• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking Back on 20 Years of Studio Bones

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote
This was a great article. I had no idea the character designer for Bayamax once worked for Bones. Amazing! I cannot wait to see Carol and Tuesday. It looks like It will be another hit from Bones
tootbrush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote
Maybe in another 20 years they'll figure out what made Eureka Seven good and why fans like it so much, because they certainly haven't been able to in the past 10.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
When Bones makes a show, it's usually a safe bet that I'll watch it. They're still keeping a high standard of animation quality after 20 years, and I find it interesting that recent shows like Mob Psycho 100, Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan and even My Hero Academia are venturing more and more outside of the house style set by studio founders Hiroshi Osaka and Toshihiro Kawamoto.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Bones was one of the first anime studios I really started following devotedly when I was growing up in high school with classics like Angelic Layer, Scrapped Princess, and the original FMA. Bones is still one of my favorite anime studios. I always love how they focus on anime that are very creative and have a lot of emotional depth to them or are very thought provoking. I still need to watch a lot of their less talked about titles sometime. I didn't know Baymax was designed by a former Bones animator. I already loved Big Hero 6 a lot and knowing this makes me appreciate the film even more.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Bones really is a great studio with some of my favorites from them including:
RahXephon
Wolf's Rain
FMA (but especially the 2003 ver.)
Skull Man (Yes, I liked this one, too)
Ouran High School Host Club
Soul Eater
Darker than Black
Eureka Seven (One of the few examples of proving you can mix mecha and romance together even if some of the characters are some of the most unlikable POS you would ever see, Holland and Talho in particular)
Space Dandy
and I even liked Gosick.

Overall, great article.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I didn't know Baymax was designed by a former Bones animator.

Shigeto Koyama is mainly a designer. He worked as a freelancer on Heroman, Star Driver and Eureka Seven. He was also involved in various Trigger anime, like Kill la Kill and Darling in the Franxx. Watch out for his iconic designs!
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Bones is by far my favorite anime studio.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Maybe in another 20 years they'll figure out what made Eureka Seven good and why fans like it so much, because they certainly haven't been able to in the past 10.
IMO studios themselves aren't the ones to credit when a show is good, rather the writers and directors (sometimes producers) as a team within the studio are. The other artists have a good hand in making a good show too, please don't get me wrong but they don't shape the story or how it gets told artistically as much. That AO and the Good Night OVA turned out so poorly is testament to that since Dai Sato had nothing to do with either but was the principal writer and "series composition" person for the original E7. He was script writer for several Cowboy Bebop episodes and a fair share of GITS too BTW so that tells me he knows how to tell a story and make it interesting (and make sense...). The first HiEvol OVA was a disappointment in that regard for me because Sato-sensei was "back in the driver seat" I thought but the second OVA looks more like the original E7 so here's hoping.

All that said, I observe that FMA and several other great shows mentioned weren't stories the studio came up with at all actually, just that the mangaka's work looked like they had great potential to the staff who pitched the idea and the studio let them do it. E7, RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Space Dandy and Darker than Black were the only original works the studio did and RahXephon, despite being well done, was confusing enough that they had to do a compilation movie with new footage to fill in details and otherwise straighten out the story even for fans (I'm one). That one's on Izubuchi-san. I think this shows that Bones staff as a whole aren't that good at original stories, just making adaptations.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know that I would say Bones is bad at making original stories as a lot of the shows mentioned as "messes" still have a lot of fans years later as much as it is that Bones is bad at making sequels.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
^Not sure what you are referring to as "messes", I certainly didn't call anything that, but I think I am saying that Bones seems much better at making adaptations. I don't see many that weren't considered at least fairly good, as a percentage maybe +80% whereas their original stories are in the 20% range.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Some of the Bones anime i like are:

Soul Eater
Eureka Seven
Space Dandy
Tenkai Knights
and My Hero Academia
RogerSmith2004

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
tootbrush wrote:
IMO studios themselves aren't the ones to credit when a show is good, rather the writers and directors (sometimes producers) as a team within the studio are. The other artists have a good hand in making a good show too, please don't get me wrong but they don't shape the story or how it gets told artistically as much. That AO and the Good Night OVA turned out so poorly is testament to that since Dai Sato had nothing to do with either but was the principal writer and "series composition" person for the original E7. He was script writer for several Cowboy Bebop episodes and a fair share of GITS too BTW so that tells me he knows how to tell a story and make it interesting (and make sense...). The first HiEvol OVA was a disappointment in that regard for me because Sato-sensei was "back in the driver seat" I thought but the second OVA looks more like the original E7 so here's hoping.

All that said, I observe that FMA and several other great shows mentioned weren't stories the studio came up with at all actually, just that the mangaka's work looked like they had great potential to the staff who pitched the idea and the studio let them do it. E7, RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Space Dandy and Darker than Black were the only original works the studio did and RahXephon, despite being well done, was confusing enough that they had to do a compilation movie with new footage to fill in details and otherwise straighten out the story even for fans (I'm one). That one's on Izubuchi-san. I think this shows that Bones staff as a whole aren't that good at original stories, just making adaptations.

That tends to be the consensus; however, I think their original stories are usually way more interesting personally. I think a lot of their manga adaptations tend to be very straight forward and not that interesting by comparison, whereas a lot of their original works are really out there and experimental. Occasionally they'll do something really interesting with an adaptation like with the anime original stuff in FMA 03, the really unique animation styles of Mob Psycho 100, Matsumoto's directing in Kekkai Sensen, etc but I don't think stuff like Noragami and Hero Academia do more than what I'd usually expect from their talent. Not to say these are bad shows or anything of the sort, I just am more interested in their original stuff because it tends to give me more of what I want out of anime.

Stuff like RahXephon and Space Dandy having completely different teams in some episodes, the time skipping in Concrete Revolutio, the meta narrative of the first E7 Hi-Evolution film, the 2-episode arc structure of Darker Than Black, the sheer density of something like Captain Earth with its terminology and symbolism: that's what I watch anime for. With that in mind, I can respect that a majority of people probably would want something different from what I want, and that's why I'm glad that Bones are able to deliver some more straight forward material with adaptations like Noragami and HeroAca.

I also do agree that the staff are worth giving credit to as well, since it's their ideas that make the shows as good as they are, at least to me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote
Great article, one of my favorite studios. I'm definitely due for a re-watch on a bunch of these great shows.

Looking forward to Carol & Tuesday and also that third season of Bungou Stray Dogs I've been waiting for, along with an eventual US release of the movie.

Greed1914 wrote:
This was an interesting article. I was watching Concrete Revolution recently, and it occurred to me that Bones seemed to do a lot of anime originals.

Yeah. I've always loved them for that (and a good number of their great adaptations of course) and their expressive animation.

Always had a soft spot for Gonzo back in the old days thanks to their ambitions toward anime originals when they were a newer studio, until they started hitting more trouble. They've finally had a couple of nice shows again though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2