• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is It Possible To Eat Gluten-Free In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
My first thought upon seeing this was "Of course! There's so much rice!"

Then I remembered, "Oh, yeah, soy sauce..."

My grandmother has Celiac disease, and as such I know first-hand that gluten-free food is improving all the time. She made gluten-free pumpkin bread for Christmas that was actually the best pumpkin bread I've ever had, and I would have never guessed it was gluten-free.

Kikkoman makes a gluten-free soy sauce, though I doubt it's readily available in Japan, and I haven't tasted it so I don't know if it holds up to the original. I'm sure one of these days a good gluten-free soy sauce will be readily available in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
As far as I remember, Japan has had no tolerance for people with food "problems", and they pretty much believe that everyone is simply picky, and being picky in Japan is a serious NO.
We have seen this in most, if not all, anime with any kind of food involved, with the classic "proverb": Picky eaters don't grow strong.
It might seem pretty innocent and actually good to teach people about how bad it is to be picky, however, many seem to forget that kids that don't eat something might do it for a reason, and the Japanese tend to ignore that, attributing it to them being picky eaters and nothing else.
There are plenty of horror stories related to this, as many as there are related to hair color, or being too tall, and it all comes down to THE Japanese proverb "the nail that sticks out, must be hammered down", meaning, anyone that stands out must be standarized, be it with their cooperation, or against their will.

And what about people with religious (not health-related) restrictions on food, like Muslims and Jews?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
According to the Finnish Coeliac Society soy sauce is gluten-free because the (wheat) gluten in the soy sauce breaks down during the fermentation process.

I don't know if that's so, but if it is, the conflicting information may be because not all soy sauce is fermented, at least in the US. If you see "hydrolized soy protein" on the ingredient list, it was manufactured in a few days, not the months or years good soy sauce is brewed for. Even "naturally brewed" brands like Kikkoman may not have been brewed to Japanese standards timewise for international consumption, so maybe it takes a long fermentation period to break down the gluten?
chronos02

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

And what about people with religious (not health-related) restrictions on food, like Muslims and Jews?

That's their problem, it's up to them to know what dishes have food they don't want to eat. And this extends to the whole planet, if you're following a religion that bans X or Y, it's up to you, and you alone, to research who, where, how, and what is served wherever you go, after all, following a religion is up to the individual's free will, and not because of biological and/or psychological problems.

Still, there are some muslim-managed restaurants that follow those religious beliefs even in Japan, but, again, it's up to the individual to look for those places, the Japanese are under no obligation to help you there. Even those with celiac or any other kind of biological problem would be on their own if it weren't for many governments or social movements that have forced companies to label their products correctly, as well as produce other kinds more favorable with those groups. Japan is slightly behind on these aspects because of the reasons I explained before, and probably some others which I don't know about, so, in a way, religious-based diets might be easier to follow since you will probably have it easier to find a few restaurants or even conbinis with the products themselves.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
So are the Japanese just not given to shellfish allergies, or are cross-contamination controls more widely respected than this particular answerman makes it sound?

I can't find numbers but I would guess shellfish allergies are much lower there (based on more recent studies showing that children should be exposed to allergens at an early age to help prevent series allergies that make sense).

I do have a serious shellfish allergy myself and was able to do a trip to Japan and did just fine. My friend did write me a note about my allergy in case it came up and I was not with him. There was only one minor incident where we were at a Japanese curry restaurant and it turned out the miso has tiny clams in it. So, I had to pass on the soup. Otherwise there is a lot of food that doesn't contain shellfish and would likely not suffer from cross contamination. I'd say though, having knowledge about Japanese food before going will help with avoiding shellfish.

luisedgarf wrote:

Basically, they would need to figure out what they can and cannot eat. I know when my friend lived in Japan (15 years ago) that his vegetarian friends only ate out at an Indian restaurant (run by actual Indians).

My one friend doesn't eat pork for religious reasons and doesn't like shellfish. But on my trip we were still able to find him food without a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't know if that's so, but if it is, the conflicting information may be because not all soy sauce is fermented, at least in the US. If you see "hydrolized soy protein" on the ingredient list, it was manufactured in a few days, not the months or years good soy sauce is brewed for. Even "naturally brewed" brands like Kikkoman may not have been brewed to Japanese standards timewise for international consumption, so maybe it takes a long fermentation period to break down the gluten?

I dunno. I found a FAQ thingy on their website that says that according to current information (2018) a celiac can use normal soy sauce even if wheat was one of the ingredients. It says that some soy sauces are made without fermentation but in those cases (according to their information) wheat isn't used, only water, soy beans and salt. Dunno if that's true for the soy sauces sold in the US.

But according to them gluten-free oat (pure oat) is fine for celiacs. But I've tried it and I only need literally a couple cookies and I'll be throwing up a couple hours later. Not a fun experience.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, I think you're right. Never mind. Smile
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I run a Japan travel company, and I can confirm that what Justin says is pretty much spot on.

Onigiri and bento should also be consumed with care; some convenience stores and markets actually add products with gluten to the rice to extend shelf life, and it's hard to tell what you are eating a lot of the time.

It should be said that just because something is a food trend in America doesn't mean it will be one in Japan, or anywhere else for that matter. The Atkins Diet didn't catch on in Japan when it was huge in the USA (telling Japan not to eat rice is kind of a non-starter), and the "gluten-free" lifestyle isn't catching on either. Trends of this nature are more tied to specific cultures than people like to admit.

If you have Celiacs, I do have good news for you: Japan's major cities (and many smaller ones too) have a lot of amazing Indian food - much of which is better than what we can get in the USA, and much of which is gluten free! Give that a look for starters. Also, if you can stay in a place where you can prepare your own meals (like a hostel), you can make food using Japan's amazing fruit and vegetable options, which will blow your mind. <3

In any case, consult with your doctor about what options you have before you get on the plane. Most of the time, our guests are able to form a diet plan with their health professionals and still have a blast.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be the wet blanket here, but it's nigh impossible to eat gluten-free in Japan unless you're cooking everything yourself. I have SEVERE reactions to gluten and it restricts me to eating only home-cooked food. I wanted to apply to the JET program years ago, but gave up because my lifestyle isn't compatible with the culture. I did SO much research and unfortunately, even the rice can be cut with barley in restaurants to save money. Aside from soy sauce, even the MSG that's in everything can be derived of wheat.

Other posters mentioned it here, but Japanese culture can be downright hostile to people with food allergies/sensitivities--it's such an issue that mothers of children with food restrictions have to fight with the schools sometimes. Sad
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Unless you have a common allergy like shellfish, most Japanese restaurants likely won't accommodate you. It's the same in France and wherever there's a "food is art" culture. You have to do your own research, which shouldn't be too hard in the big cities with hundreds of thousands of restaurants where you can get by with little language skills.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Well, Japan does have it's own religious food restricted diet tradition: Buddhist vegetarianism "Shojin Ryouri"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmV_fY1XJ8s
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
harminia wrote:
I have a slight gluten intolerance (mostly if I eat bread, though I eat it anyway because I'm a rebel), but the bread in Japan isn't as bad as the bread in the west (in my case, Australia). Apparently it has lower levels of gluten or something.

I hope that's the case that Japan processes their food in a more natural way than America, because we're planning a trip in 2020 and my sister has an intolerance to practically everything under the sun, but gluten, corn and white rice affect her the worst (what with corn and grains being some of our most highly processed foods). With the amount of white rice the Japanese eat it's going to become a big problem real quickly if her body doesn't adjust to it well enough.

This is a bit anecdotal, but I generally eat GF/dairy-free (none of my reactions are severe, but if I eat too much gluten/dairy I definitely notice the effects). I visited Japan a couple years ago and my friends living there brought me to a restaurant in Shinjuku that had lots of GF/vegan options, and overall a lovely organic/local/fresh/healthy(/hipster :) ) atmosphere! I was trying to find its name just now and ended up on TripAdvisor, which has a search where you can browse restaurants in a given city, with various dietary restrictions as a filter. I didn't track down that particular restaurant because there were quite a few GF places on the list. So you might need to do a bit of research and planning ahead, but it does look like there are many places serving these needs. (of course, you'll have the best luck in big cities I'm sure!)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Are people nowadays really having difficulties processing glutens in their system as a result of a rise in coeliac disease or is this just another diet craze?

Gluten causes me to have seizures.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Harminia wrote:
I think a problem is a lot of people are realising they have gluten intolerances on some level, and now that there are lots of gluten-free foods being made, they find it better to eat those. I know of people whose mood is effected by gluten, and a lot of people who don't have celiac disease suffer problems like bloating or (in my case) acid reflux type problems. Also I think it's a view that going gluten-free is probably healthier anyway.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous! People have been eating gluten for thousands of years without any notes indicating an intolerance to the fact! Plus, your anecdotal evidence about "knowing" people having mood or reflux problems doesn't essentially improve the argument here. Like it or not, gluten is fibre and it's sustinence! If you're not at the risk of perishing by consuming gluten, then this whole issue is much ado about nothing!
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Gluten causes me to have seizures.

HOW?

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
There are options if you know where to look. I have Muslim friends and vegetarian friends who either live in or visit Japan often. Sure it's a bit harder to pick a restaurant, but there are definitely options. I remember I went to an organic cafe in Shibuya with a friend who was vegetarian and they had a bunch of GF options too. One of my co-workers is allergic to so many foods (tomatoes, nuts, most fruits, etc) and the company is always mindful of her dietary needs when we have parties. (We order one pizza with no tomato sauce just for her.)

I think you just need to make a plan and research possible places to eat beforehand in order to make it a good trip. You can search sites like Tabelog for restaurants that meet your requirements. Having a little note card that says in Japanese your dietary restrictions will go a long way, and I can't see any restaurant staff giving you a hard time about it. The worst that can happen is that they'll say they unfortunately can't accommodate you. (They don't want to be at fault for making anyone sick, afterall.)

I've also seen small supermarkets that carry halal foods, and kebab carts (run by Muslims) are halal too. If you stay at a place that offers a kitchen and you can cook for yourself then that's easiest, but otherwise it's not impossible to get around Japan with dietary restrictions. Just takes a little more work, as I said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3