• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Switches to Free Simultaneous Publication

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I'm a little unsure how to feel about the tenor of a lot of the reactions I've seen, along the lines of "This is good because it'll prove beyond all doubt that THOSE people are full of garbage and selfish liars and hypocrites and deserve all the hate I have for them etc. etc."

Like... there's plenty of other reasons why it's good beyond spite and vindication of anger. It's good for Viz, it's good for Shueisha, it's good for mangaka, it's good for readers.

(Am I making any sense here?)

People are people, but I understand why some of them are like that. Give it about a week and they will calm down
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
That's pretty amazing and just killed any good reason people have of pirating these titles. .

I imagine people will still read the leaks because they want to know stuff that happens ASAP.

But it really depends on the title. Viz has a habit of censorship and terrible translations. I personally wouldn't pay a dime for their versions of stuff like Hikaru no Go, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragonball, Shaman King, or many other titles they have under their belt.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
[

Not true. I have every issue from January 2012 until now available to read in my library (since I've been a subscriber the entire time).

The question is:
Are they about to take these away from me?

They won't, here the quote
Quote:
How about my Weekly Shonen Jump issues?
Any Weekly Shonen Jump back issues you currently own will remain available for you to read at any time.

Lord Oink wrote:

I imagine people will still read the leaks because they want to know stuff that happens ASAP.

But it really depends on the title. Viz has a habit of censorship and terrible translations. I personally wouldn't pay a dime for their versions of stuff like Hikaru no Go, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragonball, Shaman King, or many other titles they have under their belt.

Shaman King is in a gray spot since it no longer Shueisha or part of Jump anymore. But I believe they using the digital version of the Manga, I believe Dragon Ball will be using the good translations but I don't know if Hikaru no Go or Yu-Gi-Oh have a good translations version in English
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

Not true. I have every issue from January 2012 until now available to read in my library (since I've been a subscriber the entire time).

The question is:
Are they about to take these away from me?

Here's how it'll work, if I understand correctly:

All current subscribers will maintain access to the volumes of Weekly Shonen Jump published during their subscription. If you started subscribing in 2012, all those individual issues up to the Dec 10th issue will be available through your account, same as always.

Starting Dec 17th, all the series published in Weekly Shonen Jump will instead be published individually, on Viz's site, similar to how other Free series (DB Super, MHA Vigilantes) have been. These chapters will be free for all readers visiting the site/using the app. Going forward the 3 most recent chapters will be available free at any given time.

Moving forward, rather than a yearly subscription to you Weekly Shonen Jump, people can pay for monthly subscriptions to Shonen Jump, and receive access to the digital backlog of Jump titles. Supposedly this will include nearly every Shonen Jump series Viz has digital rights to, number over 10,000 chapters total.

Anyone with a currently active subscription (say, you purchased an annual sub in March) will be considered grandfathered in to this new subscription until the end of their current sub, with an additional 3 months added on. For instance, my subscription was due to expire in Jan. 2019, but now I'll be given this new model through April instead.

There's also mention of "more series" being added to the Simulpub lineup, but currently these series should continue being simulpubbed at the very least:
My Hero Academia
One Piece
The Promised Neverland
Dr. Stone
Boruto
Black Clover
We Never Learn
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
One-Punch Man
World Trigger
Hunter x Hunter
Seraph of the End
Blue Exorcist
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

All around this seems like a pretty cool development, my one question is if this will change or end the Jump Start initiative they've been doing with the magazine the last few years. It was always cool to see new series as they debuted in Japan, and I hope that will continue in some form or another.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
There will be no personal insults. Already removed a few posts.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I've followed Shonen Jump ever since the print magazine ages ago. I was sad when it moved to digital-only, and I'm even sadder now that even the digital magazine is going away. Feels like the end of an era.

But! I do think the replacement is a good idea. It's hard to turn down supporting the legal option when it's available free. The new price is a lot more affordable too. (though oof, I regret paying full price for a 2019 subscription now)

I'm most interested in the backlog component. I'll reserve judgment until I see what titles it offers, but I'm really excited about the possibilities. There's a lot of Viz manga I've wanted to read or catch up on, and this might give me the opportunity I've been longing for.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you mean that after all this time of people wanting a service like this that they're finally going to offer it? Good Job. I know this won't eliminate all of the piracy, but will likely curb it.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
Kudos to Shonen Jump in taking the leap. Reading free manga the same week will encourage traffic for legal manga and the costs for subscription sounds very fair. Hopefully the Japanese Headquarters will soon take suit. Perhaps this is a test to see if the business model works before trying in Japan?

And was not aware they still gave out Yu-Gi-Oh cards for subscribers. Thought that ended when they ended print. Ah well!

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
How are they going to make any sort of profit?

Subscriptions, Website Advertising, Business Partnerships.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Will the back catalog include older series Viz published like Patlabor, even if they went unfinished? I'd like to show readership for those so there's a chance they continue.

Patlabor was published in Shonen Sunday, so it probably won't be part of the WSJ back catalog.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
This is kind of funny considering i was doing an annual subscription at the moment and was planning to drop it in about a month or two. Thanks for the free three months I guess.

I would've paid double for translated physical copies of the magazine itself, like the old days, but considering this is going in the opposite direction as that, I guess jump must be really desperate.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly a little baffled by the "print or go home" attitude I see so often on this forum. Sure, if you're a collector you'd probably want physical volumes, but not everyone is - most people just want to read the latest chapters of manga they're following, or want to browse to find something new to read. And seriously, what are you even doing with the print magazines you buy? If it's weekly releases - where are you putting them all? And if you just buy them and then throw them out, what does it even matter if it's digital or print?

SWAnimefan wrote:
Kudos to Shonen Jump in taking the leap. Reading free manga the same week will encourage traffic for legal manga and the costs for subscription sounds very fair. Hopefully the Japanese Headquarters will soon take suit. Perhaps this is a test to see if the business model works before trying in Japan?

You've got it the wrong way around. This type of business model has been used in Japan for quite a long time now, in fact with digital manga distribution (that is not tankoubons/magazines distributed as ebooks) this is the predominant model: the first couple of chapters and the latest couple of chapters are available for free, while the rest is available for money (or you can buy the tankoubons I guess). In theory it's a pretty good idea: if you read only one or two series from a magazine now you don't have to buy the whole magazine just to get the updates for those series, you can read them for free, or if you need to catch up you can buy manga separately by the chapter.

The reasons why it doesn't have a stronger presence in manga publishing, period, are easy to understand:

- Publishers are taking tiny little baby steps but still have a long way to understand that the world has irrevocably changed, and perhaps they should face the 21st century and just let print go. Publishers still try to get you to buy print magazines, first and foremost, and until very recently digital was seen only as a secondary option. Because oh no, it's something new and strange, also oh no, we're putting it on the internet, it will surely get pirated. Until relatively recently these online services weren't really advertised, lot of people weren't even aware of their existence. This attitude has been changing, though, since the industry has realized that people will pirate from pretty much anything, including print, so publishing online is not an invitation to pirate.

- The business model works only if you're actively following a series, or if there's an option to buy a subscription and then have access to all chapters. Otherwise the sample chapters are usually useless to judge whether you really want to sink money and time into a series (especially if it's a long one), especially in case of weekly releases where the chapters are very short.

- Buying per-chapter instead of per-series means that money still adds up, and it's actually not much of a deal (or at all). They cleverly make it so that you usually have to pay with points or coins to soften the pain, but you do have to pay for to obtain those points and coins.

And of course there's the problem that most of these services are only available in Japan, and you can only pay with domestic options. So people outside are geoblocked out of the whole thing.

Little by little things are improving, though. Some publishers thankfully avoid geoblocking. Others (for example Bunch's online manga service) now release chapters of their currently serialized manga online, all for free, usually without geoblocking - with the caveat that these releases are usually slower, and they keep it so that the free chapters are way behind the for-pay options (tankoubon, magazine, etc). So you can start reading a manga for free with no restrictions, and if you find yourself liking it and you want more, you can pay to catch up. I think this is a pretty neat idea.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
I think it's funny that they're doing FREE simultaneous distribution and some people are like this is a bad deal or screw Viz I'm still pirating. Some of y'all are legit pirates. You enjoy sailing the open seas and stealing stuff. These companies will never really be able to court you unless they can add in like "the danger of getting caught by your ISP" or "the skill test of setting up a VPN to hide torrent traffic" or "the hunt of finding a pirating site that isn't too littered with ads and has good quality" and "the thrill of maybe getting a virus or a troll file".

Animorphimagi wrote:
I would've paid double for translated physical copies of the magazine itself, like the old days, but considering this is going in the opposite direction as that, I guess jump must be really desperate.

Is that double as in 2 x $0.99? I'm just saying... who is surviving in the USA selling 100+ page magazines for $2? I don't know if I'd point that as desperation as opposed to non-suicidal magazine practices.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
But! I do think the replacement is a good idea. It's hard to turn down supporting the legal option when it's available free. The new price is a lot more affordable too. (though oof, I regret paying full price for a 2019 subscription now)

Maybe I've misread something along the way here here, but the full price for a yearly subscription was $26/yr? The new $2/month rate will be $24/year (if you stay subscribed the whole year and don't jump in and out). And apparently they're adding three free months to any grandfathered subscriptions? Sooooo... no loss there?

Last edited by lys on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
That's pretty amazing and just killed any good reason people have of pirating these titles. .

A habit of it? There translation for all there ongoing JUMP series is the best one out there. The pirates translate so fast that they don't care for quality.

And when is the last time they censored anything?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Will the back catalog include older series Viz published like Patlabor, even if they went unfinished? I'd like to show readership for those so there's a chance they continue.

Patlabor was published in Shonen Sunday, so it probably won't be part of the WSJ back catalog.

They should still continue it though if the Urusei Yatsura rerelease does well. Too many of the Shogakukan stuff gets left by the wayside.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4