• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub for To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Between Brittany Lauda, Brittney Karbowski, Monica Rial, and Luci Christian, who do you think would be best for voicing Haruna and Lala? To me, these 4 ladies are the best choices.

If there was a Sentai VA I think would be best for the voice of Haruna, I would say that Caitlynn French (Shiro in No Game No Life) should have a shot at auditioning for that character.

They should save money and just hire that guy from the Police Academy movies to do all the voicework and sound effects.
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
NCfanboy1 wrote:
*Deep breath, then exhales*

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!
This anime is a decade old. I'm surprised it took this long to get it dubbed!
I thought it was going to be Japan exclusive forever.

No English dub takes this long to get made.
And don't get me started with Escaflowne and Sailor Moon.
At least they got English Dubs BEFORE they were rereleased for new uncut English Dubs decades later.

This anime wasn't even dubbed once.
What's next? Future Boy Conan?

Unless there was some Animax dub, the "Aria" anime franchise is still being dubbed.

What's "Aria?"
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
NCfanboy1 wrote:

What's "Aria?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aria_(manga)

Like To Love Ru, it also had multiple releases before getting dubbed. RightStuf used Kickstarter to find the English dub production.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
As happy as I am to hear this I won't be double dipping and buying the entire series on BR a second time. Maybe in a few years when it gets a "classics"/"SAVE" style release I'll double dip.

Considering how long the series has been out with some of the earlier seasons I think Sentai might be overestimating how much they are going to make with this. I think this decision is a day late and a dollar short as the saying goes. I suppose it could drive up some viewership on HiDive for the show but I doubt the BR sales are going to be great.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
But seriously, no one wanted this. NO ONE.

Considering how late of a dub this is, I would assume they had metrics that showed dubbing this would make a lot of sense even this late in the game. I doubt it was random, on a whim, throwing darts at a board, or any scenario where they didn't see data to validate the decision.
Animebryan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I find it hard to remember that Sentai Filmworks is the reincarnation of ADV. ADV never hesitated to dub all kinds of anime, but to have Sentai Filmworks rise from it's ashes & develop a bad reputation for releasing Sub only anime, I eventually despised them

So its good to see them taking dubbing seriously. I was starting to think that all the damn dub haters out there were the reason they weren't dubbing to begin with which is why dub haters are truly cancer to the dubbing industry.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
Animebryan wrote:
I find it hard to remember that Sentai Filmworks is the reincarnation of ADV. ADV never hesitated to dub all kinds of anime, but to have Sentai Filmworks rise from it's ashes & develop a bad reputation for releasing Sub only anime, I eventually despised them

So its good to see them taking dubbing seriously. I was starting to think that all the damn dub haters out there were the reason they weren't dubbing to begin with which is why dub haters are truly cancer to the dubbing industry.

Sentai's decisions to release titles sub-only never had anything to do with "dub haters" or "not taking dubbing seriously," and they'd certainly never shied away from dubbing content from To Love-Ru's genre, like Maburaho, Yumeria, Rahxephon, UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie, and so forth. No, the decisions had everything to do with money. Back in the mid/late-2000s, ADV and others were losing money by dubbing marginal/niche titles. While dubs traditionally increase sales over a sub-only version, the increases companies were seeing were not enough to cover the costs of dubbing. Combined with increasing license prices and flat/declining overall sales, it was a recipe for financial disaster.

By releasing titles sub-only, they maybe didn't see as many sales, but their costs were lower, meaning they could maintain a positive cash flow and the ability to continue licensing and dubbing other titles. Would you rather Sentai had a reputation as a "sub-only company" or as a "failed company"?

And in Sentai's defense, they did go back and dub a number of early-2010s releases if the sub-only versions sold well. Like Clannad, Blue Drop, Ghost Hound, Maria Holic, MM!, Mayo Chiki, Tears to Tiara, etc..

Given the choice of a sub-only release or a dual-language release with a poor-quality, low-budget, minimum-effort dub that comes off sounding like rushed subtitle script readthroughs (like many of Sentai's early 2010s dubs were), I'd rather companies saved their money and gave me the former.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4