• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Why wouldn't they have the rights to Kaban. She is as much a part of the show as Serval is. I haven't heard anyone mention that Kaban wasn't part of Kemono Friends franchise.
It was a rumor that was going around several months ago and supposedly Kadokawa wasn't able to buy the rights to Kaban which was an anime original character that was created by the original production studio. This rumor was going around even before Kyururu was announced and after watching the first episode the rumor seems even more likely. It would explain why the second season was a soft reboot and why they couldn't show Kaban in the flashback and instead used a vague silhouette.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I suspect many people are just going to have a tough time divorcing it from the controversy, but I think it is better to remember that people like the new director did not do anything wrong.

It sounds like you think I don't like it because I'm a Team Tatsuki fangirl or something. I'm not (had to look up his name, and I have no idea who the new director is). I'm not blaming the director for not being Tatsuki, but I am feeling like they're in the bad position of being given a job without sufficient understanding of what they've been tasked to recreate.

It's similar to Free! getting a new director after the first two seasons. They did an okay job, but it still felt like they lacked the sensibilities of the original director, and seemed to be more about milking the cash cow than recapturing the cheeky spirit of her work (by the time they got to Dive to the Future they were just phoning it in and checking off boxes). It's just really hard to replicate someone else's vision and attitudes, especially if it's just to squeeze some more yen out of a hot property.

Obviously new directors aren't always a problem, if they truly have their own vision and passion for the project (see Devilman crybaby, e.g.). I'm just not feeling that with KF2 yet.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
Watched the Magnificent Kotobuki, and wow it was really great looking (outside of the awkward cg animation of character models - turning heads and whatnot in the bar scene) but the aerial visuals more than made up for those shortcuts. Brought to mind playing the old flight simulators on the PC (like Flight of the Intruder and Microsoft flight sims) and lack of simulators on the PS vita and PS4 - the Kotobuki anime really gives the feeling of flying, The show reminded me a little of the old TV series Baa Baa Black Sheep but with an all girl cast - hopefully it will live up to its promise - the trials and tribulations of a flight squadron. Kemono Friends was really good too, definitely an improvement in the animation department although a step backwards in the OP/ED songs - the first season ones were fantastic.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Toji no Miko was my favorite show from 2018 - it came down to it and Planet With, and in the end, it turns out I just simply enjoyed the Katana Maidens more - and while Mini Toji is a very different show than its predecessor, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Hopefully, it does well enough that we'll eventually see another coeur or two of the main series.

I never watched the previous season of Kemono Friends, so i don't have anything to compare the new show to, but the first episode seemed pleasant enough. The characters are hella precocious, though.

ENDRO was a big surprise for me, and I probably wouldn't have checked it out if it hadn't been for Nick's Kate Hoshimiya comparisons (I wish Zvezda Plot had gotten a second season). I'm going to give it another couple of episodes to see what kind of show it ends up being, as it seems like it has the potential to be rather same-y.
zenbud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, on the whole, it feels like Kemono Friends 2 lacks the vision to match or improve on its predecessor. “Let's just repeat the story and hope they like it again” feels characteristic of all of Kadokawa's decisions regarding this property, and with TATSUKI himself directing Kemurikusa this season, there's no need to settle for the ghost of an old friend. I loved Kemono Friends, and I'm happy to let it rest in peace.

Can't wait to see Kemurikusa bombing and Kemono Friends 2 selling much more than it as the majority of Japanese fans don't care about this whole debate.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
After those... interesting reviews of "Virtualsan - Looking" (James has my new favorite un-rating), I had no choice but to see what sort of nonsense it actually is. Overall, it's funny, but the humor comes at the expense of your faith in humanity. The problem isn't the so-bad-it's-good-ness (its main positive quality), but the opening scene, where the girls parade in while the narrator (a horse-head guy, because internet) points out their otaku-fetish points. Which kinda hits you in the face with the real purpose of this show, and "Virtual Youtubers" in general. Taken by themselves, many of the sketches would make decent youtube-poop viral video vines or whatever, but cramming all of them together and trying to sell the whole thing as a Real Anime for Actual Television is a bit much.

zenbud wrote:
Can't wait to see Kemurikusa bombing and Kemono Friends 2 selling much more than it as the majority of Japanese fans don't care about this whole debate.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time the majority of Japanese fans supposedly didn't care about something, I could buy up all of Aniplex's stock. Speaking of stock, Kadokawa's stock prices dropped significantly when they fired the director, so I'm pretty sure Japanese fans care about this to some degree. Whether Kemurikusa will be popular is another matter, though.
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Virtual san Looking -Too much look at me! aren't I funny! Disney's Fireball Humorous seemed funnier to me and it wasn't exactly comic genius, though it's cgi was far superior to this
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:33 am Reply with quote
Virtual-San Looking is only worth it if you're a die-hard VTuber fan.

The only good part of that show was the fan mail segment. At least that was charming enough in the sense that viewers can e-mail their favourite VTubers and get their questions answered in the episode.

And I still can't believe Kaguya Luna isn't in this show. Crying or Very sad
echen_taichi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
my rating on first episode
Promised Neverland - 4.5/5
Boogiepop and others - 3/5
Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka - 4/5
Dororo - 4.5/5
Domestic Girlfriend - 3/5
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that it is right to attack reviewers for their opinions, but think that Nick's reaction to the first episode of Kemono Friends 2 shows that he is thinking impartial about the whole thing. It reads so much like he is salty over the controversy, that he is putting a label on rather than actually looking at what it is. Saying that it is like the charm of the first season killed and stuffed, saying that events of the first season are entirely forgotten, despite the premise still making mention to it.

Just because the first season ended with a certain level of optimism, doesn't mean this season has to begin with the exact same thing. And just because there is a similarity, does not mean it is walking down the exact same road. The Friends have already put on a title of perhaps being a human on the new child, that would be a build off of the first where it took a good while for them to find out that humans were a thing. And chances are that the new person will not be the same as Kaban, there are strange details like different coloured irises and that they seem to have some memory of what the park used to be like.

It is not like Kemurikusa blew everyone away with its first episode, and neither did the first episodes of the first season. I think that it is presumptuous to assume that Kemono Friends is now some sort of ghost, just so quickly. Chances are there that people will make the same mistake they did with the first, and it will be out of hate, which I don't think is in the spirit that people liked of the first season. A little disappointed that the anime fanbase as a whole has to act like this.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Considering what was done to the original production staff, I think fans of the original are justified and have the right to be a little bit peeved because of what has been done. Does that hold a brighter candle to the second season, yes.

If Kemono Friends 2 is good, people will like it, despite it's history.

I am hoping that KF2 is not a thematic remake of the first season. Too early to tell now.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Checked out another set of the new shows.

Loved the premiere of Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka. Was really looking forward to this one too, having gotten the first couple of manga volumes over the holidays, so I'm glad it's gotten a strong start.

Also, very much looking forward to more of The Magnificent Kotobuki to see if it can keep it up and also add to the characters, as mentioned in the previews. Very good first episode action.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't think that it is right to attack reviewers for their opinions, but think that Nick's reaction to the first episode of Kemono Friends 2 shows that he is thinking impartial about the whole thing.

Did you mean "he is not thinking impartial(ly)"?

Quote:
Saying that it is like the charm of the first season killed and stuffed, saying that events of the first season are entirely forgotten, despite the premise still making mention to it.

I thought his analogy was spot on there (the new eyes lack the warmth of the previous designs and might as well be glass buttons), but I think you misunderstood the second part. He said it was "literally forgotten," and was referring to the fact that Serval has forgotten Kaban, recalling only a hazy silhouette and a vague emotion. That was really disappointing, as I'd hoped they'd at least mention how their voyage turned out and move on from there. Instead it just got amnesia-ed away.

Quote:
Chances are there that people will make the same mistake they did with the first, and it will be out of hate, which I don't think is in the spirit that people liked of the first season. A little disappointed that the anime fanbase as a whole has to act like this. (emphasis added)

I don't know why you're so set on accusing anyone who's been critical of the new season of being hateful. The reasons we've stated for not being sold on it are ones you'd find perfectly valid if they were given for another series. Kemono Friends is not a sacred cow that can't be criticized, it's just another in a very long line of sequels that failed to (or look like they're not going to) live up to the standards set in their first seasons. You don't need to hate it, or be in a petty snit over the behind the scenes dustup, to think that it just lacks the charm of its predecessor, and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop assigning motives to us that fit your narrative of the little anime that was never given a chance by the big meanies.
Tyler Bregg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
Promised neverland - The anime adaptation captured what I loved about the manga perfectly and the expressiveness of the kids plus the soundtrack will probably make it surpass the manga.

Rising Shield Hero - I read the manga for this long before it came out because I loved having a cynical main character who doesn't take shit from anyone and I wanted to see the ***** get put in her place. When I read it I thought nothing of the false rape accusation and was unbelievably surprised at some of the backlash and people questioning the authors views on women since the author's a woman do your homework Kevin.

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai -Similarly to shield hero I was reading the manga, it's a hilarious self aware romantic comedy that makes fun of all of the tropes present in it's genre, it's kinda like how one punch man makes fun of superheroes and over powered protagonists.

that's my current watch list gonna check out more of the anime season though maybe I'll find more things I like.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
Just putting this out there for some folks.

Boogiepop Phantom tells a anime original story and uses alternate versions of several characters.Would not recommend jumping it first,better off watching this season- hopefully they'll be adapting Boogiepop Dawn.

Boogiepop and Others is adapting the LN series.At this point the first three episodes covered volume 1,episode 4 jumped right into volume 2...

Leaves me wondering how this anime intends to unfold. There' non-linear story telling and then there's just jumping between different/separate arcs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 42