• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Domestic Girlfriend Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE

I am sure that Sentai would love to license big hit, money makers like My Hero Academia, but they are not as wealthy as Funimaton and Crunchyroll.

But even with their recent struggles Sentai has managed to license quality shows. In 2016 they licensed Flying Witch and Flip Flappers; in 2017 Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, Land of the Lustrous and Girls' Last Tour; in 2018 Tada Never Falls in Love, Revue Starlight, Scum's Wish and Bloom Into You.

Made in Aybss is the only somewhat genuinely quality show from the slew of titles you mentioned and even then Made in Aybss is a flawed product that doesn't really get interesting until its last few episodes. The rest of titles are decent fare at best certainly not compelling enough for me to want to re-watch and buy on a physical format. Sentai has picked up plenty of solid shows over the years but in the last couple of years their track record has been very inconsistent with actually picking up quality based anime titles. Sentai has always catered to the more niche titles but the niche titles they're investing into of late are unremarkable and plagued with mediocrity. I feel it has less to do with how much money Sentai has to actually spend on quality shows versus making poor decisions on what to spend their money on when it comes to licensing anime.I honestly don't see the status quo improving for them when they continue to invest in less then appealing content for anime and their dubbing productions.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Made in Aybss is the only somewhat genuinely quality show from the slew of titles you mentioned

Geez, you are hard to please. If you don't consider the titles I mentioned of high quality, your standards are way, way too high. I consider Made in Abyss among the top 5 anime shows in quality that Sentai has ever licensed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:00 am Reply with quote
To each their own. Domestic Girlfriend was one of the shows that got my interest so I'll certainly try it out.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Made in Aybss is the only somewhat genuinely quality show from the slew of titles you mentioned

Geez, you are hard to please. If you don't consider the titles I mentioned of high quality, your standards are way, way too high. I consider Made in Abyss among the top 5 anime shows in quality that Sentai has ever licensed.

That's an odd to thing to say simply because I didn't find Made in Abyss and the other titles compelling enough somehow my standards are to high? That's fine to hear that the show appealed to you on such a high level. I liked aspects of Made in Aybss just didn't blow me away. There is such a concept has people having different tastes in entertainment that's what makes the world go round.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote

That's an odd to thing to say simply because I didn't find Made in Abyss and the other titles compelling enough somehow my standards are to high? That's fine to hear that the show appealed to you on such a high level. I liked aspects of Made in Aybss just didn't blow me away. There is such a concept has people having different tastes in entertainment that's what makes the world go round.

Yes, everyone has different tastes. You should probably keep that in mind as well, when making blanket statements about the quality of anime being licensed. Wink
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Wow, Sentai is doing great this season. If I am counting right they have 9 titles already. None of them seem particularly outstanding, but hopefully a couple of them become minor hits.

I was noticing the same thing. I don't think there is anything that they've announced that was necessarily something I was anticipating, but the number of titles so far is noteworthy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2