• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
It most certainly did not. Wing is a fun mess that never really makes much sense. The political aspects were especially poor. 00 feels about equal. IBO I agree with.

It makes perfect sense if you bother to engage it properly unlike the vapid misanthropic ugliness of Zeta and Victory or Unicorn's half-hearted message full of retcons.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Eivion wrote:
It most certainly did not. Wing is a fun mess that never really makes much sense. The political aspects were especially poor. 00 feels about equal. IBO I agree with.

It makes perfect sense if you bother to engage it properly unlike the vapid misanthropic ugliness of Zeta and Victory or Unicorn's half-hearted message full of retcons.

Haven't seen Wing since the terrible Tagalog dub aired over twenty years ago. Please elaborate.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:20 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Zeino wrote:
Eivion wrote:

Haven't seen Wing since the terrible Tagalog dub aired over twenty years ago. Please elaborate.

Dude is huffing farts for the most part. Even what little I can remember of Wing, everything was so 1 dimensional. Will agree with him on the Unicorn part as from the start it felt like a Zeon fanwank.
Oby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:32 am Reply with quote
Wow, some people are already negatively judging this movie before watching it. It's almost like they already decided to dislike the movie, oh wait.

Quote:
As a side note, it's funny that Mobile Suit Gundam is popularly regarded as a “real robot” anime because of mass-produced Mobile Suits like the Zakus, when the series is filled with “super robots” that are capable of changing the tides of battle singlehandedly. That aspect felt even more prevalent in this film, which had only several identifiable pilots, making the scale of the conflict feel smaller even if the damage they were causing was massive. Narrative is over-the-top in a way that blurs the distinction between the two categories even further, so I'll be interested to see what the hardcore mecha fans say about this one.

Kim, you're still using that obsolete argument? The "Real Robot" designation is granted to Gundam because the franchise created that subgenre. Mobile Suit Gundam in 1979 divorced itself from major "Super Robot" tropes such as fighting evil humanoid aliens, shouting the special moves, turning the giant robots into superheroes and even gods in some cases, etc. MSG ditched all that and went with the more militaristic approach where it's people vs people, diving deeper into the psyche of those who are involved in the war, no humanoid evil aliens, no shouting special moves, no shounen powerups. The Mobile Suits are militaristic weapons of war and that's how they treat most of them (even though some might far overpower/outperform others). That's what "Real Robot" subgenre means.

Also, Gundam franchise being known for being the most realistic giant-robot anime out there is thanks to entries like the first MSG, Gundam: 08th MS Team, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, Gundam: The Origin, Gundam Thunderbolt, Gundam X and the recent endeavor, Iron-Blooded Orphans. Most other "humanoid giant robot"-shows can't be more grounded than them. Even something like Code Geass had to rely on actual geass magic to move the plot forward. And Macross has that humanoid alien-thing and the "literal/magical power of song to make peace"-shtick.

Zeino wrote:
Eivion wrote:

Wing's politic does not make sense. Especially Relena Peacecraft's political approach. Her "Total Pacifism" ideology/policy where you throw away all your weapons, military and all other means of self-defense and just hope for the best (while your enemy is slaughtering your people) is the stupidest politic ever concocted in the entire Gundam franchise. Not even AGE, G-Savior & G-Reco are that dumb when it comes to politics. Gundam Wing's Total Pacifism is as idiotic as the "nuclear solution" in Superman IV: Quest for Peace. It's that bad.

Other than Wing, I agree that some AU series already top plenty of Tomino's entries when it comes to storytelling & narrative. I'm a UC fan, but most of Tomino's entries, I like the least. I absolutely love MSG but that was when Tomino's imagination got reigned in by other writers and animation directors. I do like Tomino's Novel approach for MSG with the mostly-white Gundam and all.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:42 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Zeino wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Also, lol at the thought of any of the AUs bettering Tomino's concepts

Wing, 00 and IBO did politics better.

When I first saw Wing all those years ago, I honestly believed the show was very clever with its politics, and while I know better now since I rewatched it 5 years ago, not everyone has had a chance to rewatch it.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I was on the verge of going into the cinema to watch this, but the connection to the UC timeline I don’t really know much about made me hesitate. This review confirms me that I should probably better wait until I’ve at least seen the original Gundam and other important UC titles. I already made the "mistake" to watch Unicorn as my first Gundam title which got very confusing towards the end without any prior knowledge …
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Oby wrote:

Also, Gundam franchise being known for being the most realistic giant-robot anime out there is thanks to entries like the first MSG, Gundam: 08th MS Team, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, Gundam: The Origin, Gundam Thunderbolt, Gundam X and

Don't at least half of those series feature newtypes who throw that alleged realism out of the window?
Gohanangered

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Actually the newtype stuff was suppose to represent a new stage of evolution to human beings. Especially ones that had been living in space for many generations. The stuff you see visually was to best represent as much as possible what was going on in their minds and how they were able to do what they were able to. Close to advanced psychic abilities.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
In am seeing this film tomorrow night. I am looking forward to see if it has any hints as to the upcoming movie trilogy for Hathaway's Flash.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

"Real robot" means the robot itself isn't super-powered. And no robot in the UC is. The power comes from the pilot. Even at its most out there, it's the Newtype abilities of the pilot, not the robot. The robot just channels NT power.

Mobile suits are powered by Minovsky Energy. That's about as realistic as the Photon Energy that powers Mazinger Z. That fact is "real robots" as a mecha genre has never existed. They're all "super" to a small or large extent.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

"Real robot" means the robot itself isn't super-powered. And no robot in the UC is. The power comes from the pilot. Even at its most out there, it's the Newtype abilities of the pilot, not the robot. The robot just channels NT power.

Mobile suits are powered by Minovsky Energy. That's about as realistic as the Photon Energy that powers Mazinger Z. That fact is "real robots" as a mecha genre has never existed. They're all "super" to a small or large extent.

Mobile suits are powered by compact nuclear fusion reactors, which are possible because of Minovsky particles. Minovsky particles are basically the UC Gundam equivalent of dilithium crystals. There is no such thing as Minovsky energy in Gundam terminology.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:41 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Mobile suits are powered by compact nuclear fusion reactors, which are possible because of Minovsky particles. Minovsky particles are basically the UC Gundam equivalent of dilithium crystals. There is no such thing as Minovsky energy in Gundam terminology.

Minovsky particles are Gundam's MacGuffin. They have any properties the writers want them to have because of story constraints. They're no different from Photon Energy.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Really want to see this in a theater, but there are no showings close to me. Hopefully there is good turnout and Gundam in theaters becomes a more common thing. If DBZ can do it, Gundam can too, I say. They were Toonami cousins, after all. Amazing how times have changed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I saw it and it was pretty much what I thought it would be, very flashy and kind of silly. I love the Newtype concept in Gundam, even when it goes over the top, but this may have gone a little past the limit with it's "people can live forever in the Psycho-frames" postulation. It really wants to drown you in new plot points every few seconds as if it's desperate to prove its worth, and often that obscures some of the genuinely great ideas and emotional complexities. It probably would have been best served as an OVA, but I enjoyed the great NT effects, mecha designs, action, and turmoil, even if it leaned too heavily on it. A charming spectacle, but not much else. Unicorn as a whole was better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I just saw it & the theater actually had a decent turn out.

Couldn't understand the story much but boy was it pretty. Laughing

In all seriousness though it was a fine film, nothing to offensively bad & with some nice cameos from characters from past series which generated a couple good squee moments.

On actual critiques I can think of....

The constant time-jumps & flashbacks rendered it a bit incomprehensible, it got a bit too pseudo-philosophical (though that’s not really new for Gundam), the ending is spoiler[ around the same as Unicorn as in basically New-Type God hax saves the day], & Rita is a rather bare bones Lalah expy.

I’m actually looking forward to Hathaway’s Flash a lot more now if only for its completely cynical ending. Oh right and NT spoiler[ ended on an after credits teaser to Hathaway’s Flash just like an MCU movie.] Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4