• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bloom Into You, Riddle Story of Devil Creators Talk Yuri in Latest Newtype Issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:04 am Reply with quote
Also, some people should stop calling themselves yuri fans by hogging on the likes of Idolmaster, Kancolle, Uma Musume, Zombieland Saga, and Pretty Cure and even seeing them as yuri classics. They are not doing the genre any favor when the girls they ship (literally for Kancolle) have interests in males who are the self-inserts and/or their romantic interests. No amount of fanarts and doujins is going to make them pander to them.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
@John Hayabusa Until this moment, I think I never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. You have attacked shows and their producers before, but now you turn on your fellow yuri fans, condemning those who find inspiration in shows that do not exclusively pander to them and demand they not call themselves yuri fans. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
@zrnzle500 You seem upset about the truth. Honestly, I see my yuri fan status as questionable, despite that I have watched popular yuri anime like Citrus, Yuru Yuri, and YagaKimi, the latter being the best one in recent years in my very honest opinion. Even still, it saddens me that yuri as the real deal is always looked down upon. Do you condone how those big names I mentioned basically treat yuri as a secondary or just a tool? Are you actually seeing them as inspirations due to their overall popularity, being cash cow franchises, and bigger target audience? Heck, do you support (heavily implied) lesbians being straight-shipped, something that Idolmaster and Precure fans love to do? That is so laughable, hilarious, and pathetic.

Japan would rather have a different kind of yuri, so long as it is not 100% Girls Love. That is what drives those two certain anime studios to make loads of money at the expense of fooling yuri fans. Because half-baked fanservice yuri sells, actual genuine yuri does not. These three authors make yuri because that genre is their passion. They do not have to complicate it like how Kashimashi and NTR Trap did with it, or how those aforementioned big names handle it. Their comments on the matter are straight-forward, no pun intended. They see it as a form of love, not hot lesbian action. There are great yuri fanart/doujin artists and writers out there. It is a shame some of them are putting their talent on series that do not see much value in them or the genre that these artists are passionate about.

You can call me cruel and reckless, I can call you clueless and ignorant. Seems for you, yuri is fine as long as it is just that: half-baked. As long as it just girls talking at a spitting distance, or a half-naked girl being on top of another girl, that is yuri for you. You asked me if I have sense of decency. I am expressing you and some yuri fans the cold harsh reality of yuri in Japan and that is my answer. Now I ask you, do you have any ounce of respect for REAL yuri, that is all about the legitimate romance between women?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
@John Hayabusa To that I will only reply that I agree that Bloom into You has been the best yuri anime I have seen in recent years and I hope to see more like it. I'd like to see Kase-san, as I have heard good things about that one too. While there is more that I could say, these will be the last words I say to you.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The creators shared a healthy respect for each other's works. Nakatani's favorite character from Riddle Story of Devil is Isuke Inukai, while Kouga and Minakata both like Sayaka Saeki from Bloom Into You. Kouga said that she would like to see Sayaka and Touko as a couple.

I'd say that's about right along with the other fans' favorites. Surprised

It's always a delight to hear about other female manga-ka talk about all things yuri.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2