• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Best and Worst of 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I really liked DarliFra.

I need to check out Gridman ASAP.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
_Darling in the FRANXX_ was the best anime of the year: It dealt with *THE* social-and-political issue confronting Japan (the utter collapse of the nation's birth-rate[*]); and it illustrated beyond question the epic, flagrant hypocrisy of most anime commenters -- "anime's Really Cool when it presents answers you agree with; but when it points up an existential problem, and tells you 'there's one answer, and you won't agree with it', you try to bury it".

[*: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/japan-population/ ]
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
Denys Lalande wrote:
_Darling in the FRANXX_ was the best anime of the year: It dealt with *THE* social-and-political issue confronting Japan (the utter collapse of the nation's birth-rate[*]); and it illustrated beyond question the epic, flagrant hypocrisy of most anime commenters -- "anime's Really Cool when it presents answers you agree with; but when it points up an existential problem, and tells you 'there's one answer, and you won't agree with it', you try to bury it".

[*: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/japan-population/ ]

......... What?

Man I saw some good stuff this year. Devilman Crybaby, Megalo Box, Baki, I’d say those are among my favorites. It’s fun to ponder deeply in this matter.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
Denys Lalande wrote:
_Darling in the FRANXX_ was the best anime of the year

Nice try, Shinzo Abe.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
!
Worst:
Darling in the. Franxx, brought to you by those right-wing Japanese politicians who want otaku to have babies already. (They might have thrown some money at Conception, too, but it would be a waste because Conception doesn't even know how babies are made. DitF knows that when a boy and a girl love their giant robot very much...)

You, my friend, need to be awarded some sort of commendation for that posting.

My pick for Best Anime, despite how much I loved A Place Further Than The Universe, goes to one that most people probably missed, Kokkoku.

My pick for Worst has to go to Citrus. Besides all the characters being cardboard cut-out tropes (the useless gyaru, the spoilt rich kid, the yandere subordinate, the childhood friend who suddenly declares attraction) the general message of the show is that sexually harassment is perfectly acceptable when it's between two people of the same gender. Hint: Nope, still not okay.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
My main favorites this year were Place Further Than the Universe, Hinamatsuri, and Chio's School Road.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Top 5 would be Fate/Apocrypha, Goblin Slayer, How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord, SAO Alicization, and Zombie Land Saga. Honorable mentions would be Angels of Death, Darling in the Franxx, and Gegege no Kitaro. The most disappointing shows that I finished were Rerided and Tokyo Ghoul:re which had a lot of potential but they had so many problems that the end result was average.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
It's always challenging picking my favorite shows of the year. Most of the shows I end up watching are returning shows or sequels. For truly original 2018 anime, I would have to say Yuru Camp, Isekai Maou, Gridman, Darling in the Franxx, and Goblin Slayer were my top 5 enjoyable new entries this year.

- Stuart Smith
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Connor Dino wrote:
I hope Nick gushes about Macross Delta, because I have an equally long rant about why that show was terrible. And not enough people care.

You and me are gonna fight in a field

I'll be there hold him down. Guy must think this was different Macross or something actually decent.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed they didn't mention Space Battleship Yamato 2202. (sigh)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I'm disappointed they didn't mention Space Battleship Yamato 2202. (sigh)

Technically isn’t done yet. That’s why I’m not too upset about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2