• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sunrise Producer: 'We're the Only Studio That Can Make Hand-Drawn Robot Anime'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I guess it's inevitable at this point to expect 2D mech animation. I do understand the reasons though, especially when it's related to health problems.
Still, I know the day will come when even Sunrise will not be able to sustain this kind of animation... I'm not looking forward to it but I don't think anybody could make a difference at this point.

It's rather sad but for me personally, anime is very slowly losing its charm. I started to watch anime because of 2D animation. It's usually not the stories that pulled me in, but the visuals certainly did.
CGI can look fine, sure, but for me the 2D charm is simply not there. Don't even get me started on that new AI animation.

Sunrise, I'm rooting for you. Please keep it up as long as you're able to!

You haven't heard of Studio Ponoc? They're still doing hand drawn 2D animation. Likewise, Studio Ghibli's newest movie by Miyazaki still uses hand drawn. Hand drawn animation will always have its place. It's not going to go away forever.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's definitely rare and even Sunrise reserves hand drawn mecha for a subset of their Gundam franchise due to the labor. Valvrave the Liberator was all CG for the mechs and environment.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Their Gundam The Origin OVA used a little too much CG at times for my tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
You haven't heard of Studio Ponoc? They're still doing hand drawn 2D animation. Likewise, Studio Ghibli's newest movie by Miyazaki still uses hand drawn. Hand drawn animation will always have its place. It's not going to go away forever.
Damn, you're right! How could I forget about them while I only recently saw Mary and the Witch's Flower, which was indeed wonderfully animated!

Thanks for the reminder :') I'm looking forward to seeing their new anthology film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, while 2D has its merits, Japan seriously has to catch up to western CGI. There are some exceptions like Gantz 0 or the newest Captain Harlock movie, most CGI in Japan is a joke for no good reason. While the Transformers movies suck they do have better CGI than anime, same with robot CGI in Wreck it Ralph and Ready Player One. Yes money is a big part, but supposedly some anime take millions of dollars to make anyway...making reusable 3D models for dozens of hours of programming makes more sense than redrawing something 1000s of times over.
Replace in-between animators with 3D animators with quality software and Japan's industry would improve overall.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
It hasn't quite gotten there yet, but I think by the time 2D mecha animation more or less disappears from major commercial productions, 3D mecha work will be essentially indistinguishable from it. Computers get exponentially better every year, and the technique and software already exists that can replicate all of the style and beauty of 2D mechanical animation. All we are waiting on now is for the economics to make sense. I don't think it'll be too much longer.
Even as a huge sakuga fan, I don't really look too fearfully at the industry's move to 3D. It's just the natural evolution of it. And having the assistance of computers has only made 2D animation more interesting and ambitious, really. Black Clover #63, Apocrypha #22, the entirety of Ufotable's library, etc. I love it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Even as a huge sakuga fan, I don't really look too fearfully at the industry's move to 3D. It's just the natural evolution of it.

I find that to be a bit of a distressing viewpoint to have. CG is not inherently superior or the natural evolution of hand-drawn animation at all. 2D is a perfectly valid art form that stands on its own even to this day. That kind of mindset of 2D being cheaper or inferior to CG is why American studios abandoned 2D, and one I can't agree with.

-Stuart Smith
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
TurnerJ wrote:
Damn, you're right! How could I forget about them while I only recently saw Mary and the Witch's Flower, which was indeed wonderfully animated!

Thanks for the reminder :') I'm looking forward to seeing their new anthology film.

Also, the folks who did Maquia apparently are training some of their staff to be hand drawn animators, too. There may not be "many more" hand drawn animators in Mamoru Hosoda's words (speaking mainly from the difficulties he had on getting Mirai finished -- some of the animators shifted from doing that film to Maquia) from Japan, but they haven't ceased to exist over there. Here's proof about the guys at Maquia training people: (P.A. Works)

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/06/30/maquia-when-p-a-works-blooms-effectively-raising-a-new-generation-of-animators/
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
Sad but true in terms of mecha anime series and action scenes in general 3D has pretty much become the norm. I don’t believe that hand drawn 2D animation will disappear forever from anime but as the years go bye it’ll definitely become more and more obscure.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
I don't think we need to worry about hand drawn disappearing altogether from Japan any time soon. There still are many productions in Japan which still use this style. Yes, the use of computers for action scenes may have their place, but honestly, even some of the Disney Renaissance movies such as The Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame as well as Hercules and Mulan all used CGI effectively and in ways that didn't stand out in all the wrong ways. As long as the hand drawn aesthetic style stays and doesn't become something like what we see in Western animation I'm cool with that.

I will say that I would rather see more style to CGI animation here in the States; every CG movie trailer I see looks no different from the other. I was pleasantly surprised at the style for Spiderverse, though; I have to admit that as weary as I am of CG animation, I applaud that movie for using its style.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
Keep rockin and rollin guys, I love drawn mecha! CG mechs are boring at best and hideous at worst.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:53 am Reply with quote
Trigger mostly stick ton this, even Gridman that was made with CG for the man in a suit look, still uses shots that are hand-drawn. And then there is BONES, who still hand-draw mecha, even if they rarely make any. I suppose his claim is doing it as much as they do.

The solution to this seems rather easy, just put in more training for new mecha animators, they say the industry is doing well financially, so can they not have something like Kyoto Animation’s Professional Training School? Sunrise could have this for new staff members, so they can drill in all the essentials of animating mechs. I really hate the altitude of "we will do it for as long as possible, then just do it with 3D models". When there are/could be ways of fixing it.
CostlyAxis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Well, this interview does explain why Build Drivers has the mostly hand-drawn aesthetic.

In general, I think CGI is a good method for retaining a lot of detail which is usually typical of mech designs. But it all comes down to how the scene is put together and how well the CGI portions interact with the environment. Knights of Sidonia (Polygon Pictures) can look jaw dropping at times during the mech fight scenes because it has a feeling of impact (other times it just looks like "what"). But they go "all in" on CGI.

Code Geass Akito on the other hand has a few issues in its presentation. The new mechs just were not interesting to me for starters. Their transformations were a bit too "organic", and some were just goofy to even think about exacerbating the CGI issue. Then there's the issue that they had to make older mechs designs into full CGI which was off putting from a nostalgia perspective. spoiler[Luckily the Lancelot still looked pretty cool.]

Overall, I'm fine with it, but I think it needs to be used with a different mindset than to cut costs.

penguintruth wrote:
Their Gundam The Origin OVA used a little too much CG at times for my tastes.

Those horses were totally realistic. Absolutely nothing stood out to make them jarring to look at. Nothing. So realistic it's the most memorable scene in the entirety of the OVA.

That said, the remainder of the CGI was acceptable to me. Though I think many of the action scenes lost some "umph" from what I'd describe as a lack of "weight".
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Trigger mostly stick ton this, even Gridman that was made with CG for the man in a suit look, still uses shots that are hand-drawn. And then there is BONES, who still hand-draw mecha, even if they rarely make any. I suppose his claim is doing it as much as they do.

The solution to this seems rather easy, just put in more training for new mecha animators, they say the industry is doing well financially, so can they not have something like Kyoto Animation’s Professional Training School? Sunrise could have this for new staff members, so they can drill in all the essentials of animating mechs. I really hate the altitude of "we will do it for as long as possible, then just do it with 3D models". When there are/could be ways of fixing it.

I think what ogata was saying is that sunrise was the last studio to make mecha on a higher details, just like the good old days. Franxx and gurren laggan mechs series may got some animation orgasm, but was way more simpler to animate thanks to its simple design and probably also to its simplistic visuals. Just think of naruto on steroids with mechs, instead of character animation, you draw mechs instead. Compare it to a high profile gundam OVA, which got a high level of DETAILS(and unholy budget) like animation lines, clear cut camera works, background designs, and uninterupted animation shots some of which is 10 seconds long (that's a really long animation shot) they sure did an amzing job on the 2d department. I know its wrong to compare tv series vs OVA format but the bottomline is that how detailed sunrise mecha projects are. And sunrise already got an animation school way back from 2006, predating Kyoto Animation’s Professional Training School by 4 years(if reddit sources are correct) and sure thing it produced good talents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3