• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Ghost in the Shell Anime to Premiere on Netflix in 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
So is there some clause at Netflix that says they won't fund anime unless it's CG? Because part of the reason I enjoy anime it's traditionally animated. But annoncements like this and Saint Seiya are just soured and kill my interest when it's mentioned they're just be all CG.
Zof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
So is there some clause at Netflix that says they won't fund anime unless it's CG? Because part of the reason I enjoy anime it's traditionally animated. But annoncements like this and Saint Seiya are just soured and kill my interest when it's mentioned they're just be all CG.

I guess. You'd just have to ignore the 96 percent of it that isn't to make your point.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
It's not a hard concept to grasp. The childish whining children complaining about CGI in Anime in 2018 should seriously shut the hell up. All available evidence points to this fact.

Your blithering seems to lack any Evidence as you have failed to mention examples.
milkyy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
I didn't see this info anywhere, but the artist who drew the visual is named Ilya Kuvshinov. Her art is always pleasant and glowy, but this piece looks like absolutely everything else she's ever drawn and doesn't give me any "ghost in the shell" vibes aside from the fact that I know that's Makoto. It looks like they contacted her for a fanart piece, not a "lead visual to sell a show" piece
Zof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
IboughtYoulunch13times wrote:
Lol, now I know how heavily moderated this place is.

I don't yet so I've been very carefully testing the boundaries.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
None of this is news per see, we knew most of this for 2 years, but sure Netflix it is. No other audience will care anyway. I would like a sequel to one of the anime canons for once. And they advanced the canon´s timeline by about 2 decades. It would be cool if the anime and our timeline again diverged in the 90s and thus went even crazier with the futurism instead of just changing numbers.

A full CG art and animation style would also be nice, just to stand apart from the other versions.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
Hey yall.

(waves)

I'm generally a good guy. A literal force for good.

(please make sure to delete this post later moderator because it is an off-topic post)

Sidenote: Later Moderator is fun to say. Try it.

I'm old. I know PHI is all tricky and stuff in 2018. So let's just say, I'm approaching 50. I still have fond memories about The Eiger Sanction and Atragon and watched FarScape and SG1 and that new fangled Star Trek, Next Generation! when they aired. I had a stupidly cool uncle that worked for an outfit called DARPA that got me hooked on Macross and the show that would define my life, which seems so lame now. It was G-Force.

I had no idea that was actually Gatchman Ninja Force Something. I just know, I watched specialized vehicles tunnel into the Earth. I watched heroes using TECHNOLOGY. I watched plots that resonated with the kinds of science I was interested in. LATER I found Doctor Who (Tom Baker version) on PBS, and fell in love with that. And that took me away from Anime until I saw Urotsukidoji. And I'm going to be lame enough to admit, it did get me back into Anime. Despite the, well, Urotsikidojiness of it. I mean it was original. It was the first of... something. So I cant get away with that descriptor.

I come from an age where we were, I'm sorry, we were meaner and chiller and honestly cooler.

I have proof. Here's one of the smartest songs ever written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxvUncWei48

That song wouldn't even make it past YouTube filters if it was released today because of stupid politics.

We take ourselves much more serious now.

I am getting used to it slowly.

But, it's very hard to not troll sensitive people when it used to be the right thing to do. Because you were helping them reach how reality works.

Now, George Carlin would be called a terrorist and get arrested just for doing his 1980 Madison Square Garden show.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
All I'll say is that none of the Sola digital animated-in-anime style have looked oustanding so far. Not Polygon studio levels bad, but not great either. ufotable and Sanzigen does much better 3DCG.
Quote:
Netflix referred to the project as an "original anime series"

well that's what they literally call all of their licenses despite not owning, producing or planning the show, so much so, the "original anime" moniker is entirely meaningless, especially when the franchise is already developed and owned by another party. Polygon studios interview explicitly stated Netflix to be paying license fees. An original IP owner does not pay a license fee to stream something someone else developed.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
IboughtYoulunch13times wrote:
Lol, now I know how heavily moderated this place is.

I don't yet so I've been very carefully testing the boundaries.

There you have it. Half the thread was just shitposting, and I deleted it. Please don't test the boundaries any further, or we'll have to put you on moderation.

The boundary is at pointless bickering about stuff like this. If you disagree with someone, just say what you think and why you think what you think. This goes not just of Zof but everyone in here.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
I'm just disappointed that since its Netflix, that means there isn't going to be a home release.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
I can agree with the spirit of what Zof wrote. It's definitely true that 3DCG quality from multiple decades ago was not superior to current 3DCG in anime.

Beyond anime, I can remember the time when Transformers: Beast Wars was considered cool. That CG has aged rather poorly, yes, but today a relatively low budget 3DCG anime looks a hundred times better than Beast Wars.

Which is part of why I think more people should have a better sense of perspective. We should appreciate just how much CG has improved, in general, even outside of the very few 3DCG anime that manage to become popular in this day and age.

I can imagine that the new 3DCG Ghost in the Shell will already have a good chance of receiving a mixed response, visually speaking, even before we start to discuss the story or the characters.

Apparently, you DIDN'T see Infini-T Force and it wasn't made decades ago!
jroa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:11 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Apparently, you DIDN'T see Infini-T Force and it wasn't made decades ago!

In response, I've just looked up a clip on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11g2HPVbuEM

Perhaps you interpret it differently, but I don't think that changes the core argument. There are TV anime that look better than this clip and still get slapped over 3DCG complaints.

Last edited by jroa on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Now, I wonder if they will decide to get Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and friends to reprise as their respective roles. Doubtful.

Unless there's a deliberate decision to separate this from the earlier SAC productions, why wouldn't they? Have a bunch of the cast retired or moved out of LA?

Oops, not sure about them, but I know I somehow totally glossed over the SAC_2045 somehow, so that was my fear since that was reportedly something deliberate that happened with Arise, but now seeing the SAC in the title maybe that does improve the odds that the Japanese side won't push for a different cast like they reportedly did with both the English and Japanese for Arise. Which would be great, I'd so love to have the SAC cast back and I think all of them or almost all are still active.

SolHerald wrote:
I'm just disappointed that since its Netflix, that means there isn't going to be a home release.

Yeah. Hopefully one of the main anime publishers like Funi or Sentai can license it from them for home video like they have for Sidonia/Ajin and Seven Deadly Sins.

That said, I know what you mean, since the Netflix anime shows still waiting for home releases are starting to pile up now, after the first batch seemed to get home video announcements relatively timely. I'm still holding out hope that B: The Beginning, Last Hope (once the second part streams), AICO, Dragon Pilot, and ID-0, etc. get a home release...
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Quote:
Netflix referred to the project as an "original anime series"

well that's what they literally call all of their licenses despite not owning, producing or planning the show, so much so, the "original anime" moniker is entirely meaningless, especially when the franchise is already developed and owned by another party. Polygon studios interview explicitly stated Netflix to be paying license fees. An original IP owner does not pay a license fee to stream something someone else developed.

I quoted that phrase in the article not to highlight the "original" part, but to highlight that Netflix sent us an email that described the project as a "series" and as a "film," which was confusing, so we reached out for Netflix for comment and the company clarified it was a "series."
delectabit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
Ilya Kuvshinov art?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5