• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Switches to Free Simultaneous Publication

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
So, couple quick questions. Is that 'limited to 100 chapters a day' thing only for the free version, or would that still be a thing on the paid version as well? I tend to do a lot of my reading at work lately, and on my 11 hour days, I can usually blow through close to that pretty easily, so if I were to get cut off at that point and not be able to read any further just yet and be left with nothing else to do, that would...not be great. Confused

Also, would we likely have the ability to temporarily download said chapters for reading offline like with the digital magazine version? Because again, much of my reading is done at work, where there's no internet connection, soo...that could be an issue for me too.

Hopefully neither of these would be an issue, because man that's a great deal if it'll work well for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
While I think this is a fantastic idea. I have a couple of points that folks haven’t raised so far that I’d like answered (if possible)

Does this service allow you to store chapter on your device for reading where you have no internet access? The advantage of buying the digital volumes as collected was you had them in your device and could read them anywhere (which I did while traveling to Switzerland this year)

The follow up question is whether or not the service is geoblocked? Or: I buy the subscription to my device in Canada can I still access it if I’m in an area where Viz doesn’t have publishing rights?

These kind of questions do need answering before you convince some folks of its value.

NefCanuck
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
A habit of it? There translation for all there ongoing JUMP series is the best one out there. The pirates translate so fast that they don't care for quality.

And when is the last time they censored anything?

Well, the Dragonball manga is still censored to this day with every release in America, even the full-color release they advertised as "totally uncensored' but I don't really follow American versions much. I'm old enough to remember their censoring of Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragonball, Shaman King, Hikaru no Go, Naruto, and lots of other big titles though.

Although I imagine it's safe to say they censor the names in Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, One Piece, and all the various Yu-Gi-Oh series still for legal reasons. And they probably use the American names and terms in various series rather than the Japanese ones.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
A habit of it? There translation for all there ongoing JUMP series is the best one out there. The pirates translate so fast that they don't care for quality.

And when is the last time they censored anything?

Well, the Dragonball manga is still censored to this day with every release in America, even the full-color release they advertised as "totally uncensored' but I don't really follow American versions much. I'm old enough to remember their censoring of Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragonball, Shaman King, Hikaru no Go, Naruto, and lots of other big titles though.

Although I imagine it's safe to say they censor the names in Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, One Piece, and all the various Yu-Gi-Oh series still for legal reasons. And they probably use the American names and terms in various series rather than the Japanese ones.

So it's mostly names then for a few old series? Actual censorship wouldn't past today. All the newer series have zero censorship in them.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, What I said was wrong.

Last edited by Black Turtle on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
So, couple quick questions. Is that 'limited to 100 chapters a day' thing only for the free version, or would that still be a thing on the paid version as well? I tend to do a lot of my reading at work lately, and on my 11 hour days, I can usually blow through close to that pretty easily, so if I were to get cut off at that point and not be able to read any further just yet and be left with nothing else to do, that would...not be great. Confused

I don't think they have enough weekly releases to add up to a hundred chapters, even with the three most recent releases available.

But 100 chapters is equivalent to ten volumes. If you're reading that much each day, you'll get through all of One Piece, DB, Bleach and Naruto in a single month. I think that's worth two bucks even with the limitations.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Maybe I've misread something along the way here here, but the full price for a yearly subscription was $26/yr? The new $2/month rate will be $24/year (if you stay subscribed the whole year and don't jump in and out). And apparently they're adding three free months to any grandfathered subscriptions? Sooooo... no loss there?

You didn't misread anything - turns out I overlooked that tidbit. Disregard my previous complaint. Smile
Mario Di Giacomo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Will the titles that are currently published in WSJ in Japan all get released on the same day?

If not, will there be some way to set up alerts so I know when they are available?
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Mario Di Giacomo wrote:
Will the titles that are currently published in WSJ in Japan all get released on the same day?

If not, will there be some way to set up alerts so I know when they are available?

https://www.viz.com/read

Pull up any Viz manga you like from here, and then when you pull up the series respective page, there should be a subscribe option. If you do that, you'll get emailed whenever a new free chapter is uploaded.
miraclekid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
For anyone who wants an idea of what'll be available in the back catalog, I would say these series are definite:

Assassination Classroom
Bakuman.
Black Cat
Black Clover
Bleach
Boruto
Buso Renkin
Cowa!
Cross Manage
Death Note
D. Gray-man
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Super
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu!!
Hikaru no Go
Hunter x Hunter
I''s
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
Kuroko's Basketball
Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation
My Hero Academia
Naruto
Nisekoi
One Piece
Pretty Face
The Promised Neverland
Psyren
The Prince of Tennis
Sand Land
Strawberry 100%
Toriko
We Never Learn!
Whistle!
World Trigger
Yu-Gi-Oh! (and whatever related series)
ZombiePowder.

(This is essentially a list of series that Viz has still the rights to and has released digitally.)

Some out-of-print/not available digitally or unfinished titles that are up in the air:

Eyeshield 21
Gintama
Reborn!
Rurouni Kenshin (mainly because of the controversy)
Shaman King (it's more likely that Kodansha does something with this one)
Slam Dunk
Video Girl Ai
Yu Yu Hakusho

Not sure how they feel about Monthly Shonen Jump/Jump Square titles, so these are just slight possibilities right now:

Blue Exorcist
Claymore
Platinum End
Rosario + Vampire
Seraph at the End
Tegami Bachi

A pretty good guesstimate I'd say, though some of the series you categorized in the last two groups I'm particularly interested in... Anime cry

I do hope, moving forward, that this new format is a success and it leads to other imprints getting the same treatment, like Shojo Beat. Maybe the rest of the industry will follow too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
1dbad wrote:
But! I do think the replacement is a good idea. It's hard to turn down supporting the legal option when it's available free. The new price is a lot more affordable too. (though oof, I regret paying full price for a 2019 subscription now)

Maybe I've misread something along the way here here, but the full price for a yearly subscription was $26/yr? The new $2/month rate will be $24/year (if you stay subscribed the whole year and don't jump in and out). And apparently they're adding three free months to any grandfathered subscriptions? Sooooo... no loss there?

I just renewed my subscription for 2019, and got a convention special rate, now I'm confused: will what I paid buy only 3 months vs. A year, or will Viz refund my money? Or some of my money? (If they were planning this, they could have held off on selling new subscriptions starting in 2019...)
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
What you paid for gets you a year. Then because you're a subscriber at the time of the switch, you'll get 3 more months added on. For example, prior to this update, my subscription ends next February. After December 17, I expect to see its expiration date moved back to May.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
So if I were to buy a yearly subscription to Shonen Jump right now, I would get 15 months of the new membership for $26?
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what to think about this choice. On one hand, they could seriously hobble their manga sales if you can just read everything you want, but on the other hand the NA market doesn't buy a lot of manga as it is so maybe it will be a net gain for them. (The French market is 5x the size of US sales, for example)

At the same time, "in the areas Viz operates in" means geoblocking just like with the magazine. Which means it won't functionally do anything about industrial-scale piracy operations like Mangastream who rake in huge sums of money from ads on their scanlations. They steal the print edition as soon as its delivered, so their stuff gets posted online days before the magazine even goes on sale, so even same-day simulpubs won't impact the impatient crowd that wants the chapters "faster". (Even if its still only one every 7 days regardless lol)
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
What you paid for gets you a year. Then because you're a subscriber at the time of the switch, you'll get 3 more months added on. For example, prior to this update, my subscription ends next February. After December 17, I expect to see its expiration date moved back to May.

Thanks for explaining it, I was honestly confused. OK, this makes it soooo much easier to catch up on the series I've fallen behind on (Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, Boruto) while continuing with the series I've kept up with (Blue Exorcist, Seraph of the End) and try out new stuff. Looking forward to it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4