Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Worth Watching?


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12033
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Since Aniplex USA is likely to release it on DVD/BD here, let's say it gets an Eng. dub. Which members of the L.A. Eng. dub voice acting pool do you think might voice our leading guy and leading lady?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mia89



Joined: 30 Jan 2014
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
Quite interesting how ANN reviewers differ significantly from many other people about this anime. The current 8.63 score and Top #67 anime in history for MAL. Sure, each their own opinion, and not to say MAL always more reliable, but with 50.000 something people give their score it at least worth some for a rough guide. I just find it curious, like it rubbed them ANN people the wrong way or something Cool

Anyway, just like most users here already say, Mai and Sakuta, individually or together, make this anime shines.

How many teen high school slice-of-life animes with 1 boy and several girls in which the male protag so firmly loves ONLY 1 girl, throughout the course of story, and never hesitate to show and say it, be it to the girl or other people? So much so that he wants to marry young with her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 254
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote
Pass me the salt.

MAL scores always start high and then harshly drop once people actually get to watch the whole thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kotomikun



Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 491
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Sakuta is basically the sort of character that Hachiman was deconstructing in SNAFU. A cynical high school student who thinks he's (emotionally) smarter than everyone else and is always the best person to solve any problem. Except in this case he actually is.


I haven't watched this show because harem anime don't interest me (anymore), and adding snarky self-aware irreverence doesn't make them any more appealing. But based on what the show's fans in here are saying--mainly "Sakuta is a good character because he doesn't care what other people think"--the above seems to be the crux of the issue. Being a snarky devil-may-care jerk doesn't make a character bad, but if the protagonist is like that and the story never calls attention to the problems with their mindset or behavior, you have to wonder what sort of message it's trying to send.

To those of you unequivocally defending Sakuta's personality, I recommend a large helping of "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU," with a side of introspection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 489
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Clarste wrote:
Sakuta is basically the sort of character that Hachiman was deconstructing in SNAFU. A cynical high school student who thinks he's (emotionally) smarter than everyone else and is always the best person to solve any problem. Except in this case he actually is.


I haven't watched this show because harem anime don't interest me (anymore), and adding snarky self-aware irreverence doesn't make them any more appealing. But based on what the show's fans in here are saying--mainly "Sakuta is a good character because he doesn't care what other people think"--the above seems to be the crux of the issue. Being a snarky devil-may-care jerk doesn't make a character bad, but if the protagonist is like that and the story never calls attention to the problems with their mindset or behavior, you have to wonder what sort of message it's trying to send.


Sakuta's personality works because it's in service to the themes to the show, namely not conforming to social norms or thinking that it's important to align with the expectations people have of you. Sakuta has a garbage reputation because of a misunderstanding, and he's apathetic about trying to change their minds, and that reflects in his attitude really well. He purposefully goes against the norm. He can read the mood, and frequently chooses not to. Comparing him and Hachiman is foolish because Hachiman has a genuinely toxic outlook. Sakuta is just different


The show doesn't think he's better than others, a lot of jokes are at his expense, and rarely is he the person to actually solve these problems. Most of the time he'll just give them support to push them in the right direction, and it's the other girls who are forced to actually confront the issue themselves. There's only been one exception, and that exception's own circumstances and emotional baggage made it difficult for her to do the one thing that *may* have helped. It was impossible by herself, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, it's not a harem. 2 girls liking the protagonist (one of which is decisively rejected and they go back to being good friends, no big deal) does not a harem make.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TexZero



Joined: 25 Oct 2017
Posts: 110
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

To those of you unequivocally defending Sakuta's personality, I recommend a large helping of "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU," with a side of introspection.


How about not making petty surface level comparisons of the two characters that are as far apart on the decent human being scale as you can get ?

Hachiman is an insecure twit who lashes out at others as a self defence mechanism.
Sakuta is a confident human being who chooses to avoid conflict that has no real purpose (I.E Your typical Highschool Drama). He goes out of his way to understand and help people be the best versions of themselves they can be even going as far as to shelter his younger sister during her time by giving up modern technologies and becoming the parent his never could dream of because they ran away from that responsibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 218
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Sakuta's personality works because it's in service to the themes to the show, namely not conforming to social norms or thinking that it's important to align with the expectations people have of you. Sakuta has a garbage reputation because of a misunderstanding, and he's apathetic about trying to change their minds, and that reflects in his attitude really well. He purposefully goes against the norm. He can read the mood, and frequently chooses not to. Comparing him and Hachiman is foolish because Hachiman has a genuinely toxic outlook. Sakuta is just different


Yep, Hachi is pretty toxic. But both characters are used to broadcast the author's point of view through his avatar in the face of MC. It's like Last Witch Izetta and Youjo Senki. Both shows use the MC witch against the background of "real" war and make a message about militarism, but at the same time both shows are opposite in terms of their philosophy.

TexZero wrote:
Hachiman is an insecure twit who lashes out at others as a self defence mechanism.
Sakuta is a confident human being who chooses to avoid conflict that has no real purpose (I.E Your typical Highschool Drama). He goes out of his way to understand and help people be the best versions of themselves they can be even going as far as to shelter his younger sister during her time by giving up modern technologies and becoming the parent his never could dream of because they ran away from that responsibility.


You say that as if Sakuta is a completely self-confident person without any personal problems. However, don't the authors of these two works try to use their MCs as sarcastic guys, which help solve the problems of "ordinary" people, using their non-standard understanding of life?

Moreover, both are in a ship with a sarcastic Yamato Nadeshiko and a love triangle with a naive insecure girl, both have a handsome friend with whom in love tsundere girlfriend and a MC's third female friend. In fact, there are more coincidences between these two shows than you think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TexZero



Joined: 25 Oct 2017
Posts: 110
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:


You say that as if Sakuta is a completely self-confident person without any personal problems. However, don't the authors of these two works try to use their MCs as sarcastic guys, which help solve the problems of "ordinary" people, using their non-standard understanding of life?

Moreover, both are in a ship with a sarcastic Yamato Nadeshiko and a love triangle with a naive insecure girl, both have a handsome friend with whom in love tsundere girlfriend and a MC's third female friend. In fact, there are more coincidences between these two shows than you think.


I never said he was without problems, we all know he has problems he just isn't a twit to everyone around him because he has an issue. He doesn't thrust his life problems on others and instead helps people.

Also the sheer fact that you'd say he's in a love triangle grossly proves how little you're actually taking from this show. He has no romantic interest in any girl except Mai.

But then again that's the problem people who make superficial statements like both shows having a tsundere or a handsome male friend. I'm sorry if we're gonna stoop to such a low bar then all these shows are literally just clones of many other shows that came before them even if the Genre is different. May as well call this one an Eva clone based on the ludicrous logic being used, they both have tsunderes, the male protags are broken, they have a better looking male friend, and there's a clear love triangle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 218
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
[I never said he was without problems, we all know he has problems he just isn't a twit to everyone around him because he has an issue. He doesn't thrust his life problems on others and instead helps people.

Also the sheer fact that you'd say he's in a love triangle grossly proves how little you're actually taking from this show. He has no romantic interest in any girl except Mai.

But then again that's the problem people who make superficial statements like both shows having a tsundere or a handsome male friend. I'm sorry if we're gonna stoop to such a low bar then all these shows are literally just clones of many other shows that came before them even if the Genre is different. May as well call this one an Eva clone based on the ludicrous logic being used, they both have tsunderes, the male protags are broken, they have a better looking male friend, and there's a clear love triangle.


Since when does a character have to love two to be in a love triangle? Sakuta loves one girl, both girls are in love with him, this is a love triangle and this is obvious. Not to mention that Hachi does not impose his views on anyone, you should not use your bias towards the character as an argument. If a character is open in his views, this does not mean that he imposes his point of view. With such logic, you are aggressively imposing it on me now too.

Secondly, do not exaggerate. We are talking about the common elements of these two shows, and not about all the shows where there are these elements. Moreover, Asuka is a tsundere love interest and a emotionally broken character, in our shows, none of tsundere is neither one nor the other. Similarly, Shinji is not an eccentric lone wolf hero with his own worldview.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group