• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Netflix Good For Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
LetMeLive wrote:
Even though The Seven Deadly Sins was popular, you actually don't HEAR about it a bunch. Nobody memes it, nobody discusses it, it's kind of a show that just *exists*

Are you waiting for the Netflix premier date with those shows, or are you watching them as they air in Japan and get fansubbed? If you're waiting for the Netflix premier date to talk about these shows, then I could see why you'd think that about anime on Netflix given the discussion for the show would no doubt be over by then.

Netflix definitely gets popular shows, but I don't know how many people actually wait for them to drop all the episodes.

You'd be surprised how many people don't pirate.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Binge watching is antithetical as to how anime is made to be watched. There always has been binge watching, but to have that as the only mode?

I almost never binge-watch shows on Netflix. I was already used to seeing recent-ish anime dubbed in Tagalog or subtitled in English being aired five days a week (or two on the weekend) on cable TV. Just because Netflix drops a whole season at once doesn't mean you have to binge-watch it.

Quote:
Overall Netflix isn't doing much at all for Anime except flinging over a few bucks to the creators.

As opposed to zero bucks from fansubbers?

Quote:
So it helps the industry for a little while. But I think it is doing more disservice overall for the fans in the long term. Many of my best memories came from being left on fantastic cliffhangers for a week and wondering with friends where it would all go. Fansubbers that formed the backbone of the community, those that are still active, love their craft. So much of anime is consumed at a slower, Eastern, pace.

Ah, yes. The Oriental tradition of weekly television series. Totally unheard of in Occidental countries.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
Gundamcero wrote:
Nope. Netflix is trash when it comes to anime. Just like Amazon is. Leave it to the professionals. Or at least fans who give a crap.

Like Netflix, Amazon Prime tends to have a lack of marketing for their anime streams. However, at least Amazon Prime often does the weekly simulcast. Also, that "Netflix Original" label is misleading unless Netflix was significantly part of an anime's production committee and the show is an original anime. AFAIK, Amazon Prime has not done that with any of their anime streams.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
You'd be surprised how many people don't pirate.

Maybe. I always saw Netflix's potential as more of a future thing. In a few years, people who may or may not be anime fans see a show in their recommended feed and watching it, not so much savvy anime fans who follow anime season by season.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
My take on this is that people, not just anime fans, may flock to it on Netflix. Many households only have 1 streaming subscription, and for the vast majority, it is Netflix. Since an individual in those households like anime, but have limited access, this is another gateway to popular anime.

So, in the long run, this move could create new anime fans, cater to fans without as much access, and generate more interest in Evangelion. Netflix has also decided to take a serious approach to merchandising in the last year, which could apply to Evangelion.

I think you hit the nail in the head. Netflix is being really good at creating new anime fans that otherwise wouldn't have bothered checking out what anime is in the first place. The other day I was in a live action Spanish forum I usually visit and people were raving about how awesome Castlevania was. Then someone asked for similar shows so he could get into anime and another guy (longtime anime fan, I presume) was like "yeah, dude, you should totally check out Zombieland Saga and Slime Data (WTF!!!) they're awesome!!" Needless to say, there was no response to his suggestions... Fast forward a couple of days and people started again buzzing about how awesome Hero Mask is.
The point is that shows like Castlevania or Hero Mask, which could perfectly work as live action stuff are really important in order to attract newcomers that otherwise wouldn't bother. Many longtime (or hardcore) anime fans don't realise that a casual viewer would never-ever make it past 1 or 2 episodes of highly praised shows like Made in Abbys or Planet With because they are just "too" anime for your average Joe. Hell, even I only became an anime fan after watching Monster (probably the most un-anime series ever)
AkaRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
On one hand they do good stuff like Voltron and Castlevania and on another hand they do shit stuff like the upcoming Saint Seiya remake that fuel me with rage when I think about it.

So they can do good but also bad.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
LetMeLive wrote:
Even though The Seven Deadly Sins was popular, you actually don't HEAR about it a bunch. Nobody memes it, nobody discusses it, it's kind of a show that just *exists*

Well, that's going a little too far--Diane is still popular on the cosplay circuit, after all. Very Happy

But it's more the kind of show that feels too good to be running on one of the Mainstream Poseur services--
7DS feels more like a show that could be fostering more of a cult audience on the right services, and let the Netflixes and Amazons cluelessly license new shows that they buy in a poke.

It's not like we're dealing with the make-or-break broadcast risk of Fox being dumb enough to air "Escaflowne" on Saturday morning, because they didn't know any better.
Close, but not quite.
Cabron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
I mean, for anyone following the anime industry in the last decade is painfully obvious that pretty much 80-90% of the shows are super otaku-centric (be it moe, isekai, otome, shonen...etc. And both Shirobako and Hyouka are pretty otaku-ish, if you ask me).

I can try to test out that theory, but I'm not quite sure how to do it since "super otaku-centric" is a very subjective label, and if you're really going to paint all shonen with that brush (Naruto, Pokemon, MHA, etc.; "shonen" literally just means it's made for young boys) then that kinda explains a lot. Ironically, Evangelion probably qualifies as otaku-centric since it's a deconstruction of mechas and the culture surrounding the genre, and Netflix apparently didn't have a problem with that.
Agreed but
>Evangelion probably qualifies as otaku-centric since it's a deconstruction of mechas and the culture surrounding the genre
>deconstruction
There's that misconception again.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And Evangelion so well-known that everybody who cares even slightly about anime will feel that they need to at least see it once.

Gonna admit it here, Netflix having Evangelion, the fact that the show hasn't been legally available in North America for years, and the show supposedly getting redubbed in English has somewhat given me the urge to at least try out the first episode next year.

Quote:
There's an old canard that anime doesn't need to be marketed: that the fans talk amongst themselves so much and the enthusiast press covers releases so exhaustively that all fans already know about all the shows, and advertising is a waste.

What about some of the more mass-market heavy shows that failed in North America, such as Doraemon or Sgt. Frog? Sure they had some marketing here, but when they came out, most people didn't care, except for the small fraction of fans that were already hugely familiar with them (this was me with Doraemon). After their distributors branded them a flop and gave up on them, that was the time when the word of mouth about those shows started spreading. I feel like bigger marketing would've made those particular shows more successful here.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I can try to test out that theory, but I'm not quite sure how to do it since "super otaku-centric" is a very subjective label, and if you're really going to paint all shonen with that brush (Naruto, Pokemon, MHA, etc.; "shonen" literally just means it's made for young boys) then that kinda explains a lot. Ironically, Evangelion probably qualifies as otaku-centric since it's a deconstruction of mechas and the culture surrounding the genre, and Netflix apparently didn't have a problem with that.

If you want to get technical, Evangelion is a kids show as well. It originally aired on a kids show block in Japan along with other kids shows.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
configspace wrote:
(and keep in mind that Knights of Sidonia is completely different on home video)

Animation wise,story wise? Ya peaked my interest....cause the anime dropped a fair bit from the manga(though the manga dropped the ball with that rushed ending)

Animation wise for all the episodes, from a couple uncensored scenes (bet most people didn't notice Smile ) http://otakomu.jp/archives/102137.html
to widespread scene direction/cinematography changes. Example, these clips ~ 3 mins http://www.bilibili.com/video/av1883937/
see pics top vs bottom: https://imgur.com/a/n2oNTqk
Changes like those are literally everywhere in all episodes. And story-wise for the last episode being 15 mins longer.
Note that the Director's Cut is on the alternative video "angle" track for Sentai's Bluray
https://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/knights-of-sidonia-release-details-explained

FYI similar with Violet Evergarden, the last episode is extended (but only a bit) with new scenes on bluray vs the TV/Netflix version

edit:
after going back and reviewing old stuff, let me correct myself. Saying "entirely different" is an exaggeration. Faulty memory and all for only distinctingly remember key scenes changed, sorry. It's quite as back to back as that. but every episode does have different cuts for sure and the last ep most definitely
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
What about some of the more mass-market heavy shows that failed in North America, such as Doraemon or Sgt. Frog? Sure they had some marketing here, but when they came out, most people didn't care, except for the small fraction of fans that were already hugely familiar with them (this was me with Doraemon). After their distributors branded them a flop and gave up on them, that was the time when the word of mouth about those shows started spreading. I feel like bigger marketing would've made those particular shows more successful here.

Doraemon was always the B-player to the shows Disney X-D wanted to air, and when more game-marketing anime came along for license, US Cable Television Struck Again.

And has the legend of Funi's horrendous Shin-chan-wannabe Sgt. Frog dub now reached the stage where we thought it actually DID air on cable TV? (It didn't, that's why Funi kicked it to the gutter.)
Unless you meant Pioneer's horrendous Shin-chan-wannabe Lupin III v2 dub, which did air on Adult Swim, before they kicked it to the gutter.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
For anime that air in Japan and maybe exclusively on Japanese streaming sites, non-Japanese Netflix is not the answer. For anime that is Netflix-exclusive (legal streaming, of course) and newer at the time of release, Netflix is the answer but not the answer for those that want a home video release of it in there country. For completed anime series or seasons of completed anime series, Netflix is an answer as that same series might be streaming on another official streaming site.

Despite Crunchyroll having region-locks, at least some of their recent (as in, the last 12 months) seasonal streams have secured "worldwide but Japan" coverage. Also, Sentai, AoA, or Funi* likely will get home video rights for at least some of those streams.

*seeing as how Viz normally gets anime based off of Shueisha or Shogakukan-based IP.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Even if Funimation has gotten the rights to NGE it wouldn't have made a difference even if they put in a new dub cast. Although I guess I could see Funimation spreading the word a bit better than Netflix but thats about it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
On one hand they do good stuff like Voltron and Castlevania and on another hand they do shit stuff like the upcoming Saint Seiya remake that fuel me with rage when I think about it.

So they can do good but also bad.

....They do bad even when said example hasn't actually been assessed to be bad?

Or is the new SS series being judged on it's quality simply because of "certain" changes or it being in CG?

Lord Oink wrote:

If you want to get technical, Evangelion is a kids show as well. It originally aired on a kids show block in Japan along with other kids shows.

Kind of funny between it's mature themes, reglious imagery.......and having a movie that was notoriously violent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5