• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: British Police Develop 'Psycho-Pass' AI to Predict Crimes Before They Happen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
The current government in Britain under the leadership of Teresa May and the Conservative Party is both evil and stupid enough to believable go through with this. So we should be very worried indeed of this becoming the way of the future.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
They are mimicking China already? https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-punishments-and-rewards-explained-2018-4, the examples they give of things China sees a punishable "buying too many video games" Rolling Eyes omg, this looks like a totalitarian nightmare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
Well, we knew it was going to happen eventually. The elephant in the room is whether or not such a system can be abused, or manipulated beyond how it is initially implemented. Have we really learned anything from the countless movies, TV shows, or books about this kind of situation? Where do boundaries or privacy stand in the intention to make the world a safer, happier place?
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
I bet the British wish they had this before discoverign the Americas Anime hyper

joking aside...

i see this causing crimes ot be "closed unjustly" in an innocent person is tagged and real criminal gets off scott free Sad

No AI in the world is advanced enoguh to justify it. Let alone if it does get used then gov will use it as ways to "silence" those who arent liked by it.

Imagine if Putin had this and started sayign the system warned them this anti-putin person was goign to commti a crime.

it just has so much room for abuse :/
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

No AI in the world is advanced enough to justify it. Let alone if it does get used then gov will use it as ways to "silence" those who aren't liked by it. Imagine if Putin had this and started saying the system warned them this anti-putin person was going to commit a crime.

it just has so much room for abuse :/
Same as in all countries, US and UK no exception, where the government wants to shut off the people who don't love how it works now at all and try to hide the facts. But hey, you don't even need to be in the future to know how it will abuse people - just look at how modern social media works.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
...well, that's the issue. This isn't the right way to go about it. There's a persistent belief that "crime" is caused by evil forces separate from normal society, and the only solution is to go after the bad people who do crimes and punish them. The police may claim they want to help these pre-crime suspects, but in practice this system will be ripe for abuse, just like the rest of our justice system.

Actual lasting crime reduction can only come about through structural changes to our society and culture that cut down on poverty, racism, and other factors that push people into situations where they're likely to resort to robbery or violence. Which has happened, to some degree, but we have a long way to go, and dystopian thoughtcrime technologies would only make the situation worse.

Wow this is so nicely put. Thank you for writing it.

Anyway, isn't the whole point of Psycho-Pass that this kind of system is not desirable and leads to a loss of free will and human empathy/connection? Sci-fi has been writing cautionary tales about this exact thing for centuries, and yet... People never seem to realize they're creating a dystopia until things all go up in flames.
otagirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
The police already do this type of criminal profiling.

Now they're just using advanced AI to help out. The thing with any new solution and technology is that people will always cry that it will be abused. The actual solutions are near impossible to implement in a capitalist society with limited resources. I'm glad that at least somebody is thinking of how to actually improve things rather than sitting around whining.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Britian just turned George Orwell's book "1984" into a documentary.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
Seems like a lot depends on how this is executed. If it's used to prejudicially pre-determine guilt, that's an obvious problem, and there's certainly scope for misusing the prediction of a neural net or whatever to do that. But if the predictions are just used to motivate follow-up assessments and offer access to social services or other resources, if deemed appropriate after follow-up, that just sounds like a more efficient version of what the police already try to do, and what they should be doing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
I dont know whether to think this is good or bad but I shall state my feeling on this in two words. United weeb-dom. That is all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
True, but a great number of crimes are totally preventable and the police's reluctance to do anything until someone gets hurt is a big factor in it. Even if this isn't the right way to go about it

...well, that's the issue. This isn't the right way to go about it. There's a persistent belief that "crime" is caused by evil forces separate from normal society, and the only solution is to go after the bad people who do crimes and punish them. The police may claim they want to help these pre-crime suspects, but in practice this system will be ripe for abuse, just like the rest of our justice system.

Actual lasting crime reduction can only come about through structural changes to our society and culture that cut down on poverty, racism, and other factors that push people into situations where they're likely to resort to robbery or violence. Which has happened, to some degree, but we have a long way to go, and dystopian thoughtcrime technologies would only make the situation worse.

Very nicely put. The intention of wanting to decrease crime is noble but how it is implemented is often less than noble. Even if an AI program can predict crime, technology not being perfect means too many false positive and false negatives are likely to happen.
A false positive, of course, is apprehending a person that are suspected of doing particular crime but they did not do that particular crime and a false negative is the opposite.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
And too think people complained that the Sybil System was unrealistic, no country would ever have anything like that, this show is absurd.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the Sybil System, though? There's scant evidence for us to even judge how well it will do predictively, and one of the central conceits of Psycho-Pass was that Sybil was nigh infallible (which this system certainly will not be). I think ya'll are getting a little carried away with the anime-to-real-life analogies here.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Considering how terrible previous IT projects in the UK have gone, the chances of this coming in time if at all is very low.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2