• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Zillion BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
It doesn't happen that much because most dubs still aren't that great -- face it, most anime is much above mediocre, either, and the storyline NOT the voices alone is what makes a show great -- but I'm open to dubs.

Personally, I find many dubs since mid-2000 to now to have been of excellent quality; I have yet to find one I've seen thus far that remotely stinks. I'm more dub than sub, but if something has never been or never will be dubbed, then I'll have to stick with subs. Case in point, it's the only way I can watch Detective Conan.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
On the other hand, when Funi pulls stuff like NOT bothering with including existing dubs -- even if it's only a few episodes -- OR putting out a Speed Racer set with the Japanese original series for $300, it makes you wonder if some of the criticism of Funi isn't warranted.

$300 for a bunch of unneeded frisbees (specifically the DVDs included) in a godawful head. They really should have kept it Blu-ray only and released the 97 show in SD like Japan did at the time. This release is still sad to me because they went from releasing decent quality LEs for Haruhi Suzumiya & Code Geass (ignoring the R2 dub problems and other issues I had with those releases, especially Haruhi) to that Speed head and it makes me wonder what were they thinking, especially when they never bothered to put both Japanese shows up for streaming during the FUNiroll deal while they did for the original's dub on their own site.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
This show looks interesting, I may give it a watch if I can find it (not looking for the Blu-Ray though).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

On the other hand, when Funi pulls stuff like NOT bothering with including existing dubs -- even if it's only a few episodes -- OR putting out a Speed Racer set with the Japanese original series for $300, it makes you wonder if some of the criticism of Funi isn't warranted.

Yeah, I didn't spend $800 for that Legend of the Galactic Heroes set from Sentai, either...
I think you're making a lot of assumptions about Funimation's motives for not including the Zillion dub when it could be just as likely Funimation simply couldn't get the rights to use the old dub or maybe it would have made the license more expensive if they bought the old dub too, especially if as NJ says, and the Zillion license was part of a package deal with Speed Racer. If something is unable to be licensed, usually it's because they couldn't licence it, not because a company is secretly out there making bad decisions on purpose to antagonize their fanbase.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I wish Discotek pick up Zillion because at least they would have added the old dub.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think you're making a lot of assumptions about Funimation's motives for not including the Zillion dub when it could be just as likely Funimation simply couldn't get the rights to use the old dub or maybe it would have made the license more expensive if they bought the old dub too, especially if as NJ says, and the Zillion license was part of a package deal with Speed Racer. If something is unable to be licensed, usually it's because they couldn't licence it, not because a company is secretly out there making bad decisions on purpose to antagonize their fanbase.

And, to curtail any potential "But then why is Discotek including old Streamline dubs?!" that might come up, because this can also apply to why Sentai didn't include the old Streamline dub for the Nadia re-release, it's more than likely that those old Streamline dubs are in a legal grey area. Since Streamline isn't in business anymore, it's really unknown who actually owns the rights to the old dubs. Since they were old 90s dubs, some of them (like Zillion or Nadia) may not have automatically reverted back to the Japanese licensors, so including them in a new release could, theoretically, create legal trouble should someone claim that a dub was included without their permission. I think it's been stated before on Answerman that, when it comes to these old dubs, the Japanese licensors tend to have two responses: "We don't care, so if you want to include it then go ahead," or "We don't like that dub, because it was done without our full approval, so you can't include it now." The latter has happened with Maiden Japan's re-releases of stuff like Black Magic M-66 & New Dominion Tank Police, as neither include their original CPM dubs.

Then, on the side of the companies here, it can simply be seen as an extraneous expense that isn't worth the money to them. Discotek puts in the extra effort to include whatever dubs they can, which can include buying multiple copies (&/or versions) of a dub on VHS tape in order to compile together the best possible quality version of said old dub, and that likely doesn't come cheap. Still, that's Discotek's MO to do so. FUNimation & Sentai, on the other hand, are more straightforward with their releases, so they likely don't feel that it'd be worth the extra cost to buy all the Zillion or Nadia VHS tapes, because each episode was its own VHS & the original master tapes for those dub are likely gone forever, rip the audio from them, make sure they can match the remastered footage (VHS can & will stretch & warp over time, so it's possible), and if any parts don't then repeat the first two steps with newly-bought extra copies of whatever VHS tapes are needed. Sure, Sentai could have theoretically ripped the dub audio for Nadia from the laserdisc release, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I fully agree that the Streamline dub for Zillion should have been included in some way, but I'm not going to act like every company should be like Discotek Media when it comes to this kind of stuff. FUNimation & Discotek tend to market to very different types of anime fans, but sometimes they do cross over, and when that happens we see the flaws of either. For example, people ragged on Discotek for giving Free! a sub-only, DVD-only release for the first season originally, but that tends to be Discotek's MO when it comes to newer titles that don't already have things like existing dubs.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with the review about Zillion's opening theme song not being memorable. I think it's actually one of the catchiest OPs of the '80s, and it's still on my playlist to this day along with the opening and ending songs from Zillion: Burning Night (the closing song from Burning Night, "Sayonara no Machikado," is one of my favorite anime songs of all time). So while the series itself may be a bit generic, I'll probably always have a soft spot for the music. Also, Production I.G. was originally formed to create this show.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
The latter has happened with Maiden Japan's re-releases of stuff like Black Magic M-66 & New Dominion Tank Police, as neither include their original CPM dubs.

Manga Entertainment you mean, those dubs were made after CPM stopped working with them.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Personally, I find many dubs since mid-2000 to now to have been of excellent quality; I have yet to find one I've seen thus far that remotely stinks. I'm more dub than sub, but if something has never been or never will be dubbed, then I'll have to stick with subs. Case in point, it's the only way I can watch Detective Conan.

Completely agree.

ZenAmako wrote:
I have to disagree with the review about Zillion's opening theme song not being memorable. I think it's actually one of the catchiest OPs of the '80s, and it's still on my playlist to this day along with the opening and ending songs from Zillion: Burning Night (the closing song from Burning Night, "Sayonara no Machikado," is one of my favorite anime songs of all time). So while the series itself may be a bit generic, I'll probably always have a soft spot for the music. Also, Production I.G. was originally formed to create this show.

Haha, I feel the same, I loved this OP back then lol.

MarshalBanana wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
I would have called this a perfect home release if it could have been dubbed with some of the same crew from the first five episodes,
If they had I doubt they would have bothered re-assembling the cast, no offence to those who do care, but I doubt there are few who care about a cast reunite from an unfinished dub of an obscure show. It would have been done in-house if they had dubbed it, which I think if it had been a bit shorter they may have, there was a show form the 90s that they re-released awhile ago with a new dub.

Yeah.

I would have loved it if they had at least been able to do that since I would have enjoyed a new complete dub for this either way, new cast or mixed in old cast, since I would have gotten an extra kick out of revisiting this show with some kind of dub since I originally got into it thanks to renting that old dub of the first set of episodes, though it's been fun just to finally see the rest of the series thanks to this release. That said, it also would have indeed been a blast to hear a bunch of those actors that are still voicing, a bunch of whom that are are pretty great now, get to do the show for real this time since they got me attached to it back then with the sample. Smile

That reminds me, I just started watching the new B't X dub, that kind of came out of nowhere with such a great cast that got discussed on here after it got announced, really liking it from what I've watched so far of my set.

Edit: The box art for the Zillion set is indeed awesome.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I would have loved it if they had at least been able to do that since I would have enjoyed a new complete dub for this either way, new cast or mixed in old cast, since I would have gotten an extra kick out of revisiting this show with some kind of dub since I originally got into it thanks to renting that old dub of the first set of episodes, though it's been fun just to finally see the rest of the series to this release. That said, it also would have indeed been a blast to hear a bunch of those actors that are still voicing, a bunch of whom that are are pretty great now, get to do the show for real this time since they got me attached to it back then with the sample. :)

I would totally get behind a returning + new cast dub; that's one of my favorite kinds. It's almost like a crossover.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
the review felt dismissive of this series,but in my country it's regarded as a classic since it was dubbed and broadcasted back in the day and is remembered fondly by thoe who watched it
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
This show really does not get a lot of respect here in the U.S.. Never understood it. It's not the deepest, most imaginative series by any stretch of the means, but it IS a fun show with what I really think is some great animation, awesome music and just an overall fun feel. It's been a favorite of mine since I saw it on the old Streamline VHS tapes back in '90. But, for some reason, almost every single major anime reviewer that I've read over the years, and even a lot of Youtubers I've listened to, just completely write the series off as nothing special.

I don't expect people to always agree with my opinion or see everything from my P.O.V., but somehow I feel like it becomes a herd mentality sort of thing to dismiss and even outright dogg older anime. I thought maybe we'd gotten past all the negative reactions to old anime, what with all the classic shows getting a release out here. I was sadly mistaken, I guess. I would take this kinda thing over any of the alternative-world/moe/high school drama/light novel/fetish based stuff making it's way over here nowadays.

No, this isn't a perfect show but, it does feel like the writers and animators and music composers cared enough to craft as good of a series as they could with what they had to work with. I dunno if it's just me, but all of my favorite anime from back then really don't get the respect I honestly believe they should. I honestly feel like I'm one of the only people that can see the merits in things like Saint Seiya, Samurai Troopers Iczer-One, Dangaioh, Odin, M.D. Geist and a whole bunch of other practically universally maligned anime. Zillion seems to be on that list of anime for critics to write off as just marginal, or worse.

Am I seeing things that others can't or won't in these titles? Or is there some unspoken rule that if it's not an art piece, than you can bet the anime critics will more than likely hate it? I don't think I'm crazy or that I have bad taste in anime...if I have to be labeled as such for liking these titles, though, I may as well embrace it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
Am I seeing things that others can't or won't in these titles? Or is there some unspoken rule that if it's not an art piece, than you can bet the anime critics will more than likely hate it? I don't think I'm crazy or that I have bad taste in anime...if I have to be labeled as such for liking these titles, though, I may as well embrace it.

First of all, never feel bad about liking what you like, no matter what others think of it. I'm sure you don't need to be told this, but it's just something I feel is worth mentioning here.

Anyway, part of the thing about being a anime critic, especially if they work for a major site like ANN, is that they watch so much anime every year with the intention of writing about it. Therefore, they wind up seeing so many of the same concepts, traditions, & tropes being utilized so often that they do tend to give more praise to something that manages to rise above those standards, rather than simply execute them well. It's a bit of a double-edged sword in that regard, because when they have to be more critical of something for a review, it might come off as them harsher on an anime than they likely would be if they were just watching it for their own amusement or curiosity. The end result is that something like Zillion, which may not break the mold (or, due to its age, be a trailblazer), will come off as simply C-grade critically, because someone like Theron has seen other titles that have aimed higher & achieved more in the years since Zillion first aired.

It doesn't mean that Zillion is bad, per se, but I'm sure that whenever I finally watch it (I did buy the boxset, so I'm supporting it) I'll be watching it more with a historical appreciation than with a general sense of it possibly being one of the finest of the 80s.
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While "waxy" isn't the way I'd describe the difference, the color is definitely a little more vivid. I don't think this would be noticeable without the side-by-side comparison, however, which is probably why the other reviewer didn't pick up on it, either.

Yeah, it's basically removal of film grain (and thus lost of detail in the artwork). Similar to what happened with the Blu-ray release of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. A lot of people were fine with that, but a lot of people weren't. It was decisive.

I think the reason is you might not notice the excessive DNR if you haven't seen the great looking Japanese DVD release with the film grain intact, but since I've already partially watched those for Zillion my eyes are now ruined for this version (similar to how I can't bring myself to buy an SD version of an anime after I've already seen it in HD). I bought this set from Funimation mainly because I like this show and I want to encourage the licensing of old mech shows but I probably will actually watch my Japanese DVDs instead of these discs.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
honestly feel like I'm one of the only people that can see the merits in things like Saint Seiya, Samurai Troopers Iczer-One, Dangaioh, Odin, M.D. Geist and a whole bunch of other practically universally maligned anime. Zillion seems to be on that list of anime for critics to write off as just marginal, or worse.

Nice. Like Lord Geo said don't let it get to ya. Smile

I still remember how the first set of eps hooked me so much for Zillion. I really liked the team and their gear. Probably similar to how fast I got hooked on Teknoman, loved that show too.

Hell yeah, Iczer-One. I'm also a huge fan of that, one of my early favs. Iczer-One and her powers were so badass. Even got the sub-only releases of Iczer-3 and Iczellion thanks to it. I also loved Samurai Troopers (well, the Ronin Warriors version I watched on TV) and Dangaioh as well, and it was really cool seeing Great Dangaioh a while back. Only saw some of Saint Seiya during its Toonami run. Heh, I had fun with Odin too, even though it doesn't usually get great impressions. Probably helped that I didn't get to see Star Blazers until way later. Yamato 2199 was awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3