• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Digimon Adventure Anime Film Project Reveals More Character Visuals

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And while there is a vocal group of fans that want the 02 characters, I question the demand is really as large as the 02 fans make it out to be. While there's a lot of love for the 02 characters, 02 as a season has always been widely panned by the fandom and I feel like fans have only started to appreciate it more in recent years in reaction to the shortcomings of Tri

02 is the second most popular series after Adventure in Japan. Besides, I thought most people who hated 02 were shippers who got mad Taichi and Sora didn't hook up because the dub tried to push them together Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure they are given how poorly Toei seems to market any season of Digimon that isn't Adventure or 02 related. But I still recall for years fans complained about how much they hated Davis and how annoying Yolei and Cody were and there's a mountain of complaints about all the plot holes and dropped subplots in 02.
Yugi12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Digimon Tamers sequel when???

Tamers is so much better than Adventure, and deserves a sequel way more.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Joe somehow looks older in the 02 screencaps in the background than his new "adult" character design does. Izzy also looks younger, closer to his Adventure character design than 02 or Tri.

As much as I love some of these characters (well, Izzy and Mimi) and would love to follow their stories forever, Tri was a bit of a disappointment. Count me in with those who would rather see a sequel to Tamers, Digimon's best series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
I personally would want to see Toei focus more on new original characters and stories like they did with Appmon than do more sequels of fan favorite classics. As much as I love Tamers, most Digimon sequels are generally very polarizing with fans and I doubt a Tamers sequel would live up to fans' high expectations even if Konoka got involved again. If Toei can make a sequel series like Tri that was very divisive with fans financially successful, there's no reason they couldn't make their AU original spin offs more successful but Toei does little marketing for them like they do with Adventure nostalgia. Like it's already been two years since Appmon aired and it still doesn't have an English dub and Bandai seems to have already moved on from the toyline in spite of all the original monsters and evolutions they created for Appmon.

Bandai has that new upcoming Digimon Survive game for the Nintendo Switch they could easily adapt into an anime and use cross media marketing to make it a hit if they would just put some marketing effort into something that isn't just nostalgia. Digimon is a large universe with plenty of new story potential they could tap into that hasn't been explored without always having to revisit the same characters. I'm sort of mixed on Tri in that there's a lot of aspects about it I enjoyed and there's a lot of aspects I'm more critical of. But I'm kind of that way with Adventure and 02 in general and I think I've become less harsh on Tri than I was initially. In regards to the new movie, I don't know if I would be pleased if it's going to be another six part film series like Tri was and I don't really think Adventure needs that. But if it's just one more good solid 90 minute movie that ties up all the loose ends from Tri leading up to the 02 epilogue, that would be enough for me and I would be satisfied with it.
megazero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Good to see the old characters in a new movie again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2