• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Original Eva English Cast Petition to Re-Dub Series for Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
You know Netflix is gonna spring for a B-A list cast, which may or may not be roped into redubbing the Rebuild films.

Who wants David Tenant as Gendo?

The old cast was held up as what was wrong with early dubs. Bring in the celebrities.

Last edited by Beatdigga on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd want the old cast back, but this is similar to Sailor Moon where some will be sad while others will be extremely happy for different talent.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
You know Netflix is gonna spring for a B-A list cast, which may or may not be roped into redubbing the Rebuild films.

Who wants David Tenant as Gendo?

The old cast was held up as what was wrong with early dubs. Bring in the celebrities.

You do realize that they're too expensive to use, right?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why Netflix would use a celebrity cast for an Eva redub when they hadn't for any of their other anime.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Somehow Rooster Teeth afforded them.

Besides, that’s not my main point. My main point is this is a much bigger company than ADV, a company that’s original business model was selling really expensive VHS’s and DVD’s at the back end of a Suncoast that had at most, 4 episodes a disc. Netflix meanwhile paid $100 million to stream Friends. People will expect better than the original cast.
Cat's Tuxedo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Um, no thanks. It's high-time we got an actual woman to voice Shinji. Please?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Somehow Rooster Teeth afforded them.

Besides, that’s not my main point. My main point is this is a much bigger company than ADV, a company that’s original business model was selling really expensive VHS’s and DVD’s at the back end of a Suncoast that had at most, 4 episodes a disc. Netflix meanwhile paid $100 million to stream Friends. People will expect better than the original cast.

That's a different thing.

This is more of an anime redub than an original project and they still tend to use the standard LA dubbing pool in these dubs, so you shouldn't expect them to pick celebrities in this one either.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I feel confident that no one expects to hear David Tenant in Eva.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel confident that no one expects to hear David Tenant in Eva.

Well of course. But I’m expecting someone union, rather than ADV’s regulars.
KupoChris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Just re-dub the whole show with Tone Loc and Gilbert Gottfried and call it a day.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This would be really strange since the Rebuild movies are still going strong with Spike Spencer as Shinji, Allison Keith as Misato, and Tiffany Grant as Asuka (Keith is especially strong in the movies), along with excellent performances from Brina Palencia as Rei, John Swasey as Gendo, Colleen Clinkenbeard as Ritsulo, and Jerry Jewell as Kaworu. Having a new separate dub for the anime without any of them would be really odd. Hopefully any Blu-ray release will include both dubs. The original Eva dub was a product of its time, but it was still a very ambitious project for its era, and it’s an important part of US anime history.

I can largely say the same about Sailor Moon’s original dub (the DiC era), which was severely edited, but otherwise a solid production for its era and a voice cast that became well known (for better or worse) among the fan base. A redub was far more understandable there because of the editing, but fans are still petitioning to get Viz to release it (I don’t think they can, even if they wanted).
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Personally, I've never felt that a dub actor being 'iconic' to a role is justification to keep them around. I disliked how the dub for the Digimon Adventure Tri kept most of the Saban cast, although given they replaced Butterfly with the Digirap I take it they didn't care about fans of the original to begin with.

For what it's worth, they only did that for the first two movies. And you know, the subbed version is right there on the disk anyway so it's hard to say they don't care when it's the first time the original of Digimon has been so widely available.

I have no interest in Eva, but it seems like it would make sense to at least match the cast with the 'recent' Rebuild movies, unless Funimation's handling of the last one will screw them out of getting the new one whenever that happens. It's generally kind of a bummer that dub casts can end up being replaced so much while the Japanese casts usually get to stay the same.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
For a company that's in debt, Netflix is really throwing a lot of money on things.

It feels like Eva's got a lot of redubs between the compilation films, the Platinum version, and Rebuild. How many times can one watch the same scene of Shinji freaking out over seeing his Eva's face for the first time?

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow I was not expecting so much negativity, but then again dub haters are a loud bunch and apparently experts in what constitutes as "acting" (color me surprised).

In any case, my two cents:

1) I would be down for a redub of the original Eva with the old cast. I think the original dub is fine, but seeing some of these actors return to the role would be wonderful. If anyone else is excited, don't let these people bring you down.

2) Someone mentioned Gundam Seed. That redub is being done due to the remaster which has enough new scenes to warrant a redub and they got new people to play the roles anyway.

3) The original Berserk dub is fantastic.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Oh good, that original dub was absolutely horrid just like the Berserk dub. I just hope they get a completely different cast but not in the realm of AICO or some sh*t.

Wait, the original Berserk dub is considered bad? I imported the UK bluray last year, and have seen about half of it in dub (already seen it subbed), and the English cast is absolutely great from what I’ve seen, even when compared to modern dubs.

As for Netflix getting Eva, I can’t say if I’ll watch it on Netflix, and seeing as I’ve never seen the original dub I don’t really care if it gets redubbed. But I am excited as Netflix getting it may finally allow for negotiations for NA home video rights. I really want to own this series on bluray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7