• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyitshales

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
But, seeing how Theron said watching the latter series wasn't absolutely necessary to enjoy/understand the former

As someone who didn't watch Hand Shakers, I can confirm that they do a good enough job explaining the basic premise to where you don't need to have seen the first series to watch/enjoy W'Z.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:

Maybe there was a visual cue I missed but until I read your first impression I legit had no idea the narrative was non-linear to begin with so yes, I hadn't considered that yet. Considering the majority of the cast from the first episode doesn't even appear in the second, they could have afforded to be somewhat more overt with that.

I don't think you missed anything overt - the only real clues we get are the scenes with Echoes in each episode. The other thing to bear in mind is that this is an adaptation of a novel where each chapter is written in the first person from a different perspective, which could make it more of a challenge. (Both for adapting and viewing, possibly.) Not that the first novel does an amazing job of giving each character a distinct voice, but the multiple first person points of view feels like a major factor in how this show is being put together and may give viewers some more ground to stand on when figuring things out.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
^
Because of that, what I said before, and other factors, I think Boogiepop and Others is going to be the most intriguing series of the season to episode review. I'll definitely be reading week-to-week for whomever ends up doing it. (I'd love to do it myself, but it comes out on the same day as A Certain Magical Index III and that would make for a stress test I'd rather not take.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Boogiepop and Others was kind of interesting but I can see why they released the first two episodes together as the first episode on its own really went nowhere, while the second episode filled in the background we didn't see in the first.

The Price of Smiles did at first appear like it was going to be some lightweight adventure/romance show, but then the ending when we find out what's really going on at the border, the whole thing is a kind of Potemkin village to spare the royalty the facts, and there's some republican faction who want to ditch the monarchy, that piqued my interest some. Then there was that ending sequence, which threw uptight Joshua under a bus....

Morose Mononokean is more of that show that I liked, so that's good.

Oh. W'x. I thought I was going to get a migraine watching that show, but persevered because I had nothing better to do. My big mistake.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:
So will you guys be covering Saintia Sho too?

That's technically not part of the Winter 2019 season, so I'm assuming it won't be in the Preview Guide. Also, I don't know if we have anyone caught up enough on Saint Seiya to do something like that.

Aww well, I’m hoping you guys do a full series review after it’s done. Confused
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
No coverage of Bang Dream S2?

More Hand Shakers? To quote JoJo's, "OH MY GOD!"

Never saw the original Boogiepop, so I am curious about it.

Looking forward to more new shows.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend W'z to anyone but the most morbidly curious. That being said, I'll probably end up watching the whole cursed thing, because well, it's a sequel to Hand Shakers! It's like if Tommy Wiseau made a sequel to The Room

We’re all voting for this in the streaming reviews poll, right?
CaptainAvatar wrote:
No coverage of Bang Dream S2?

They need to get on this. I have so many thoughts.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
invalidname: We’re all voting for this in the streaming reviews poll, right?

Oh hell yes! My jaw honestly dropped open when I read W'z was a stealth sequel. I have no idea what GoHands is thinking, but goddamn if I'm not going to sit back and enjoy this runaway train.

The Price of Smiles seems to be promising.
loveliver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Sequel to Hand Shakers?
Why?

Okay. GoHands are a bunch of liars. I'm proud to say that I'm no longer supporting them.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:

The OP centered heavily on Touka so first I assumed it was her and Boogeypop's story, but then the episode rolls in and I guess it's Takeda? Oh nevermind, now it's all about Kirima Nagi. Reading now that it's actually non-linear storytelling and they're going for a more ensemble cast experience that makes

The first episode basically told the beginning,the middle and the end of the story from Keiji's (he's Boogiepop's BF/friend) point of view.

The rest of the episodes will flesh out the tale using multiple characters.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Boogiepop is interesting but I think I might wait to binge it at the end of the season As opposed to waiting week to week as I think I’ll enjoy it more that way.

Shield Hero premiered...that’s all I’ll say.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of the premieres yet, and I don't want to be spoiled for Boogiepop so quick question: does one have to be familiar with Boogiepop Phantom or the novels to understand the new show?

The Price of Smiles sounds like it might have potential. I wish the princess were a bit older if they're planning a romance (I also wish we can get more Yona anime---the description gave me some Yona vibes).
Cab329

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I haven't watched any of the premieres yet, and I don't want to be spoiled for Boogiepop so quick question: does one have to be familiar with Boogiepop Phantom or the novels to understand the new show?

The Price of Smiles sounds like it might have potential. I wish the princess were a bit older if they're planning a romance (I also wish we can get more Yona anime---the description gave me some Yona vibes).

You should be fine just let Boogiepop wash over you. It’s not something you need to know anything going into it.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

See i view this as a question to be answered with another question.

Do you want to enjoy the wild and bumpy ride or would you rather have the smoother experience ?

If you want it to be smooth and most of the mystery and intrigue removed for you then having familiarity with the novels and prior adaptation is a good thing.

If however you want that mystery to hit you in the face and while you're trying to unpack it then go in blind.

Both can be enjoyable.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:35 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

See i view this as a question to be answered with another question.
Do you want to enjoy the wild and bumpy ride or would you rather have the smoother experience ?
If you want it to be smooth and most of the mystery and intrigue removed for you then having familiarity with the novels and prior adaptation is a good thing.
If however you want that mystery to hit you in the face and while you're trying to unpack it then go in blind.
Both can be enjoyable.

Would say watching 2019's Boogiepop and Others first will better prepare folks intending to watch 2000's Boogiepop Phantoms.
One thing If I remember rightly,Boogiepop Phantoms is set one month after Boogiepop and Others.And really jumps right into the deeper end of the story's worldview(which I found to be akin to Kara no Kyōkai(sans origin)).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 42