• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Paramount Pictures Stands By Buff Sonic in 3rd Film 'Poster'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
And think the best way to keep the series on the up and up is to keep making the games like they were between 91-94 even in spite of Sega oversaturating those style of games by rereleasing them multiple times over the next 26 years. Which is why Mania inspite of all the hype and love it got from those fans was really not that good.

That's the same sad attitude the Mega Man gatekeepers have, thinking the games can only ever be good if they stay 8-bit, which also led to Capcom rereleasing the same NES titles over and over again for a while.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Wow Counter-Criticizing potential customers...

Hey Paramount, ask EA/DICE how well that went with Battlefield 5. Rolling Eyes

Or ask Sony how well that worked with Ghostbusters '16. Razz

Thing is, it's a bit of miscommunication with the fans:
The fans' real issue is how badly the American movie is going to be in general, and "Ew, he doesn't look model!" was just the quickest and most readily available symptom of the disease that the fans could pick on.
Paramount, OTOH, who believes they can do no wrong, and (like the Ghostbusters director) believes that any complaints against their surefire licensing hit is an eccentric nitpicking minority that doesn't like the slightest change from the original, refuses to see the forest for each individual tree and thinks "What is it with the fans and the legs?...Okay, here, we changed the legs, happy now??"

Maybe it'll be easier to discuss the main central problems with the movie after "Detective Pikachu" opens, and we'll have a clearer frame of reference to work from.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
No movie studio I know intentionally spends large amounts of money to produce movies that'll fail.

That's because, to studios, no movie is EVER bound to fail.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I hope they keep their stance on this all the way to the release. The cringe is getting better and better. I couldn't even tell the difference between this and the memes
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

What I would've given to be a fly on the wall when executives saw the pitch to films like Baby Geniuses or From Justin to Kelly.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

What I would've given to be a fly on the wall when executives saw the pitch to films like Baby Geniuses or From Justin to Kelly.

Well, uh, they did make Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, both films with the same director, the venerable Bob Clark. And that was years later.

Anyway, re: the new Hollyweird Sonic film. I'll just have to reserve judgment until this time next year. I'm not going to judge it based on a poster. I just wish dignity would come back to this franchise. I thought it was coming with the reviled Sonic '06, then with the failed Sonic 4, then with Sonic Generations, then with Sonic Mania which seems to have restored some dignity though I haven't played it yet. I also had games like Sonic Heroes and enjoyed it though the fan consensus on those games are not good.

I grew up with Sonic, as everyone else here did. After school back in 1999 - 2000, my kindergarten year, I'd race home to catch The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog re-runs on Channel 50, our local UPN affiliate (R.I.P.). I rented SATAM from Hollywood Video around the same time and was so confused as to why it was a different Sonic the Hedgehog than the one I was watching on channel 50 though it appeared to be the same guy doing his voice. I bought the Sonic OVA ADV Films dub on tape around 2003 at F.Y.E. I witnessed the rise of Sonic X on FoxBox from 2002 - 2005, and quit that series in disgust after realizing that it was cut and censored compared to the Japanese version -- and how. It laid a direct trail to my anime fandom.

All I'm saying is I hope Paramount does right by the franchise. But it's Hollyweird...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which is why Mania inspite of all the hype and love it got from those fans was really not that good.

I would say the main problem with Mania is that it's unoriginal. Of course Mania is good, Sonic 1, 2, 3, and CD were good games, and Mania lifts most of its levels from those games directly.

Sonic is a weird franchise because it's essentially switched from Japanese hands to American hands over the years. Hense all the American cartoons, comics, games and now movies. I think the only active Sonic stuff being made in Japan are the Mario & Sonic games, as they're not made by Sonic Team. Sonic Boom, for example, is called Sonic Toon in Japan, as 'toon' is the slang for American animation in Japan, and advertised as the "American Sonic" there.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I would say the main problem with Mania is that it's unoriginal.

That's kind of what I was getting at with the over saturation criticism.

Of course Mania is good, Sonic 1, 2, 3, and CD were good games, and Mania lifts most of its levels from those games directly.

Stuart Smith wrote:
I think the only active Sonic stuff being made in Japan are the Mario & Sonic games,

Not being made any more.

doomydoomdoom wrote:

Anyway, re: the new Hollyweird Sonic film. I'll just have to reserve judgment until this time next year. I'm not going to judge it based on a poster. I just wish dignity would come back to this franchise. I thought it was coming with the reviled Sonic '06, then with the failed Sonic 4, then with Sonic Generations, then with Sonic Mania which seems to have restored some dignity though I haven't played it yet. I also had games like Sonic Heroes and enjoyed it though the fan consensus on those games are not good.

Fan consensus is how you get Sonic Unleashed being lumped in with legitimately bad games such as Sonic 06 and Sonic The Hedgehog GBA despite actually the former being technically more sound than the latter two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2