• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Original Eva English Cast Petition to Re-Dub Series for Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Let's say that the original Eng. dub cast did reprise their roles. If it did work out, there would be consistency if all the original Eng. dub cast returned as their roles. However, that is unlikely as the whereabouts of some (Sue Ulu, Carol Amerson, etc.) are unknown.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
You can do a redub, but just have the original four (Spike, Allison, Amanda, and Tiffany). Other than that, cast how you like.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I would absolutely love for as much of the old cast to come back as possible, but it seems Netflix is shrugging them off. The only thing giving me hope right now is Amanda Winn Lee's tweet about the new dub director being "amazing" and saying "Eva is in good hands".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cat's Tuxedo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
Cat's Tuxedo wrote:
Um, no thanks. It's high-time we got an actual woman to voice Shinji. Please?

You realize Shinji isn't an "actual woman", right?

He was voiced by an actual woman in the original undubbed version, and it's the big reason he was actually tolerable there, rather than coming off as a whiny Morty as the dubs have made him out to be.
Stevangelion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The elitism in this thread is outstanding.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll listen to the redub when the series comes out on Netflix, but I'm dubious that any recasting of the major roles would be a major improvement, especially based on the recastings necessitated for the Rebuild movies. While the minor supporting roles were clearly weaker (and deserve the criticism that the dub gets), I've always found the core roles to be solid and appropriate, even Iconic in some cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Cat's Tuxedo wrote:
Teraman wrote:
Cat's Tuxedo wrote:

He was voiced by an actual woman in the original undubbed version, and it's the big reason he was actually tolerable there, rather than coming off as a whiny Morty as the dubs have made him out to be.

Uhhhhhh Shinji came out loooooooooong before Morty did.

And gender had nothing to do with making him tolerable. The specific VA voicing him just did a good job of it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
Cat's Tuxedo wrote:

Plus Megumi Ogata is a very, VERY special case. I mean, yikes, only Mitsuki Saiga can match her in the contralto department
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:

In fact, Eva being redubbed would be the first big case of this in the US, wouldn't it?
If we're counting redubbing old Streamline Pictures anime, it would have been Disney redubbing Kiki and Castle in the Sky first and then Pioneer's redub of Akira.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I signed and shared it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd prefer an Evangelion dub where Shinji isn't a stereotypical caricature of a whiny coward

I'd like a series where Shinji isn't a coward but but we wouldn't have Evangelion then, would we?

My interest in this has gone from "Oh!" to "Oh." My own experience with iconic dubs being buried is just to shake my head and quietly walk away; For good and bad, it's part of the show's history... or, most likely, "was".
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I may be in the minority here (although since the petition has surpassed its original target, maybe not), but to me replacing Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato would be for me like replacing Trina Nishimura as Kurisu or Brina Palcenia as Touka. I think the Rebuild movies have proven that keeping Spike, Tiffany and Allison is the best thing, and though I absolutely love Brina I was still narked off they didn't bring Amanda back for the Rebuild series.

For those complaining about the original dub, it could be redone better by the cast this time around, and part of it has to do with the original source material too. Hell, in the dub, Tiffany and co actually made the German make sense compare to the JP version
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
You can do a redub, but just have the original four (Spike, Allison, Amanda, and Tiffany). Other than that, cast how you like.

But two of those (Spencer, Grant) were the worst performers in the original dub. Why re-up on the biggest flaws of the old dub?

Can we stop pretending the Evangelion dub is "iconic"? It wasn't beloved until they announced it would be re-dubbed. Even the old DBZ dub is more iconic, and it's worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Cat's Tuxedo wrote:
He was voiced by an actual woman in the original undubbed version

And? Imagine what it'd be like if dubs always followed the conventions of the original Japanese.

Kurama and Yoko Kurama in YYH would have different VAs even though that contradicts the original manga because nothing suggests they're supposed to be different entities.
The body swap in Murder Princess would have the voices switch with the characters' minds even though that doesn't make any sense.
No one in Desert Punk would have a voice filter when they're wearing a gas mask even though that makes their voices sound disembodied to an immersion-breaking degree.

The original approach isn't always the best.

Cat's Tuxedo wrote:
rather than coming off as a whiny Morty as the dubs have made him out to be.

I'm curious where this idea that Shinji isn't supposed to sound like a whiny bitch came from.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

But two of those (Spencer, Grant) were the worst performers in the original dub. Why re-up on the biggest flaws of the old dub?

Can we stop pretending the Evangelion dub is "iconic"? It wasn't beloved until they announced it would be re-dubbed. Even the old DBZ dub is more iconic, and it's worse.

I mean you like to pretend it's atrocious lol.

The 4 mentioned are very important. I would also really love to have Greg Ayres back as Kaworu. I loved his performance for the directors cut.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7