• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: China's Bilibili Streaming Service Announces Original Karl Marx Web Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
As we in the United States are supposed to be believers in the First Amendment, none of us should have any problems with a Communist nation making an anime out of history. Even history we don't like.

But if this adaption is more fiction than reality, well complain away. If the character designs are representative of the anime as a whole, this might well be worth watching just for the animation itself, regardless of the content.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If the character designs are representative of the anime as a whole, this might well be worth watching just for the animation itself, regardless of the content.

I don't want to be "that guy" but ... Judging from the video in the article the animation is pretty stiff and cluncky.

the character design is probably the only decent aspect so far, it doesn't translate well into animation though. Confused
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
There are concerns China may not portray Marx in a historically accurate light, despite his ideologies being flawed, he needs to be portrayed with the upmost accuracy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Karl Marx made an ideology that caused the deaths of more than 70 million people

I know very little about Marx and how he interpreted communisim but blamimg him for those deaths is pretty absurd considering he died long before guys like Stalin and Mao came into power and pushed policies that led to those deaths.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
I don't reject the idea outright, really. What I do wonder is, will it be watchable with a coherent story? After checking the many China-produced anime, and wading through the mass of manhua out there, I think that's a legitimate question...
forexjammer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Karl Marx made an ideology that caused the deaths of more than 70 million people

I know very little about Marx and how he interpreted communisim but blamimg him for those deaths is pretty absurd considering he died long before guys like Stalin and Mao came into power and pushed policies that led to those deaths.

True, that's like saying if Jesus and Muhammad didn't exist we would probably have saved gorillion of lives by now.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Most government sponsored political promotion works are junk, and I think this will be no different.

We sort of expected China to do a Karl Marx anime for the same reason we didn't expect a Winnie the Pooh one. Rolling Eyes

(Still, Marx, though--Doesn't China basically ignore Russian communism, and pretend Mao made up the whole thing himself?)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I would put more blame on Lenin, than Karl Marx. After all it was Lenin, who employed the hatchet man Stalin in the beginning. And the rest is history.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
It does make me wonder if that "Young Karl Marx" movie is an accurate representation of Marx.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I would be all in for a version of Time Travel Girl where instead of scientists she met politicians that made history, yeah, I know said anime is not the highest standard of quality, but it was fun and thought provoking and we need more of that kind of anime like this past season Cells at Work.

But reading between the lines, this is not about propaganda, this is about sucking up to the chinese communist party. Remember that not only anime streaming in china has already been regulated (no Attack on Titan i.e.) but atm there is a purge of chinese produced videogames, so it makes sense that bilibilli is proactive and makes one of their original productions a propaganda piece to appease the alligator.

Of course the real problem is that the government might like it too much and either ask ALL of the new productions to talk about how cool the chinese government is or at the very least, have an "educational capsule" like the ones at the end of the GI joe cartoons.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

Wasn't Marx notoriously anti-Semitic and racist?

That's iffy. He did not hold Africans in high regard, believing them to primitive to ever be elevated to the status of a proper proletariat, and wrote that they might need to be eradicated for the good of the species at some point, but that was likely more based on social classism than racism, if that makes sense.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

But reading between the lines, this is not about propaganda, this is about sucking up to the chinese communist party. Remember that not only anime streaming in china has already been regulated (no Attack on Titan i.e.) but atm there is a purge of chinese produced videogames, so it makes sense that bilibilli is proactive and makes one of their original productions a propaganda piece to appease the alligator.

Apparently, it gets even more absurd: https://www.whatsonweibo.com/chinese-communist-youth-league-joins-bilibili-official-discourse-meets-online-subculture/

Quote:
“Wherever the good youth of China are, the League will go there to meet you.”

You came to the wrong neighbourhood, suckers. Anime hyper

Quote:
The themes mainly concern China in world politics, including titles such as “How to Resist the Western Colonisation of the Mind” (如何抵御西方精神殖民), “Why China Wins” (中国为什么能赢) and “Challenges and Visions of the Sino-American game” (中美博弈的挑战与前景).

My head needs a reset now. Kawaii North Korea when? Anime dazed
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
[
(Still, Marx, though--Doesn't China basically ignore Russian communism, and pretend Mao made up the whole thing himself?)

I sure hope not given that would be ridiculously meta.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:

Wasn't Marx notoriously anti-Semitic and racist?

That's iffy. He did not hold Africans in high regard, believing them to primitive to ever be elevated to the status of a proper proletariat, and wrote that they might need to be eradicated for the good of the species at some point, but that was likely more based on social classism than racism, if that makes sense.

Is this.. is this sarcasm?

Because believing people of a different race are inferior and advocating for their genocide is racism.

I really wish I could assume you're being sarcastic but Poe's Law is a hell of a thing.
southplumb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
Where did Marx say Africans were inferior and might need to be killed? Not exactly related, but he advocated for the Union side during the US Civil War, and many Africans in later times have found his ideas useful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4