• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Did Christmas in Japan Become A Thing? [2018-12-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Christmas was not a Christian holiday. It was a Roman pagan holiday called Saturnalia, observed in late December. The Christians just injected their own themes later.
Jesus wasn’t even born on Dec 25. We don’t even know the exact year of his birth, let alone the date; for what we know, he could just as likely been born on July 1.
Um, I think regardless of what it was, it is now a both Christian and secular holiday. Not sure what your point was.

Eh, I think it adds to the humorous irony of Japanese celebrating a "religious" holiday that's not even remotely related to their native religions.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
Eh, I think it adds to the humorous irony of Japanese celebrating a "religious" holiday that's not even remotely related to their native religions.

The same could be said about Americans, to be fair. Millions of non-religious people celebrate Christmas every year; my family included.

- Stuart Smith
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what KFC chicken in Japan is like.

In India, it's different than what you get in North America, legs are smaller, plus with a different flavour.

I imagine Japan's KFC Chicken is also slightly different.

kinghumanity wrote:
Not this bs again.

Christmas was not a Christian holiday. It was a Roman pagan holiday called Saturnalia, observed in late December. The Christians just injected their own themes later.

Jesus wasn’t even born on Dec 25. We don’t even know the exact year of his birth, let alone the date; for what we know, he could just as likely been born on July 1.

Quote:
The date of birth of Jesus is not stated in the gospels or in any historical reference, but most theologians assume a date of birth between 6 BC and 4 BC.[1] The historical evidence is too incomplete to allow a definitive dating,[2]

This common, ignorant and silly anti-Christian misconception again?

Sigh...

I'll just put this here.

Was Christ Born on December 25? Yes!
(Dr Marshall #195) from New Saint Thomas Institute
https://youtu.be/b7nuX2F_Cpo
ericarreza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
If anyone who doesn't knew about Christmas in Japan, here's an info. Did you know that the 1st Christmas celebration there was in the year 1549 when a Portuguese Jesuit priest, St. Francis Xavier went to Japan to introduce Christianity but with a little success: https://tokyocheapo.com/travel/holidays/christmas-japan-timeline/
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it didn't really take root until after World War II

Actually it had already before WW II.
According to wikipedia (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/クリスマス#歴史), it was widely accepted in 1900 triggered by Christmas business.
In 1928 it spread enough that Asashi shimbun newspaper stated "Christmas is now a Japan's yearly event and Santa Claus has become a thing among Japanese children".

Also, from a scene set in 1934 of Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni (In This Corner Of The World), which is famous for being made based on director Sunao Katabuchi's detailed history research.

Last edited by Kamieichi on Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuScr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Not this bs again.

Pretty much every part of this rant is wrong--the December 25 date is drawn primarily from when certain events took place by the Jewish calendar, the corresponding Roman pagan holiday is not Saturnalia but Sol Invictus, and Sol Invictus was instituted much later (very likely as an attempt by the pagans to co-opt Christmas)--and it has nothing to do with the original ANN article.

Other than that, though, thanks for sharing.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
My understanding has been that they tend to celebrate Christmas Eve the same way we celebrate New Years Eve, and they tend to celebrate New Years Day the way we celebrate Christmas Day. More or less.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan has its own Christmas traditions. The one that baffles Americans the most is the ritual of eating fried chicken -- namely KFC -- on December 24th.

I'd like to try doing that one year.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Well, if one is hellbent of suppressing a culture for your own, what better way to do it than appropriating one of their holidays as your own. Two birds with one stone. Razz

Another line of anthropological thinking is that Romans (like the Japanese) integrated the practice into their culture and not the Christians who appropriated a Pagan festival. Same with the Dutch and Germans who integrated their culture into Christmas and birthed the Christmas we know today.

Because the origins of Christmas was birthed from simple gift giving of Nicholas of Patara, Turkey in giving to the needy and later became fast-spreading practice. It wasn't adopted until Emperor Constantine 336 declared the day of celebration and a year later the Pope declared it the birthdate of Jesus. So to say that the Christians stole a Pagan holiday is wrong when it was the Pagan Romans themselves that transformed the holiday. Just like modern day Japan who took a Christian holiday and made it their own.

So the Japanese adaptation of Christmas gives us valuable insight into how Christmas became Christmas. No matter who originated the practice, no matter what, it's a time to be happy and be good to one another.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
As someone who is from very Atheistic country, where Comunists in past tried (with varied success) to change Christmas to Atheistic event where they wanted people to buy as much as possible to help not that good economy and to show we actually has something on the shelves (when in fact a lot of goods were scarce), I may assure you that what Japans did with Christmas is still tame to what happened here. But the thing is that even many Atheists here still celebrate Christmas as a family holidays, event where family is supposed to be together (pretty much like Thanksgiving in US, I guess). And that, in itself, is not bad thing, to be honest.

#884745 wrote:

Oh, and there's Japanese lyrics to popular Christmas songs, including secular ones for songs like Silent Night. At an idol show I went to recently, they sang Jingle Bells and some other ones.

I remember there were Digimon Christmas album where the main characters (actually their seiyuu, but you've got the point) were singing Christmas songs in Japanese. I think it was released to promote that Zero Two Christmas World Tour, which actually took three episodes, all premiered in January LOL
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
If ya think Xmas celebratory atmosphere is too early right after Thanksgiving, in Japan all that Xmas cheer starts right after Halloween.
Since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving, there's nothing between Halloween and Xmas, so get used to all those Xmas songs in your head. Laughing

And if it wasn't for Halloween, Xmas could begin even in September.
Heck, stores in Japan start selling Halloween paraphernalia by August, right after Obon holiday. Surprised
ericarreza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote
Since today is Christmas, I would like to share this to you & I'd found this drawing on Facebook lately from an Inuyasha fan. I'd posted it on my twitter account so I'll give you a link: https://twitter.com/ericarreza/status/1077495828867014656

So what do you think? Merry Christmas everyone! Very Happy
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
When I have my own family I'd like to try making KFC dinner a Christmas tradition Smile, since I'm not too fond of big family get-togethers or large, elaborate feasts. It's a nice break from the stress that comes with the holiday season.

What I want to know is how prevalent Christmas lights decorations are in Japan. I imagine no one probably decorates the front of their houses with them, but are they common on city storefronts or perhaps inside kids' rooms? Do they come in a range of colors or are they just the innocuous warm yellow/white kind?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quote
Merry Christmahanukwanzaa, everyone!

Or just Happy Festivus, for the rest of us!

Fenrin wrote:

What I want to know is how prevalent Christmas lights decorations are in Japan. I imagine no one probably decorates the front of their houses with them, but are they common on city storefronts or perhaps inside kids' rooms? Do they come in a range of colors or are they just the innocuous warm yellow/white kind?

People don't decorate their houses with lights (or sync it to music and put it on Youtube Laughing ) except expats, but to make up for it, many places of attraction go all-out decking anything and everything in LED lights

7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:
If anyone who doesn't knew about Christmas in Japan, here's an info. Did you know that the 1st Christmas celebration there was in the year 1549 when a Portuguese Jesuit priest, St. Francis Xavier went to Japan to introduce Christianity but with a little success: https://tokyocheapo.com/travel/holidays/christmas-japan-timeline/

Yup, and Samurai Champloo kind of had an episode about him, albeit spoiler[it was really an imposter Very Happy]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3