• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you have an anime you absolutely refuse to watch, if so why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if I'd say I refuse to watch anything, as in "I refuse to try episode 1," but there are plenty of anime that I'm skeptical to the idea of ending up liking. Still, if a friend of mine is really into, say, some 80s anime that looks stupid to me, I'll probably watch it with him for as long as I can handle it just so we have something to talk about.

In my experience as an anime fan, there's no better thing than being surprised by something that looked crappy before you watched it. That's why I don't tend to lean toward any particular genre.

If I had to say though, I think I'm usually fairly skeptical on Sports and Mecha anime. I'm sure there are plenty I'd love, but I can't usually motivate myself to watch them without a friend who's into them first.

I give the first episodes of things a chance, but I probably wouldn't persist through Samurai Deeper Kyo even if someone told me it gets better.
haruki89

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:58 am Reply with quote
Incompetent Nana. The story made me Nausea
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote
Anything with more than 50/52 episodes, I only made a few exceptions, Brotherhood and Monster; long runs are just not for me.
notthatguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
Anything that is a harem anime without treating the subject as a joke/parody. And, no, the main character saying oh my God, how annoying is it to have all these women jumping at me does not constitute a parody.

Romantic slice of life anime where the two leads just misunderstand each other for 24 episodes where any normal people in their situation would be doing unspeakable things on the couch on the second night.

Dark magical girl. Yes, you’re child soldiers expected to make the ultimate sacrifice, also you all have weird relationships with each other that border on the pathological and holy shit there’s a lot of blood.

Otome. For the most part these seem like combinations of Hallmark movies and women dating unusually beautiful men who all act like total dicks or jealous women.

Any isekai where the character is ridiculously overpowered and everything comes easily to him, and everybody it’s just throwing themselves at him and everyone tells him how much they suck and how awesome he is. Also power fantasy/revenge isekai that reads like something out of a school shooter’s manifesto.

Anything really dark having to do with murder where there aren’t any redeemable characters and it just keeps getting worse until everyone is either dead or horribly scarred, and you just feel bummed out.

Adventure/fighting/comedy anime that goes over 500 episodes, half of them filler or stills of the cast arguing about how much they hate corporate.

And finally, although this isn’t a genre, anything that we’re supposed to know the complete backstory of every single character by reading light novels, playing video games, and arguing with people on Internet forums because the show can’t be bothered to indulge in any form of world building, context, or exposition. See this character that seems unimportant and dies in the first 30 seconds of the show, well she was the main character of the 10 volume light novels, and this is really important.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3