• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Precure Anime Series Welcomes Its First Magical Boy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
@Wtv

You are confusing cause and effect. If gay men find it interesting that CCS has a positive image of gay men and are interested in this show because of these characters, this is definitely good, but at the same time, this does not mean that CLAMP added these characters to appeal to gay men.

Secondly, I doubt that "fans interpret this as social messages" tantamount to "the author deliberately did this as a social message." Not to mention the fact that in not the first year, when the PC uses fan service to attract yurifans.

Well, in that case, is the heap of yaoi \ yuri ship material in idol show also a LGBT representation? For example, western fandom of Love Live is so connected with the lesbian community that some of the fangirls are even considered offensive when hetero guys are addicted to this franchise.

Wtv wrote:
Oh, and just to add, Precure IS more important than CCS in this point if nothing more because CCS is an otaku product while Precure is made for the general public, mostly children. It has way more impact.
Like, you could say YagaKimi has a better LGBT representation, but then only yuri otakus watch that.

This has a definite meaning, but I do not quite agree. First, YagaKimi has enough hype to appeal to the lesbian community too, not to mention that the yuri community has fairly good connections with the lesbian community in both the USA and Japan. This is not yaoi, which has a rather controversial reputation among Japanese gay men because of the rather unrealistic image of males.

Last edited by #HayamiLover on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Your obvious “and yuri!” exclamations are not as big a smoke screen as you think, #HayamiLover. Just admit you don’t actually partake in stuff with gay male characters and that it makes you uncomfy and spare us, already.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Your obvious “and yuri!” exclamations are not as big a smoke screen as you think, #HayamiLover. Just admit you don’t actually partake in stuff with gay male characters and that it makes you uncomfy and spare us, already.

"you disagree with our view on gay characters, because you are homophobic!11" - oh, how banal. Now, I remember with irony how a couple of months ago, people tried to accuse me that I hating yuri yaoifan...

Last edited by #HayamiLover on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wtv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
@Wtv

You are confusing cause and effect. If gay men find it interesting that CCS has a positive image of gay men and are interested in this show because of these characters, this is definitely good, but at the same time, this does not mean that CLAMP added these characters to appeal to gay men.

Secondly, I doubt that "fans interpret this as social messages" tantamount to "the author deliberately did this as a social message." Not to mention the fact that in not the first year, when the PC uses fan service to attract yurifans.

Well, in that case, is the heap of yaoi \ yuri ship material in idol show also a LGBT representation? For example, western fandom of Love Live is so connected with the lesbian community that some of the fangirls are even considered offensive when hetero guys are addicted to this franchise.

I'm not confusing anything, though. I said CLAMP did it because it's their fetish. What I said is that it doesn't matter because all TV series at least are a product. Most producers aren't putting LGBT content for "representation", but to sell a product. That's why we get a lot of shoehorned stuff where in the last episode the writer just say: "Yeah, they were gay, didn't you see?!".

I just don't see why make a difference in "LGBT representation" and "yuri/BL aspects" when it's made respectful anyway. You said it yourself, Love Live has a lot of lesbians fans (I remember Eli being in a list of anime characters lesbians want to date or something), so why do we need to put an "it's just fanservice" label when discussing it?

The only reason why I mentioned CLAMP is because I don't believe they're above Precure when it comes to how they deal with such themes. To be fair, it was a product of its time, so it kind of makes sense. Haven't watched Clear Card, though, so I don't know how they changed.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
you disagree with our view on gay characters, because you are homophobic!11" - oh, how banal. Now, I remember with irony how a couple of months ago, people tried to accuse me that I hating yuri yaoifan...

I didn't say you were "homophobic", I said you obviously don't read stuff with gay guys in it and that your stance on BL is that it makes you "uncomfy". I stand by that remark. You obviously even forgot that a m/m couple existed in CSC and tried to change the subject when you were reminded. Your criticisms of BL are "Japanese gay guys don't like it", totally ignoring that a lot of gay Japanese men and women write BL in the first place.

You are unfamiliar with BL as a genre. You have no interest in gay guys except as a cudgel with with to hit female anime fans. Own it already and stop pretending.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:

The only reason why I mentioned CLAMP is because I don't believe they're above Precure when it comes to how they deal with such themes. To be fair, it was a product of its time, so it kind of makes sense. Haven't watched Clear Card, though, so I don't know how they changed.
The biggest issue with Clear Card is that there's just been a lack of progress in character development. Sakura and Syaoran got an entire episode devoted to them going on a date but we've barely gotten much interaction between Touya and Yukito compared to the original series. I don't really expect CLAMP to go so far as to give Tomoyo a girlfriend but I would like to see her get some more character focus outside of making costumes for Sakura like we had in the original series about her family history and drama, and some more screen time with Touya and Yukito would be nice. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation to have that doesn't require any sort of political agenda.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Time to move on #HayamiLover and others. This is the only warning I'm giving out before things get deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, things have gotten heated. As a huge and critical CLAMP fan, being fluent in Japanese, and having communicated with the LGBT community in Nagoya, I'll put in a brief set of notes:

1) Ohkawa-sensei and the group actively try to portray unusual and/or unpopular relationships or expressions of love in all their series. This is a genuine interest in trying to spread perspectives of acceptance. However, more than being just a fetish, it sometimes comes across often as a naive, uneducated view of how these relationships work in real life.

2) When I spoke with a few participants of the LGBT+ parade in Nagoya, we talked about representation in manga. It's often misrepresented, but they're less bothered by misrepresentation than they are a lack of realistic representation in popular media.

I love this season of PreCure, though. I was hoping for this and this episode was hype as all heck. I really hope this becomes a small trend in the future, like other trends for PreCure selection. My only complaint is that it took so long...
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Time to move on #HayamiLover and others. This is the only warning I'm giving out before things get deleted.

Well, as you wish. I started writing this comment before you wrote this post, so you can delete it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
No problem, the focus on CLAMP was getting things rather off-topic and I think both views have gotten enough space to explain themselves on it for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad Cure Infini wasn't added in until after the new movie was finished but I hope he'll be able to appear in future All Star films.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Oh, and let's have a female equivalent to Seint Seiya, Shurato, and Ronin Warriors.

Someone's never seen Saint Seiya Omega it seems.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
No problem, the focus on CLAMP was getting things rather off-topic and I think both views have gotten enough space to explain themselves on it for now.

Nothing, I just have a rather peculiar attitude towards Precure, so it was easier for me to use the CLAMP example in the same context. In any case, you know my "love" to slash community, so you can write me at any time if you think I'm getting too hot in the discussion.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Oh, and let's have a female equivalent to Seint Seiya, Shurato, and Ronin Warriors.

Someone's never seen Saint Seiya Omega it seems.

Can't keep up with everything, ya know. Razz
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
This really is quite a big deal, and I love it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6