• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi to Launch New Manga Series Early Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Rumiko Takahashi always delivers charming works with memorable characters, so I'm looking forward to this.

Her best series is probably Maison Ikkoku, which is more grounded and realistic than her other series and didn't seem as repetitive to me. It reminded me a lot of Kimagure Orange Road in a good way. Even Ranma 1/2 outstayed its welcome.

Apollo-kun wrote:
Found a leaked translation of the synopsis!

"A guy who's kind of rough around the edges. A lady who's kind of aloof.

Is it possible that these two totally different people could fall for each other?!"

Laughing

Jokes aside, I have varying degrees of fondness for her stuff, so I'll definitely check it out.

And the anime adaptation will run for an eternity with no conclusion.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see the "will they, won't they" shtick play out for 900+ chapters/episodes, with various token "rivals" thrown in for flavor.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Surprise me
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
I always keep an eye on her. She's one of the greats for a reason
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Found a leaked translation of the synopsis!

"A guy who's kind of rough around the edges. A lady who's kind of aloof.

Is it possible that these two totally different people could fall for each other?!"

Laughing

Jokes aside, I have varying degrees of fondness for her stuff, so I'll definitely check it out.

Why does that synopsis remind me a lot of Ranma 1/2...

Shit now I feel the need to rewatch Ranma again.

One of my favorite scenes in anime...ever...was the episode at the family hot springs and resort. Ranma is standing beside the unheated large swimming pool, near the shallow end, wearing only swim trunks, Shampoo comes up in this cute "triangles and strings" '80s one-piece straight out of the SI Swimsuit Edition or something and starts hanging on him, he sees Akane glaring at him, or something like that, and they both fall in the pool together. Suddenly Shampoo is a cat and she's on top of Ranma's head, freaking out because she's all wet, Ranma is freaking out because he's now female, topless, with a wet cat having a freakout on top of his head. It's a "Wait for it....now hit pause while you LYAO" moment.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Please, please, PLEASE! Take a break from long-form stories! Make some more short stories, I beg of you! If any of you guys haven't read some of her short story collections, do it! Her short stories are really where it's at, it's almost a shame to pump out 40+ vol series that repeat every few volumes when her short stories are just THAT good!

This is exactly what I'm thinking! The short story collections of hers I've managed to find---unfortunately, they're all out-of-print now---are all sorts of awesome. Absolutely hilarious, pitch perfect comedy, creepy, intriguing horror, she can do it all. I'd love for Viz to re-release them, and I'd love for her to write some new ones, or at least consider writing a well planned "short" series with a definitive ending that's less than 30 volumes!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2