• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Netflix Good For Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Many households only have 1 streaming subscription, and for the vast majority, it is Netflix.

63 percent of US households in 2017 had an Amazon Prime subscription. For Netflix, the figure was 53 percent.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/prime-hits-90m-u-s-households-representing-63-amazon-customers-study-claims/

https://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-dvr-us-households-survey-1202002673/
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
@yuna49

It would be interesting to find out what percentage of Amazon Prime members actually use their streaming service. Amazon's main selling point for Prime is the free shipping. I suspect some people sign up without realizing streaming was an option.

Edit: Looking at the article you provided, that is 63% of Amazon customers not of US households.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
bluesheep02 wrote:
Don’t trust random people on YouTube who don’t actually work first hand in the industry.

To be fair, the same could be said about people saying they're insiders. I'll say the same thing as I did to Justin's article when he tried to debunk that Digibro anti-Crunchyroll video with the only source being his own 'insider info': unless we get actual numbers with sources, I take everything people say with a grain of salt. Not that I'm siding with anti-Netflix people here or anything.

You say you're not siding with the anti-Netflix crowd, but that kind of ambiguity is exactly what they want to foster. It's a gray zone that allows them to say, "Unless you break NDAs / reveal business secrets, we'll believe whatever we want to believe!"
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
You say you're not siding with the anti-Netflix crowd, but that kind of ambiguity is exactly what they want to foster. It's a gray zone that allows them to say, "Unless you break NDAs / reveal business secrets, we'll believe whatever we want to believe!"

I actually take all sides with a grain of salt. I've read up on a latest news story of how piracy is on the rise because of how there are too many subscription based services, and at the same time, the west has not started its own grassroots manga and anime creator culture on par with Japan, with only a spectator driven market and fan community.

Sounds to me like a yin yang synch of a perfect storm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5