• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Slumbering Beauty GNs 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
This wasn't on my radar before, but it sounds interesting enough that I'll consider picking it up once I clear out most of my manga backlog. I always like having a short series or two on hand whenever I want to take a break from something longer.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
I very much enjoyed this one. The art is so un-moe cute, the characters are un-tsundere grumpy.
Due to Bunny Drop's, well, existence, I was a bit skeptical about this one at first, but that was unfounded.
The manga also reminded me of Takahashi's work, just, you know, ending too soon instead of never.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
It also plays with the Sleeping Beauty themes that Unita's art uses (mostly the vines on Yoneko's curtains and blanket), asking us to consider the possibility that the fairy tale princess may be sleeping because her “curse” was less magic and more the situation she was living in – and that maybe sleep is simply an escape for her.

This reminded of the movie King of Thorn which had a discussion ─ which was notably absent in the manga ─ of Sleeping Beauty.
In his review of King of Thorn, Theron Martin wrote:
Casting the whole story within the framework of Sleeping Beauty – which, surprisingly, was not done at all in the source material even though it's almost a perfect fit – is a distinct improvement, too.
In my own entry for King of Thorn, I wrote (in part):
Quote:
Having now read the manga, I can now say that that this movie is unusual in that it actually improves upon the manga. The tragedy is better and there is a really good discussion of Sleeping Beauty, as well. In the end, I'm not surprised of this because in an included interview the director said that that he'd had to submit a number of different scripts to the producer (6? 7? I forget.) before the project was green-lit.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
^I really liked that addition to King of Thorn. By far, though, my favorite anime use of the tale type is Magnetic Rose - not only does it play with the gender tropes and damsel-in-distress issue of the original tales, but it also looks at what it really means to be "asleep" - the last scenes of spoiler[Heintz opening his eyes and Eva's corpse looking like the famous image of Princess Aurora in the Disney film] really drive home the imagery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1