• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is It Possible To Eat Gluten-Free In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
I'm gluten intolerant, it cause widespread inflammation when I eat it as my body creates an antibody that reacts to the protein. So no it's not a fad but many people treat it as such.

Quote:
There is not much good science in this field, as reports of gluten issues are a pretty recent phenomenon, so we don't know for sure why that is and what we're doing differently than other countries. However, agricultural practices in different countries do vary.

No we know fairly cut and dry why this is. In the US we have hybridized wheat to have more gluten and outside of the US they have not. More Gluten = More reaction, less gluten = less reaction.

That's a pretty strong claim, do you have a source on that?
tsukikage85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
God help you if you're a native Japanese with celiac disease...
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
tsukikage85 wrote:
God help you if you're a native Japanese with celiac disease...

The first time I heard about Celiac disease, it was in Japan. I met someone there with it and when I invited him to a restaurant, he turned it around and invited me to another restaurant that accommodated his needs. He told me it's not a big deal as long as you know what to avoid. He doesn't shop at stores that package goods and usually shops at local shops that grow/make their own food and who know him and sell/make him (and other people) the ingredients/food he requests. It's at least easier to do that in rural Japan where these shops are plentiful and the community is more tight-knit.

Ironically, I was [prematurely] diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis a few months later when I had an ulcer in my colon. One of the things they told me to avoid was gluten (and when I learned more about gluten, it explained a lot about my digestion problems). Thankfully, when I returned to the U.S., I had a proper colonoscopy and it was determined that I just had Irritable Bowel Syndrome, NOT Ulcerative Colitis, but the gluten diet restrictions still applied.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:

I've also seen small supermarkets that carry halal foods, and kebab carts (run by Muslims) are halal too. If you stay at a place that offers a kitchen and you can cook for yourself then that's easiest, but otherwise it's not impossible to get around Japan with dietary restrictions. Just takes a little more work, as I said.

Which reminds me (and I don't know if this is helpful), but I believe a Japanese company just released the first-ever Halal-certified soy sauce, if that helps anyone adhering to those restrictions.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
Japan is like Apple: what they do, they do very well - but if ya want to go outside their script, temper those expectations.

Japan generally treats anything homogeneously too - what's good for the goose is good for the gander; things are done simply because that's how it's always been done.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I’d mention that one of the Ghibli staffed Modest Heroes anthology films currently in theaters, is about a boy dealing with severe food allergies. So it’s obviously not a topic that’s beyond the consciousness of Japanese culture as some are trying to portray.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting AnswerMan piece. I am not gluten-sensitive as far as I know, and certainly do not suffer from Celiac's disease, but I am fatally allergic to (ingesting) fish and shellfish. (On imbibing a small bite of fish, I go into rather enthusiastic anaphylatic shock, as I have empirically tested on exactly one exciting occasion.)

I had asked about exactly this issue on Quora a while back and gotten pretty negative feedback, e.g. that it is very hard to ensure that restaurants don't put fish flakes in food, and that restaurant staffs/chefs may be disinclined to accommodate even very severe, somewhat common allergies. That was pretty disappointing, and got me wondering how native Japanese folks with fish/shellfish allergies make out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3