• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Screenwriter Eric Heisserer Discusses Live-Action Your Name Adaptation in Interview

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
@SkerllyFC07 I think you’re comparing apples to oranges by equating shonen anime to She-Ra or The Dragon Prince. Shonen anime by and large is trying to capitalize on a built-in audience and convince them to buy the ongoing manga; taking creative liberties would work against that agenda. By contrast, TDP and She-Ra are each trying to build up a new audience or targeting a demographic wholly different from its original incarnation.

Well, what I´m gonna say it works for both what I mentioned about shonen series and the possibility of this remake:
1-Shonen series(and most source adaptations) have nowadays become into the easiest and laziest cashgrabs the anime industry can have. All you have to do is copy the source material and put it into a new medium and BAM!, you have a good series that sells, but they don´t have a creative series. To me, if both the manga and the anime tell the same story even in different mediums, the manga doesn´t have any value to me. I´d consider it unreadable and would rather watch the anime. Superhero comics and their adaptations both have value in themselves because the stories are treated differently. Now, why I say this? Because manga/light-novels nowadays are treated as scripts and storyboards for their respective adaptations, which is why they´re cashgrabs.
2-If there aren´t any creative differences in the adaptations, how can they be exceptional anime series for themselves, rather than 'good series for their genre'? How can you call My Hero Academia an exceptional anime on its own when it lacks lots of character development, lacks any complex female characters because of the same criticisms female characters had in Naruto, and it lacks other stuff that would make it better? Just take the 90´s Ghost in the Shell animated film and compare it to the manga it´s based on. Mamoru Oshii made a masterpiece out of a boring manga that was total police procedural trash mixed with unnecesary fanservice. That´s the kind of adaptation I want from your average shonen manga, not a copy of the source material.
3-Anime viewers have to stop thinking of themselves as 'having the supreme and ultimate form of entertainment', or being elitists just because they´re watching something different than what they see in the US. Most anime series nowadays have to rely on the same tired conventions, or the use of cute girls, or sexy female characters in order to make money, which compromises any good storytelling the series could have. There was a time when most anime viewers thought cartoons would never evolve into something better than anime, yet Netflix´s catalog of action cartoons is composed of series that have broken the TV common conventions and have exceptional and much better storytelling than most anime series today. Most shonen anime are still utilizing the same old genre conventions we´re tired of seeing today. How come most cartoons have compelling female characters while My Hero Academia is still stuck in the days of Naruto of having the female characters only mattering for one episode?
4-This live-action remake doesn´t have to have the same story as the anime version of Your Name in order to be good. Stop thinking that. An adaptation has to change things in order to work, so I give it ther benefit of the doubt by the writers making a new twist on the anime film´s elements and have a creative new movie. The Ghost in the Shell live-action movie didn´t have to copy the original anime film in order to be good, and I think most anime fans thought that the movie could only be good if it copied it.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Kosmogonia wrote:
Will be really interesting what American folk religion or mystical faith they explore in the live action movie. And, if not, wtf is the point? We don't need another variation on Freaky Friday.

This. I'm not optimistic with the adaptation but I think they might still be able to pull it if they manage to use the correct approach, like using folklore or supernatural events references.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This live-action remake doesn´t have to have the same story as the anime version of Your Name in order to be good. Stop thinking that. An adaptation has to change things in order to work, so I give it ther benefit of the doubt by the writers making a new twist on the anime film´s elements and have a creative new movie. The Ghost in the Shell live-action movie didn´t have to copy the original anime film in order to be good, and I think most anime fans thought that the movie could only be good if it copied it.
So why even call it Your Name by this point then? Making up an original story and slapping on the name of a source material you're barely following sounds more like a cash grab than shonen anime adaptations doing their jobs is. I'm not sure why this thread is being turned into an anti-shonen rant to begin with.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Had to do some clean up so let's cool it on both sides. If your only point is to come in here and say "this sucks", "people who say this sucks suck themselves", "weebs suck" or any other variation of pointless nerd rage just save it. Either post an actual opinion about why you are excited or unhappy for this (without insulting other people) or just move on.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
This live-action remake doesn´t have to have the same story as the anime version of Your Name in order to be good. Stop thinking that. An adaptation has to change things in order to work, so I give it ther benefit of the doubt by the writers making a new twist on the anime film´s elements and have a creative new movie. The Ghost in the Shell live-action movie didn´t have to copy the original anime film in order to be good, and I think most anime fans thought that the movie could only be good if it copied it.
So why even call it Your Name by this point then? Making up an original story and slapping on the name of a source material you're barely following sounds more like a cash grab than shonen anime adaptations doing their jobs is. I'm not sure why this thread is being turned into an anti-shonen rant to begin with.

It’s using the name due to name recognition, people are more likely to watch it since it shares a name with something they knew/enjoyed.

Same deal with video game movies, it’s usually a red flag since they tend to be cash grabs with little to hold them up outside of said name recognition.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
when will people learn that less than 1/200th of the population care about anime, no matter how it's adapted
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Mistaken wrote:
when will people learn that less than 1/200th of the population care about anime, no matter how it's adapted

American population* Looking at foreign sales Your Name doubled the last Starwars film so it must be doing something right.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Mistaken wrote:

American population* Looking at foreign sales Your Name doubled the last Starwars film so it must be doing something right.

And even 1/200th of the American population is still a good sized audience. It's no mistake that Netflix, Amazon, etc... are trying to get in on the action.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Name recognition. The fact one of the biggest Japanese films of all times was outgrossed by even Funi's limited release of Dragonball and My Hero Academia movies says alot about how we view of animation as a serious medium. That ain't a slam against those films, but Your Name was lightyears ahead of them at the World Wide/Japanese box office. I pretty much figured there was going to be a Hollywood live-action remake after it's failure here, which is why this director's assurance of "Japan totally wanted us to westernize it!" rings hollow. Of course Japanese executives did, they realized they'll only get their American money from an American version Laughing I guarantee whatever westernized live-action version comes out is going to do better than what the anime film did here, no matter how bad it may be, Johanson in the Shell made 8 times what Your Name did. This is going to make an easy 40 million at least, probably more since it's not a sci-fi cyberpunk movie which even American movies have a hard time marketing. Your Name can be marketed as a regular drama, like how Ring and other popular Japanese remakes were.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It’s using the name due to name recognition, people are more likely to watch it since it shares a name with something they knew/enjoyed.

And, like the name-only Netflix Death Note, it's one of the only anime that Hollywood producers have heard of, from mainstream press articles.
And articles about the Japanese box-office, so at least this one wasn't "Based on the hit manga", like every other US adaptation.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:

star wars isn't a good example since it's going through fanwars (lol i made a pun) at the moment. they're practically on strike. if YN beat a well received and anticipated film like anything from the MCU, that's when you'd change my mind.

DerekL1963 wrote:

And even 1/200th of the American population is still a good sized audience. It's no mistake that Netflix, Amazon, etc... are trying to get in on the action.

i never said 1/200th, i said less than 1/200ths.

and notice how anime is never, ever the main focal point of any mainstream medium though. americans don't care about anime nearly as much as china, thus why over 50% of the industry's cash comes from there. if japan stopped outsourcing to the US right now i doubt it would hurt their sales by a lot.

talking about this is pretty stupid anyway, since we all know this movie could (since it's not official, just a thought) be another live action anime flop like all the rest.

off topic:
the person who wrote this article needs to edit it. in the article this reads:
Quote:
Paramount's 2017 live-action Ghost in the Shell film was controversial primarily because of its casting of Scarlett Johansson as the Major, a character who was Japanese in the original story, but it also drew criticism for some of its story decisions.

the creator came out and said he never even thought as major as japanese. moreover japanese is a nationality not a race but that's leading off. this needs to be edited. the creator(s) had absolutely no issue with scarlett's casting.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
They have to fix one big unbelievable thing in the original film - there's no way the characters couldn't have figured out the exact date when they have smartphones!

It's the first thing ya see when ya turn on your smartphone! Nobody in live-action would believe that! Laughing

Makoto Shinkai has moved on and doing his next project. While speaking with press at a preview of the Makoto Shinaki art exhibit opening Nov 11 at Tokyo’s National Art Center, the subject of the live-action Your Name came up, and Shinkai said:

“I often think of the anime I’ve created as my children, but I’m not really that interested in what happens to those children afterwards. The Hollywood version was announced, and though I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out, at the same time, it’s like my son has already set off on his journey, and what kind of adult he grows into is something for him to deal with himself.”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2