• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Christmas Anime To Ring In The Season [2018-12-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
Some Christmas themed anime I would include on the list would be episode 35 of Cardcaptor Sakura, "Sakura's Wonderful Christmas", the "Very Digi-Christmas" episode of Digimon Adventure 02, and the Digimon World Tour arc of said season. Sakura's Wonderful Christmas is more of the romantic aspect of the holiday with Sakura trying to give Yukito a Christmas present but it's a very cute episode and I love the scene of Kero using his fire powers to make magic falling glowing lights to serve as "snow" for Sakura. Very Digi Christmas has important bonding moments for Ken and the 02 Digidestined with Ken inviting everyone over for a Christmas party. The Digmon World arc was a story arc in 02 where the kids travel around the world for several episodes that include showing Christmas celebrations in various countries. Although I'm not a big fan of this movie in spite of being a big Tenchi Muyo fan, Tenchi The Movie 2: The Daughter of Darkness is also centered around Christmas.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
I see someone is a bit salty with the new poll.
meruru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
I really liked the Christmas episode from Full Moon wo Sagashite, which fell in the middle of a turning point for many character arcs, which made it particularly stand out for me.

Also, the Christmas episode from Big O was pretty great, although not exactly holiday cheer in tone. But I loved the concept that since everyone had amnesia, the old folks would feel compelled to go celebrate on that day, but no one knew why. And like everything in that show, it had great style.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
We're Jewish, but I wasn't sure whether it was even worth it to ask if there were any Jewish anime characters in even a non-religious special context.

Well, there's always Angel Cop, but that context is truly "special." Like Protocols of the Elders of Zion or David Icke special. So not what you're looking for.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
I became acquainted yesterday with Aggressive Retsuko ("Aggretsuko") because I discovered its Xmas OVA airing now on Netflix. Watched the whole season after that. Pretty funny, and surprising that Retsuko is a Sanrio character.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
My addition to the list is the White Christmas episode of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVA series. Tokyo Godfathers is my favorite Christmas movie, I'm kinda surprised its here, though, knowing how this site usually feels about such political incorrectness as can be found relating to the character of Hana, whom I love.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Only one I've seen is the S movie, which, I hate to be the Christmas Party pooper, I find to be overrated (and I'm one of the biggest Sailor Moon fans ever). It's fine, but it really only focuses on Luna, the other Sailors hardly get to do anything, and while I think Naoko is a good writer, I find the idea of her ignoring Artemis and focusing on Kakeru instead stupid.

I prefer the final episode of the original Oh My Goddess OVA, "For the Love of Goddess", which had a better romance, was more emotion-evoking, with Keiichi trying to get Belldandy a present and happened to take place on Christmas Eve (I even got that for Christmas last year and watched the entire thing last year).

EDIT: I forgot that Luna was suspended in sleeping animation for 1000 years, so part of said comment is voided, but still, Luna x Kakeru is NOT a good ship at all.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how the age gap is alarmingly too far apart, Kakeru is 29 years old whilst Luna is a year younger than Usagi, being only round about 14. Anyone who ships those two, well, I'll start questioning whether or not I want to know them in the first place Rolling Eyes).

The age difference is sort of secondary to the, uh, species difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I think the whole point of the S movie was that Luna being in a relationship with Kakeru was something that was doomed from the start. The movie is about Luna struggling with a broken heart for the first time. And Artemis already had a few filler in episodes in the TV show devoted entirely to him versus how little focused episodes Luna got.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
There is a Jewish character in Gundam 0083 but he didn't have too much screen time.

Also, Christmas in Japan, minus some Christians, is quite like Halloween outside the U.S.: people knows about the scenery, pumpkins, costumes...
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
There was also a Jewish character in Valvrave spoiler[who ironically died in an episode that premiered during Hanukkah].
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Also not a fan of that Sailor Moon S movie. Just keep seeing it as Luna not being fateful to Artemis.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

That too. Confused
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Godfathers is also, sadly, out of print in North America, and has never gotten a Blu-Ray release in North America. (There are some Region B releases.) I don't even think it's available streaming at the moment, though I'd love to be wrong.
Xavon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how the age gap is alarmingly too far apart, Kakeru is 29 years old whilst Luna is a year younger than Usagi, being only round about 14. Anyone who ships those two, well, I'll start questioning whether or not I want to know them in the first place Rolling Eyes).

Also as a reincarnation with her past memories, her mental age is presumably much older.

And 14 is ancient for a normal cat, and who knows how it works for a magical alien cat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3