• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub for To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowypoet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I suspect we may see more of these back-catalog dubs from Sentai with the launch of their dubcast initiative. They will have VA's in the studio on a weekly basis, why not have them dub some of the back-catalog at the same time? Bringing VA's in weekly is expensive and Sentai does not have as many current properties as Funimation to spread the cost between. Dubbing back-catalog shows that might sell and can be used to fill out the streaming catalog for HIDIVE makes sense.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
Well as the old saying goes better late than never but I can’t complain too much knowing that this is a pretty long series and Sentai has only recently been stepping up the number of dubbed series they release in a year.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
I feel this move would have been better if done 3 years ago around the time of J-Stars' English release to cash in on that game similar to how Discotek licensed Beelzebub around that same time (if that wasn't intentional, it's timing sure came across that way).

It also doesn't help that Sentai released a complete Blu-ray set with each season last year so those who bought it are kinda screwed now unless they add more than just a new dub to make those fans want to double-dip (or triple-dip since people hated Sentai's short-lived 12-13 episodes on 1 disc practice and they fixed that problem with the complete set by including 9 discs instead of the original 6). If what dragonrider_cody said is true about the license being renewed recently (and I can believe that just by looking at most of their other 2009-licensed shows that have since expired), hopefully Sentai got more out of it since as mentioned already, there are some OVAs that never got licensed here at all and some, if not all of them, are said to be important to the anime's plot so this would be the perfect opportunity to get and include them along with this new dub to make everyone happy and willing to buy or re-buy the show.

Last edited by NJ_ on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
shadowypoet wrote:
I suspect we may see more of these back-catalog dubs from Sentai with the launch of their dubcast initiative. They will have VA's in the studio on a weekly basis, why not have them dub some of the back-catalog at the same time? Bringing VA's in weekly is expensive and Sentai does not have as many current properties as Funimation to spread the cost between. Dubbing back-catalog shows that might sell and can be used to fill out the streaming catalog for HIDIVE makes sense.

Plus, depending on the anime franchise title, Sentai might already have all the necessary resources (masters, music rights, etc.) to give that franchise an Eng. dub, so they don't have to wait on the Japanese company for materials. Whether or not said franchise has already been released on a subbed-only box set may not matter.
Feli1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:40 am Reply with quote
I forgot this anime never had a dub back when I remembered it was a thing and wanted to lowkey rewatch it cause this lowkey was my shit and one of my first introduction to anime I remember putting a random episode and watching it with one of my lil bros he was so confused and I loved it ohh them good old days I remember them like it was yesterday....
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, Christmas came early this year! I’ve rewatched this franchise many times in Japanese and after many years, I never thought I’d ever see the day that this headline could become a reality until now. Smile I really hope that this means Sentai have finally nabbed the OVAs and will dub them as well as the Darkness episodes. I’m really looking forward to seeing who will be casted and I wish Sentai good luck in finding the best people to voice these characters. I’m grinning ear to ear right now as I’m hopeful that this can help increase its’ popularity among English-speaking viewers and bring in new fans to this franchise.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
Been waiting for this for a long time. Hope Sentai releases the ENTIRE series with OVA's in 2 versions. Version one with all the gingerbread (cards, book, toys, stickers etc>) and one with just a sturdy shelf friendly chipboard box and maximum video minutes at a decent price point...and as long as the dub gets a quality treatment. Disposable income is getting harder and harder to generate. Thanks, Sentai... I'm looking forward to you doing this more... and I will support it.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
I've also been wishing this had an English dub. When the English voices are announced, and finally released, give the English dub a chance.

Purists are so ignorant. They're not even willing to give a dub a chance.

Well, I will give the English dub a chance, and so should everyone else. If you like it, great. If not, then stick to the Japanese. That's what I've done with Queen's Blade. I gave the English dub a chance, but decided to watch it Japanese instead. Some voices work, some do not.

Point being: give something a chance before condemning something that was just announced.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
I'm willing to give the dub a chance, but not willing to purchase the series again. The only things I buy multiple copies of are U2 albums.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely a good thing for me. When I'm in a trashy, "feed me anime tiddy through a funnel" mood, I don't want to read my trashy entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
I've also been wishing this had an English dub. When the English voices are announced, and finally released, give the English dub a chance.

Purists are so ignorant. They're not even willing to give a dub a chance.

Well, I will give the English dub a chance, and so should everyone else. If you like it, great. If not, then stick to the Japanese. That's what I've done with Queen's Blade. I gave the English dub a chance, but decided to watch it Japanese instead. Some voices work, some do not.

Point being: give something a chance before condemning something that was just announced.

For me it depends on the show. Like, I won't watch Baccano in anything but English because it happens entirely in the US. Similarly, it's like Black Lagoon was done in English first, because the CIA lady from the rip-off church keeps telling jokes that literally only work in English, so I can't imagine watching Black Lagoon in anything but English. And certain shows like Ghost Stories must be enjoyed in English because that's the entire point to that show. That ADV hated the original plot so much they turned it into a comedy and rewrote the story.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Between Brittany Lauda, Brittney Karbowski, Monica Rial, and Luci Christian, who do you think would be best for voicing Haruna and Lala? To me, these 4 ladies are the best choices.
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
*Deep breath, then exhales*

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!
This anime is a decade old. I'm surprised it took this long to get it dubbed!
I thought it was going to be Japan exclusive forever.

No English dub takes this long to get made.
And don't get me started with Escaflowne and Sailor Moon.
At least they got English Dubs BEFORE they were rereleased for new uncut English Dubs decades later.

This anime wasn't even dubbed once.
What's next? Future Boy Conan?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
NCfanboy1 wrote:
*Deep breath, then exhales*

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!
This anime is a decade old. I'm surprised it took this long to get it dubbed!
I thought it was going to be Japan exclusive forever.

No English dub takes this long to get made.
And don't get me started with Escaflowne and Sailor Moon.
At least they got English Dubs BEFORE they were rereleased for new uncut English Dubs decades later.

This anime wasn't even dubbed once.
What's next? Future Boy Conan?

Unless there was some Animax dub, the "Aria" anime franchise is still being dubbed.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Between Brittany Lauda, Brittney Karbowski, Monica Rial, and Luci Christian, who do you think would be best for voicing Haruna and Lala? To me, these 4 ladies are the best choices.

If there was a Sentai VA I think would be best for the voice of Haruna, I would say that Caitlynn French (Shiro in No Game No Life) should have a shot at auditioning for that character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4