• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Remake Like It's 1999 [2019-01-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nx6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

But most folks aren't going to/aren't able to go dig up some 20+ year old series or movie with dated graphics and animation.

Sounds like their loss? Really. If people are too short-sighted to consider any anime made outside their lifetimes they're the ones with a problem, not the show. If you mean "dig up" like actually find a copy to watch, Crest of the Stars literally just got a new physical release by Funimation, and many older series are up on streaming platforms (some of them free).

Remakes don't sound like a good way to cash in on nostalgia, as many times the people who watched those series originally have grown up and aren't even watching anime anymore. They're more a way to cash in on old IP. Get new viewers to watch an adaptation of the source material. If I'm a fan of the original work I don't want to see a remake -- I want to see a sequel that continues where the first left off. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is an example of producers trying to please both camps.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I used to watch Corrector Yui in Cartoon Network latin-america, back when they had a special segment focused on anime called Talisman, which was similar Toonami, but CN LA broadcasted it during the afternoon, alongside series like Sakura Cardcaptor, Samurai X, Pokémon among others.
I actually watched Infinite Ryvius 3 years ago after reading about it on a magazine from the year 2000 I found in a used bookstore, it included a CD with some clips of the show (which doesn't sound very legal to me) with a commentary from the magazine's staff. I found the show pretty good, it had some great animation (I belive that cel animation was perfected in the late 90s), good use of CGI, and while the characters weren't always very likeable their interactions were interesting. I don't think it needs a remake, and I certainly don't think it would need a new soundtrack, the music had a mix of hip-hop that I find it very catchy and the opening -dis was excellent.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Even now there are news they want to reboot Pirates of the Caribbean without Captain Jack Sparrow.

So is Johnny Depp the new Jim Carrey in terms of "Remakes/Sequels to Jim Carrey Movies Which Don't Have Jim Carrey in them"? Jack Sparrow was the only reason people watched those movies beyond the second one. Laughing

I think it has more to do with Disney trying to cover their asses after Depp's domestic abuse allegations, which was also what hurt Crimes of Grindelwald's premiere more or less. Personally I was pretty pirated out after the third flick, maybe even the second.

Um, also something something anime related.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Crest/Banner of the Stars is one of my favorite series but I must confess the art/animation was never stellar so a remake would be godsent. Though, I fear this kind of old school space opera doesn't really have a lot of public nowadays so it would

I totally agree. Genre is not popular with majority of fandom in Japan that sill watches anime. I forgot how small the budgets are now for projects.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Creator Yui's the only one that caught my eye, but I wouldn't just say that the suit looks like Cardcaptor Sakura, one character (from what I'm glimpsing at a video of it) has a weapon that looks like Sailor Pluto's Garnet Rod.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
Hmm, there isn't anything from 1999 I'd want to see remade.... this is later, but I think they should do a remake of Kyo Kara Maou, because it would fit so well with the trends of today (It's a BL isekai harem). But they should do a remake and fix the pacing. I don't want to recommend just watching the old one because... the pacing...

This is going to be an unpopular response, but from a purely financial standpoint I would remake KKM as well as shows like Ghost 07 by removing the BL part, which ended up imo alienating a major audience for otherwise great shows. No 6 and Cluster Edge are more examples. I like KKM as it is, but had it been a straight harem it would have been so much popular, you had fantasy, fun characters, a decent story. Like I said I own all of the dvds but I have so many friends who were like, BL, nope moving on which is a shame. Same with the others mentioned, the BL is not intrinsically of any value to the show, and realistically speaking BL in generally is really niche, so taking a good sci fi show and throwing that in their probably end up with a net negative when you tabulate the BL fans you gain, versus the sci fi fans you lose due to the BL. This is just purely my opinion from a logistical standpoint, and completely different from the majority of yuri yaoi shows, where that relationship is the actual draw. Nobody is watching something like Maria watches over us or Strawberry panic if it was just literally played straight with a bunch of platonic relationships.

As far as Crest, I agree with a lot of the others on here, id rather see a continuation. Although one thing that always kind of bothered me is that there was an implied way to get around the aging thing between Jinto and Lafiel. There is a character in one of the shows who was human, and then genetically engineered to have a longer life. So given that technology, and given that the Abh are essentially part robotic with the ability to merge with the ships through the sensor "organ", I dont see how they dont have anti aging abilities with that kind of tech.

Id also like to see a remake of the RoLW ova, not tv show, but give it a full 12-24 ep, but keep the art style.

Also surprised someone else mentioned eden's bowy. I loved that show, but the last few episodes were a major wtf, and the ending was garbage.

And one last mention, Id like a remake of Captain taylor, and not that weird sequel of shorts.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

You heard it, folks, one of the all-time Universal monster classics led by the greatest horror actor of all time "isn't good."

For it's time yes but given the advancements that have been made in writing,acting, & special effects since it originally came out i.e. by today's standards ehhhh?

prime_pm wrote:

I think it has more to do with Disney trying to cover their asses after Depp's domestic abuse allegations, which was also what hurt Crimes of Grindelwald's premiere more or less.

Definitely less between the fact that Pirates movies were already starting to get stale by the 4th and the fact that Fantastic Beasts was not that much well regarded than it's sequel.

Oh and Depp's marketability has been decreasing for years even before the still not really proven somewhat hypocritical abuse allegations.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Id also like to see a remake of the RoLW ova, not tv show, but give it a full 12-24 ep, but keep the art style.

And one last mention, Id like a remake of Captain taylor, and not that weird sequel of shorts.

I wouldn't mind spending more time with the characters from the original RoLW OVA as well, but they'd definitely need to try to keep the original art style and detail

For Tylor I think I'd go with more content over a remake. I think it still holds up.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
How about Tsubasa? Bee Train's treatment to the series was scary. Still, Clamp would need a way to make the ending... more acceptable

Well, Eri Itoh is still singing with Yuki Kajiura, they should both be in any better completion of Tsubasa anime's music.
echen_taichi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 am Reply with quote
not remake but i want the continuation of the ff.
- Legend of Basara
- Gokudo
- Petshop of Horrors
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
that Dagashi Kashi vote

At some point recently, I think it was in a year end review thread, someone put forward a mini rant about the Dagashi Kashi episodes being too long. The poster was familiar with the series and figured that they only warranted 5-minute short episodes.

So, probably that guy. ...but I bet he watched every single episode anyways.[/code][/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5