• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Ghost in the Shell Anime to Premiere on Netflix in 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for a more manga-influenced adaptation along the lines of the animation done for the old Ghost in the Shell video game (post intro: https://youtu.be/iTkOvNDhO_Y?t=110). Right now, given my tepid reaction to most CG-animated fare like the Appleseed stuff, I'm not exactly hyped, but I'm not totally surprised, either. When this was announced a while back, it sounded like it might lean in that direction based on Aramaki's involvement (and his recent productions). I like plenty of anime with CG, but CG-only anime, I'm not really drawn to.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Interesting annoucement, I'll hold out hope so long as the writers are japanese.. otherwise we will end up with Ghost in the Leftist especially with Netflix at the helm.

I'll keep my fingers crossed this turns out to be good.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
LuckyAstei wrote:
just once I'd love to see a GitS adaptation that gives the Major her personality from the Manga not the stoic stick of wood we got thanks to the Oshii adaptation.

I have to assume you haven't seen Stand Alone Complex? She's pretty fun there, not quite like her manga self but not a stick of wood either. She actually has more personality than she's ever had in the manga.

Personally, as much as I like GitS (Arise aside - I found that painfully mediocre) I'm very tired of all this nostalgia party that's going around. It's all "remember Property X that you loved way back? we're bringing it back! It'll be like in the good old days!" And sure, I guess fans of Fruit Basket can be happy that it's getting a new (full?) adaptation, and I'm going to give a chance to this new GitS, but I'd much rather see anime adaptations of properties that haven't been adapted yet (so many great manga! hell, so many great novels, Japanese or otherwise - and I'm not talking about LNs) or even original works that aren't made from a checklist of "What Made Anime I watched When I Was A Kid Cool" - by some American dude who stopped watching anime in the early '00s.

(Besides, GitS had been done to near perfection with SAC anyway, so why bother?)

I have she was still had her characterization was still wood in SAC, it's why I bemoan most GitS productions anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
marichan99

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
Is that visual Ilya Kuvshinov's art? It looks like her art style.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Now, I wonder if they will decide to get Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and friends to reprise as their respective roles. Doubtful.

I think it depends on who ends up with the North American license, but given Mary Elizabeth McGylnn has gotten roles in two separate Disney Star Wars series, I would think she has a strong chance of reprising her role as the Major. And if Mary gets signed on then surely Richard Epcar will also get contacted, because he's synonymous as Batou. As for the rest of the cast, who knows.

But what's disturbing is articles like this:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/netflix-ghost-in-the-shell-anime-series-2020-1202026562/

Quote:
Netflix Reviving ‘Ghost in the Shell’ as 2020 Anime — Please, No Whitewashed Voice Cast

I hope this wasn't serious. This is NOT an argument that we need in the Anime or Dubbing community.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I also must throw my hat into the ring as saying I prefer 2D. Or rather I very much love a well done 2D/3D hybrid. And Production I.G. has been very good with that. StandAlone Complex was great.

I'm okay with full CG in as much as I have higher expectations in terms of quality. Poorer quality CG really irks me. And no, I don't like how Knights of Sidonia was done, but at least it was no Berserk.

For me it'd have to either be on par with something like Cassette Girl (which is a lot of work) or it should go for full high end quality at 24 fps. So something akin to Square Enix Visual Works quality. In fact, many Japanese Video Game companies like Square Enix, Capcom, and Konami (at least when under Kojima) can do very good stuff in real time.

So if they're going full CG, then I would expect that they'd pull out all the stops for a high quality experience. The Starship Troopers movie looked pretty good by that group (but I'd expect better for GITS), but we need to distinguish between budgets for film/OVA projects versus something for a series.

But in my personal opinion the best stuff is when 2D/3D play well together, as they did in the original GITS, Innocence and StandAlone Complex. ARISE also wasn't bad.

That said, the opening full CG intros for the SAC episodes were not very good in my opinion. But we let it slide as it was just a credits sequence.

Also, if they're doing full CG I would also love it if they had stereoscopic 3-D for the blu-ray release.

SWAnimefan wrote:
I hope this wasn't serious. This is NOT an argument that we need in the Anime or Dubbing community.

Sadly people are just getting crazier as we go. This isn't about anything logical, it's basically like how during the French Revolution, everybody was so scared of being seen as a traitor that they began screaming louder and louder with more absurdities to show how loyal they were to the cause.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

People are serious about it in video games and western animation (black characters should only be voiced by black actors, etc) so I don't see why it shouldn't apply to anime as well. It'd be really hypocritical not to.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
People are serious about it in video games and western animation (black characters should only be voiced by black actors, etc) so I don't see why it shouldn't apply to anime as well. It'd be really hypocritical not to.

Which is still silly. It also works against the PC crowd, as actors like Christopher Judge are amazing as Kratos in God of War despite not being white or Greek. And so was Laura Bailey as Nadine Ross. And women are generally used for voicing very young boys in animation. In this case, it should be whoever is best for the voice role. And it's especially stupid considering the majority of American animation tends to be funny talking animals. Are we going to start casting based on which animals are local species in which country? And then what about the mo-cap stunt actors who perform action scenes and stunts that the voice actors don't? Do they need to match ethnicity and sex too? It's just dumb.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Netflix Reviving ‘Ghost in the Shell’ as 2020 Anime — Please, No Whitewashed Voice Cast

By logical extension, this would mean that any anime set in Japan and characters in other anime identifiable as Japanese nationals would have to be dubbed by people of Japanese nationality or ancestry. Probably severely reduce or end dubbing into English.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, all i can say is Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell was only version of the GitS i liked to be truthful. All the other versions seem to have completely drifted away from the original's mentality, just retaining the spirit of the story. SAC was good for what it was, but it wasn't like the original manga.

It's damn shame, Masamune Shirow doesn't do mangas anymore, not like Ghost in the Shell anyways.

Back to the man-cave
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5