• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, numbers 1 and 2 were pretty good for me, but I couldn't decide on one of them, so I flipped a coin. And so I voted for 2, which after seeing the results, am glad I did.

#5 definetly sounded "old".
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:

.....Haruhi...1st choice Kari Wahlgren, 2nd choice Kate, 3rd choice Michelle. Assuming they auditioned.

Add in imaginary 4th choice to be Melissa Fahn! I know she can nail Haruhi's eccentric attitude well and still be cute in the process. And I know she can sing well (I remember listening to her ED song performance for El Hazard and that was pretty good).

As for Kyon, Crispan Freeman satisfies me. Cool
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
aegismode wrote:
rpgmaster1 wrote:
.I guess they'll leave the singing in Japanese since that song is very popular and will be ruined if sung in English. The same goes for Mikuru's episode 00.

I guess for me it goes like this. If they have the audacity to replace the songs in English then I will probably not buy R1 DVD in protest. I just can't see them being this sacrilegious after all that they've done. ^^

As for Kyon's voice, I picked #2. It was quite easy for me.

There IS a Japanese voice track, you know? So why on earth would you protest about the song if you can just listen to it on the Japanese track?

I like it when companies translate songs to English so I hope they go that route.
WraithAkaMrak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
For Kyon, I think any of 1, 2 and 4 would work, but I went with #1 for my vote. I just hope they get Kyon's sort of "constantly annoyed" voice down, whoever gets it.
EmeraldTheMaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
It was between #2 and #4, but #2 got my vote because #4 sounded too perky.
Also, I pity the person who votes for #5.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone ever thought that #5 was the same male voice who voiced in that episode 0 video promo? I bet they're just screwing with us. Laughing
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
For Kyon, it was hard to decide between #1 & #2, but I went with #2 because Crispin knows how to match with the character's personality. I don't know the VAs for #3, #4, and #5. Does anyone know? Adult Swim needs to get this series ASAP because it's much better than some of the shows the have in the past. This series will beat out FLCL in terms of ratings if it succeeds and must be shown first on Adult Swim. Putting it later in the time slot hurts the series a lot and ratings will plummet.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
CGord wrote:

.....Haruhi...1st choice Kari Wahlgren, 2nd choice Kate, 3rd choice Michelle. Assuming they auditioned.

Add in imaginary 4th choice to be Melissa Fahn! I know she can nail Haruhi's eccentric attitude well and still be cute in the process. And I know she can sing well (I remember listening to her ED song performance for El Hazard and that was pretty good).

As for Kyon, Crispan Freeman satisfies me. Cool

Yes! that's who I was thinking of! I thought, "you know, the person who did the voice of Ed from Cowboy Bebop could probably do a pretty mean Haruhi..." Ugh but with this audition I'm just as torn as I was from Itsuki's. I can't seem to choose from 1, 2, or 4 Anime cry
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
CGord wrote:

I can picture Haruhi's voice matching up to an older Ninamori Eri (since she, too, can be bossy). I think Melissa can do a good job at it. I mean it's one thing to have it sound "American"; but this is Haruhi we're talking about. In a perefect world Aya Hirano would give it her all to play the English version; but this, sadly, will not happen. Melissa, though, is as close as we can ever get to having an "English Aya."
Julia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
This is the one I have been waiting for... Kyon!
Though, I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the options given. I was impressed with 1 and 2. I felt 1 was a little bit better than 2. So I went with 1. Number 3 made me actually cringe listening to it. I'm sorry. I don't like to rag on a voice actor's work, but it was just... bad. And of course the last one sounded too old.
Kyon speaks the most thoughout the show. So it is important to get the absolute best voice possible for the dub. To me, it will really make or break the English dub. Plus, the actor in Japanese (sorry I forget his name ) did such an awesome job! It will be hard to compete with that.
On a side note, I would have liked to hear Johnny audition. Yes, I know he is in everything right now. But, I still would have liked to hear his impression of Kyon.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
To be frank, NONE of them are very good for Kyon. And they certainly don't live up to his awesome Japanese voice.

#1 sounded like a college professor, not a sarcastic teen

#2 (Crispin Freeman) is still a little too gruff for any of the roles

#3 is the only one of them that did "The speculations never end." any justice.

#4 isn't deep enough, but he's probably the best choice of the five.

#5 - WTF? They're kidding, right? That HAS to be a joke.

I voted for #4, but I'd be okay with Crispin Freeman - he just needs a little ironing out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I was actually pretty happy with Crispin's Kyon, I tend to not expect much, but he did a pretty good job. However, I didn't like any of the options for Itsuki. Not one of them had the relaxed, smiling joker's voice that the JP VA did. Itsuki was the kind of guy to trick you to 'going to a deserted island where he would trick you into making you afraid for your life' with a smile on his face kinda guy; he wasn't lazy, just the opposite, nor was he outright hilarious. He was extremely cynical with the very epitome of a critic's mind, and approached things extremely logically and precisely most of the time; rather reminiscent of a talkative Yuki if you asked me. Actually.... he could probably be described quite simply as a benign 'tanuki' pretty well. I really hope that none of the people who auditioned for Koizumi make it, or if they do, they are forced to completely revamp the way they approach his character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
...However, I didn't like any of the options for Itsuki. Not one of them had the relaxed, smiling joker's voice that the JP VA did...

I think we can consider that a vote for Bandai pulling a FMA and "borrowing" one of Ocean's stable of voice actors. Kirby Morrow (Inuyasha's Miroku) would be perfect for Itsuki.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
quigonkenny wrote:
selenta wrote:
...However, I didn't like any of the options for Itsuki. Not one of them had the relaxed, smiling joker's voice that the JP VA did...

I think we can consider that a vote for Bandai pulling a FMA and "borrowing" one of Ocean's stable of voice actors. Kirby Morrow (Inuyasha's Miroku) would be perfect for Itsuki.

I never even thought of that.....and I used to watch Inuyasha all the time Anime hyper
I think I'm going to have to agree with you completely on that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9