• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Western Live-Action Anime Adaptations in Development Hell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR85747

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
As for the film itself, Weta Workshop concept art revealed plans for Westernization of the story with characters named "Ray" "Kate Rose," and "Susan Whitnall."

Somehow, Saiban's live-action Sailor Moon springs to mind. It is almost amusing to learn what is considered necessary to attract unaffiliated dollars of the casual moviegoer.

Saban wasn't involved. Toon Makers and frequent Saban partner Renaissance Atlantic made that.

Last edited by CR85747 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
The only way to fix all of the Evangelion names for a Western Audience is to keep the naval theme. If you're gonna scrap all of the Imperial navy ship names, then you'd have to put in ship names and terms of the matching nation the story is now set in. However IJN ship and class names were also geographical or meterological depending on the class. Fuyutsuki and Ayanami coming from smaller ships and relating to specific weather events, but Katsuragi and Akagi being large capital ships. Aircraft Carriers. oh the friends yet rivals in the show were competing ship classes?

You could spend a whole day just playing with the names!

But what I would most miss is Shinji Ikari's name. While it is spelled as 'anchor' with the kanji, ikari is also rage. So people coming into Eva for the first time are expecting another blockbuster Super Robot show where the main character's name is could be a pun on Rage, and he becomes the most flaccid main character of the genre instead!

People have no idea how much is lost when you start changing character names. I'm sure other people here can point to some of their favorite works and creators that would suffer for the changes.

So Asuka Langley Souryuu is named after two aircraft carriers. Langley was the first Western Aircraft Carrier, but Souryuu was the first "Production Model" which would see most of the later IJN CVs modeled after. Funny enough, Unit-02 in the series is also the "Production Model" on which later Evangelions are based on. If you change Asuka's name you could get away with it, if you keep Langley and replace is with her successors Lexington or Saratoga, or the first "Purpose Built" CV, Ranger.

I might personally pick Lexington because it alliterates with Langley.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
^ Well shit I didn't know those were the gimmicks with everyone's names minus Shinji.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
New poll: whoever added Shigaraki from Kokkuri-san has a twisted sense of humor. Cool? Sure, if you count the old tanuki's habit of spoiler[impoverishing entire families...]
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
I wish we would have gotten Brian Yuzna's Devilman movie since it would have been better than what we got in Japan.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
While it depends on the series, I think a Hollywood live-action adaptation of an anime or manga might work better if the source material is short. For example, a 1-2 vol. manga that is not set in Japan but rather the U.S. and features American characters (as in, it's hinted they are White Americans) might work.
fanime99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
Witch Hunter Robin would make a brilliant TV series. Don't know who they'd cast as Robin (probably have to be a new actress, given Robin is only 15 years old).

Unlike a lot of shows, this one wouldn't require a heap of robots or monsters, but it would require some special effects for the mental powers. It has a brilliant storyline that would fill a season well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3