, but I don't recall she was the one who bought the rights to it or that her daughter was involved. I also recall Disney ended up passing on it because it was too expensive at the time and legal conflicts with Kodansha. I do still wonder how that would have turned out and how much they got done with it or if the Geena Davis casting was the only thing they did with it. Like if they ever made a script for it or anything like that?

I recall Geena buying it for her daughter, since this was coming after the fan rumors of "Maybe Alicia Silverstone?" after Alicia had dropped some fangirl quotes about it.

Also, since this was coming off the days of the first-season DiC-dub, where Minako's character hadn't quite gelled yet, Geena's version reportedly didn't quite know what to do with Sailor Venus, and was considering dropping her from the storyline, or setting it before she arrived.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3