• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kun Gao Steps Down as Crunchyroll GM

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
When someone steps down from a power position to a mere "adviser" post, means something didn't work well.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
When someone steps down from a power position to a mere "adviser" post, means something didn't work well.

It could also just mean retirement. I wouldn't necessarily jump to negative conclusions.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Maybe Kun Gao was behind all the push for chinese cartoons (Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary and Voice of Fox to name two in this fall season) and when accounting crunched the numbers, they found that they cost more than they are worth and someone asked for him to take responsibility.

Of course even if this is true, that does not mean Miss Waage is perfect for replacing Gao, we will have to wait and see for further announcements.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
JB_Gra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="mangamuscle"]
kgw wrote:
(Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary and Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary to name two in this fall season)

You might want to double-check that part, unless there are two entirely different chinese cartoons with the same exact name.

Back on topic, these are the things that we can only tell if they were good or bad decisions with time. Speaking for myself, I'm not fond of how Crunchyroll is right now so I'm hoping this will be a positive change. I gain nothing thinking negatively after all.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
It's possible that the bad business decisions with the Chinese series was a factor, but with the timing, this very well had to do with Funimation going their separate ways and their negotiations becoming public. Since Gao wasn't outright fired, means they view him a valuable asset.

As for Crunchyroll, only time will tell. But I got a bad feeling about this.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
I would guess because people actually like Blade Runner. Although it being CG kills my interest in it, personally.

It being CG defintitely raises even more questions.....considering how people tend to whi...err take issue with anime productions that are exclusively done in CG.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 am Reply with quote
It's seldom a good sign when a founder steps down not long after a change in company ownership. It often means that big changes are planned, and the new owners don't trust the founder to not oppose the changes in their current position. Alternatively it can mean that the founder took a look at the new owner's plans, saw a trainwreck they wouldn't be able to do anything about, and started taking steps to get themselves out of the way while the getting was good.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
Since when did the topic of this thread became "Chinese cartooons on Crunchyroll" or even "Goblin Slayer censorship"? What do those things have anything to do with Kun Gao stepping down?
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
kgw wrote:

Maybe Kun Gao was behind all the push for chinese cartoons (Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary and Voice of Fox to name two in this fall season) and when accounting crunched the numbers, they found that they cost more than they are worth and someone asked for him to take responsibility.

Of course even if this is true, that does not mean Miss Waage is perfect for replacing Gao, we will have to wait and see for further announcements.

Chinese influenced anime are becoming more commonplace because Chinese media market is growing and Chinese companies are the ones funding anime more and more these days, not because of any decisions made by Kun Gao or Crunchyroll lol. You can see the same trend to a lesser extent in Hollywood live action with movies catering to a Chinese audience like The Great Wall
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2