• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! Author's Cop Craft Light Novel Gets 2019 TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Yeah, I'm not convinced.
If her height is that of an adult, having a cute face or small breasts won't make her body type "loli", at least not for me.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to try making yourself feel better. It won't be the end of the world if a character is underage when said character is a fictional character and like I said being considered a loli DOESN'T mean that character is actually underage, there are plenty of legal loli characters in anime. For most this character definitely is a loli. She definitely doesn't look like an "Adult" in any sense of the word that's for sure, and guess what? I still find her attractive! *Gasps*
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but you seem to have missed your target here.
I am a huge lolicon myself, but I'm not really convinced looking at the illustrations, I think it's just Murata's cutesy style. If she actually looks short in the series, then I'll be convinced she is a loli, but not until then.
On a different note, we also lose if she IS a loli, because then we can bid farewell to the sex outfit of hers, because lolis being sexualized in anime is a thing of the past, unless they are some under-the-radar token lolis in a borderline hentai series.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
I'm sorry, but you seem to have missed your target here.
I am a huge lolicon myself, but I'm not really convinced looking at the illustrations, I think it's just Murata's cutesy style. If she actually looks short in the series, then I'll be convinced she is a loli, but not until then.
On a different note, we also lose if she IS a loli, because then we can bid farewell to the sex outfit of hers, because lolis being sexualized in anime is a thing of the past, unless they are some under-the-radar token lolis in a borderline hentai series.

I'm a lolicon too but obviously our standards of what lolis are differs dramatically. Also you really need to pay more attention to series because plenty of loli in anime still get fanserviced. Prisma Illya (I'm also a huge Fate fan and this is my favorite Fate series) has tons of fanservice probably the most of any other loli series and that's not even its main focus. Then we got characters like Jack the Ripper from Fate/Apocrypha (which aired literally a year ago) and Fate/Grand Order who's entire outfit is basically her wearing a thong. I think the outfits in Cop Craft will be just fine when animated and nothing is going to be censored, hell I'll even bet on it.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
That's off topic, but no, lolis don't really get sexualized anymore, if it does happen it's the necessary exception to the rule, and then again, only if the character is a token loli (like Jack). And then again, even if there's any in lewd outfits, they certainly don't dare focus much on sexualizing it.
Even Prisma Illya butchered the majority fanservice in the last two series (aside from the kisses), and since its airing and now, the "NO LOLI ALLOWED" mentality became much more common in anime. Just take a look at Uchi no Maid for example, not just censoring, but 100% cutting out the bunch of different fanservice, even the most subtle ones.

So if we want to appreciate how "hot" this girl is, we can only hope she is not a loli, that's all.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
That's off topic, but no, lolis don't really get sexualized anymore, if it does happen it's the necessary exception to the rule, and then again, only if the character is a token loli (like Jack). And then again, even if there's any in lewd outfits, they certainly don't dare focus much on sexualizing it.
Even Prisma Illya butchered the majority fanservice in the last two series (aside from the kisses), and since its airing and now, the "NO LOLI ALLOWED" mentality became much more common in anime.

So if we want to appreciate how "hot" this girl is, we can only hope she is not a loli, that's all.

You know there's a problem when a lolicon wishes a character ISN'T a loli lmao. She dresses in school uniforms and school swimsuits and is drawn to look like a young girl, I'm pretty sure Murata intended on her being a loli. I'm just going to disagree with you here and leave it at that.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
You can leave at that all you want.
Until I don't know what her height is (from the illustrations, it's not shorter than an adult woman), I won't consider her a loli, and yes, even as a lolicon, I don't want anime adaptations of sources that have any lewdness to have lolis, because I can enjoy cute but older girls, but when a series says "hey, f*** you lolicons" and removes/butchers all fanservice, it ruins my enjoyment of a series.
And I'm pretty sure she was never intended to be a loli either, just by the illustrations, and knowing Murata's style tbh. School swimsuits/uniforms can just as well be highschool/university as anything else, in fact elementary schools usually don't have uniforms...

I mean, come on, they would never show this of a loli in our times.

https://i.imgur.com/rk47gwF.jpg

[Edit]: changed your image tags to url tags - Image NSFW. Errinundra.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
You can leave at that all you want.
Until I don't know what her height is (from the illustrations, it's not shorter than an adult woman), I won't consider her a loli, and yes, even as a lolicon, I don't want anime adaptations of sources that have any lewdness to have lolis, because I can enjoy cute but older girls, but when a series says "hey, f*** you lolicons" and removes/butchers all fanservice, it ruins my enjoyment of a series.
And I'm pretty sure she was never intended to be a loli either, just by the illustrations, and knowing Murata's style tbh. School swimsuits/uniforms can just as well be highschool/university as anything else, in fact elementary schools usually don't have uniforms...

Your definition of loli doesn't' make any sense, height alone isn't what determines what character is a loli or not. Also since when were loli characters exclusive to elementary school, many of them are 12-14 and in a middle school setting ~_~ She's wearing clothes an adult woman wouldn't wear (normally), which suggests she's meant to look like like an underage character even if she actually isn't. Her outfit won't get censored if she is a loli though, for how much you're crying about censorship of lolis in anime I somehow still find plenty to enjoy on that front with no issues. Hell that picture you just linked from the light novels makes her look even more like a loli...This argument is dumb though, we're not going to change each other's minds over this.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Her outfit won't get censored if she is a loli though

OHhhhhhhhh, that's right, it only happens in 9 out of 10 titles, even if the source material has a lolicon target audience, how RETARDED of me to think that will happen in a series that tries to target a wide audience!
Seriously though, I don't understand how people can be so naive AND optimistic.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
From what I remember, the female lead is in her 20’s. She’s just petite and looks young.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
From what I remember, the female lead is in her 20’s. She’s just petite and looks young.

She's still a loli then, just a legal one. Age doesn't factor in when it comes to if a character is a loli or not.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Except when she's not petite enough to be a loli, but probably enough to cut out her fanservice.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Reverse isekai shows can have some interesting ideas and the setup sounds a bit similar to the movie Alien Nation. A buddy cop show where the partner is a magical knight could be a lot of fun.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That key visual looks pretty cool. Reading the premise and knowing that it’s by Shoji Gatoh has me very intrigued in this series. It might only be me, but I have a weird hope that Kyoto Animation could be the studio animating this one. That may just be a pipe dream, but they have animated series in the past that I never expected them to do, so who knows? Either way, I’m definitely keeping an eye on this.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
As much as I want a top tier animation studio to animate this, I'd rather it not be KyoAni.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
That's a great cover image.

Hell yes! Making my day. Pretty great news for ending the year on for me lol.
Been hoping for an anime for this ever since coming across the existence of this series thanks to seeing Murata's art for it around when the first volume or two came out in Japan when I came across the covers looking for more from one of my all-time favorite artists. And then learning that Shoji Gatoh was the author for extra hype and the premise.

As has been said, I'd love it if a top tier studio and staff animates this and captures his art style well so that it's recognizable as his art. It'll be awesome to have a new series with his art again and the setup sounds great with it being a reverse isekai buddy cop show.

Chrono1000 wrote:
Reverse isekai shows can have some interesting ideas and the setup sounds a bit similar to the movie Alien Nation. A buddy cop show where the partner is a magical knight could be a lot of fun.

Yeah, could have a lot of potential, can't wait.

Catsplay wrote:
Anyway I love Murata's style and the light novel artwork is gorgeous. I really hope they try to retain some of it in the anime adaptation.

Also

This. It's gorgeous. I agree, I really hope they get an anime designer that can adapt them well for animation and still capture his art style. The mix in character and setting art for this looks like such a perfect mix for him, similar to back when they made the first Last Exile and he got the freedom to go all-in on creating the setting with the character/costumes/uniform designs and setting art and the classic inspiration for how the vanships would look, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3