• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Precure Anime Series Welcomes Its First Magical Boy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
That's really neat!

Now...can we get few more male damsels?
Oh, and let's have a female equivalent to Seint Seiya, Shurato, and Ronin Warriors.

There’s literally a female* version of StS set to air in literally days. Look up Saintia Shou.

* male Saints still exist and Gold Saints show up relatively often because this is a StS spinoff and thus legally required at this point
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

I doubt that adding a yuri subtext to a children's show for attracting the attention of yurifans (moreover, in its traditional form, when any romance is officially absent from the show due to the potential threat for shiping) can be called a "positive LGBT image." Not to mention that Sailor Moon did a lot more for feminism and qeer people than Sakura. When will people realize that fanservice is not a representation of anything?
Touya and Yukito had a canon relationship. While Tomoyo is still single and there was some comic relief aspect to Tomoyo's crush, she did get a lot of serious moments, like when she helped Syaoran and Meiling come to terms with their own feelings and rejections through her own personal experiences. We also had Nakuru as a gender fluid character and while they were an antagonist, the show presented Nakuru's gender fluid identity in a way that was very casual and not as a joke or an offensive stereotype. Just because CCS has some problematic themes like most anime and most media do does not downgrade the importance of the LGBTQ+ rep in the original CCS. One can be critical of a beloved work while still praising the things it gets right. And Sailor Moon was hardly the paragon of progressive LGBTQ+ rep either with the 90s anime's portrayal of Fisheye and the general lack of positive gay men in the series. The original Sailor V manga also had Naoko making some questionable jokes, like Minako referring to Artemis as a "transgender" cat in a degrading way just because of his name. Naoko just got really lucky with Sailor Uranus and Neptune. Though even the original manga has issues in their portrayal.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
@Wtv

Well, to be honest, the main theme of Sakura has always been "to show love in any form". But I will have to repeat once more, which is quite ironic that a third of this love has not gone anywhere, because it is “wrong” or “so tragic”, lol.

In any case, I really do not understand why Western fans continue to transfer the Western vision to Japanese and continue to see some kind of social or political message in what is either perfectly normal for Japanese culture, or created purely for entertainment of a heterosexual audience.

With the same logic, I can name harems with half-japanese main girl as a representation of multi-cultural marriages. Or to say that oneesan characters with thicc forms is a political statement about body positivity.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

In any case, I really do not understand why Western fans continue to transfer the Western vision to Japanese and continue to see some kind of social or political message in what is either perfectly normal for Japanese culture, or created purely for entertainment of a heterosexual audience.

Oh geez not this "only white people care about LGBTQ+ rights" argument again. Rolling Eyes
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Touya and Yukito had a canon relationship. While Tomoyo is still single and there was some comic relief aspect to Tomoyo's crush, she did get a lot of serious moments, like when she helped Syaoran and Meiling come to terms with their own feelings and rejections through her own personal experiences. We also had Nakuru as a gender fluid character and while they were an antagonist, the show presented Nakuru's gender fluid identity in a way that was very casual and not as a joke or an offensive stereotype. Just because CCS has some problematic themes like most anime and most media do does not downgrade the importance of the LGBTQ+ rep in the original CCS. One can be critical of a beloved work while still praising the things it gets right. And Sailor Moon was hardly the paragon of progressive LGBTQ+ rep either with the 90s anime's portrayal of Fisheye and the general lack of positive gay men in the series. The original Sailor V manga also had Naoko making some questionable jokes, like Minako referring to Artemis as a "transgender" cat in a degrading way just because of his name. Naoko just got really lucky with Sailor Uranus and Neptune. Though even the original manga has issues in their portrayal.

If for the USA it is still a “big deal”, then for Japan token yaoi gays is completely normal, especially in girls-oriented manga and anime. Not to mention such a phenomenon as "best friend in love with MC".

I will even tell you more - in Japan, the editors are directly taught that the work will then be the most honest and sincere if the author embodies all his “fetishes” in it, including all these clichés. So, do not deceive yourself that these are some kind of social or political comments, and not those elements of the plot or characters, which author just loves.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I will even tell you more - in Japan, the editors are directly taught that the work will then be the most honest and sincere if the author embodies all his “fetishes” in it, including all these clichés. So, do not deceive yourself that these are some kind of social or political comments, and not those elements of the plot or characters, which author just loves.
I fail to see how Nanase Ohkawa saying she wanted to make CCS comfortable for minorities meant that she was just writing in her fetishes but I think I'll take her direct words over yours.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Oh geez not this "only white people care about LGBTQ+ rights" argument again. Rolling Eyes

Rather, "geez, white people again think that the whole world thinks like they and live in the same cultural paradigm". Maybe this is a great discovery for you, but Japanese culture differs not only from American, but also from Western in general.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Rather, "geez, white people again think that the whole world thinks like they and live in the same cultural paradigm". Maybe this is a great discovery for you, but Japanese culture differs not only from American, but also from Western in general.
So you really don't think there's an LGBTQ+ movement in Japan at all?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
I fail to see how Nanase Ohkawa saying she wanted to make CCS comfortable for minorities meant that she was just writing in her fetishes but I think I'll take her direct words over yours.

You don't see the difference between "adding a gay character" and "write gay character is positive enough so as not to offend the gay audience"? However, if you are one of those people who called Clear Card a bad sequel just because Tomoyo did not get a new lesbian love interest, then the subsequent conversation simply does not make sense.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

So you really don't think there's an LGBTQ+ movement in Japan at all?

Did I say somewhere that there is no LGBT movement in Japan? Please indicate at this point.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

You don't see the difference between "adding a gay character" and "write gay character is positive enough so as not to offend the gay audience"? However, if you are one of those people who called Clear Card a bad sequel just because Tomoyo did not get a new lesbian love interest, then the subsequent conversation simply does not make sense.
I never said Clear Card was a bad sequel. I said Huggto did a better job of portraying LGBTQ+ characters than Clear Card did and apparently my fairly mild statement was offensive to you or something.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

I never said Clear Card was a bad sequel. I said Huggto did a better job of portraying LGBTQ+ characters than Clear Card did and apparently my fairly mild statement was offensive to you or something.

Was it offensive to me that in the otaku-pandering show, where the characters don't even have canonical sexuality, dealt better with the image of qeer people than the show where there is a canonical gay couple and an important lesbian character in main cast?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Was it offensive to me that in the otaku-pandering show, where the characters don't even have canonical sexuality, dealt better with the image of qeer people than the show where there is a canonical gay couple and an important lesbian character in main cast?
Please back off and stop harassing me for expressing a mild opinion and derailing this thread.
Wtv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
When will people realize that fanservice is not a representation of anything?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this argument because everything is made to appeal to someone. yeah, even representation on western shows. So if you're going there, you can just admit representation doesn't exist at all and this complain becomes silly.
A work is supposed to mean something to the viewer. Let them see what they want.

And I'll disagree with the other points because I've seen Japanese fans discussing Precure's social messages a lot in twitter this year. It's not a "western thing".
Yeah, I know Japanese, so...

EDIT: Oh, and just to add, Precure IS more important than CCS in this point if nothing more because CCS is an otaku product while Precure is made for the general public, mostly children. It has way more impact.
Like, you could say YagaKimi has a better LGBT representation, but then only yuri otakus watch that.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Please back off and stop harassing me for expressing a mild opinion and derailing this thread.

"harassing me" - so now called, when you can not answer a fairly straightforward question? Okay, I have no more questions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6