• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Wins Golden Globe Animated Film Award Over Mirai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcmc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am Reply with quote
Daisylock wrote:
All the people praising the animation. Really? It looks terrible. It looks like they cut out half the frames and looks like a game stuttering on your PC. Traditional animation just seems to get snubbed in America these days in favor of CGI, especially Japanese films. It bums me out

not just the animation,its the art direction of it
,i think this one movie thats really capture the comic book feels experience of it fully.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:19 am Reply with quote
dcmc wrote:
Daisylock wrote:
All the people praising the animation. Really? It looks terrible. It looks like they cut out half the frames and looks like a game stuttering on your PC. Traditional animation just seems to get snubbed in America these days in favor of CGI, especially Japanese films. It bums me out

not just the animation,its the art direction of it
,i think this one movie thats really capture the comic book feels experience of it fully.

They can STILL do a film without shaky cam OR this stuttering animated effect.
That's part of why I DIDN'T watch it.
I don't want to watch a videogame -- I'll PLAY those, thank you very much!

I didn't like that effect in the trailer AND it looked cheap to me.
I stayed away from the film partly because of that and the racist attitudes of the co-director of the movie.

Can I have an opinion that's different from yours, or is this going be another forum where you guys gang up on people for NOT conforming to group think?

I'm in agreement with Daisylock on the "artistic choices' of Spider-Verse and frankly I'm tired of Spider-Man, too.
I don't see many superhero films because I think they've done them to death now and they're very shallow movies with the same structure again and again. The humor's also very canned and it's not my thing.
We all spend time and money on things and it's okay to skip things if it feels like 20 other films that already did the same type of story, that you saw already.
There's that and I'm NOT a fan of seeing a film with 20-million versions of basically the same character.
They have enough redundant characters in comics as it. The Green Lantern Corps works for that character; they don't have to corps of duplicate character for every popular character out there...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Can I have an opinion that's different from yours, or is this going be another forum where you guys gang up on people for NOT conforming to group think

Well, maybe next time don't make your first post feel like you're implying people don't actually hold the opinions they have ("all the people praising the animation. Really?"), it's something I've noticed increasing in usage recently and I find it beyond frustrating. "You only liked Force Awakens because it's a new SW movie, you'll hate it in a few years like how everyone did with Episode 1". "You only liked The Last Jedi because you like anything Disney throws at you." "You only liked Black Panther because you're pro-diversity". And so on and so forth. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but I would hope you can realize your first post could have been worded better. Obviously these people did enjoy the animation, they're not deluded or something, so there's zero reason to ask "really?" in terms of their enjoyment of it.

Also, unless I misunderstood, you didn't watch the movie. You can say you think the film may not look appealing but also acknowledge you didn't actually watch it. You don't have to watch it but understand you can't provide a full critique of something until you actually give it a shot.

And considering this is an anime website, and we know that generally anime utilizes less frames per second in their animation (but balance it out by focusing on detail in the artwork) than that found in western animation and some other countries, I would think you could understand how the lower frame rate wouldn't necessarily bother a lot of people on this site.

I saw 37 films last year, and Spider-verse is my favorite of all of them (for an idea on my tastes, my #10 up to #1 were in that order Deadpool 2, Widows, Black Panther, Halloween, Annihilation, Mission Impossible 6, Hereditary, Avengers IW, Bad Times at the El Royale, and Spider-verse). I think superhero films are actually getting very good at changing up their story structures (BP is a action/sci-fi tech film set primarily in Africa, Avengers IW is a sci-fi epic, Deadpool 2 is a action-comedy involving time travel, and Spider-verse is an animated multi-verse story) and I see plenty of other types of films so I don't care for when people (not referring to you) imply comic movies is all we watch (like when Honest Trailers said the only people who had Logan as their favorite 2017 movie only watched comic films).
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
Going off topic but it sounded like Scarlett Johansson yelled I'm Sorry from the crowd during the white washing joke/commentary when Ghost in the Shell was mentioned.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Night is Short and Lu Over the Wall were actually 2017 movies, we just didn't really get them here until this year. If they were 2018 movies I would demand Night is Short win every award, but eh, no complaints here, Spiderverse looks more interesting than the Miyazaki-likes.

They released in Japan in 2017 but they were released for award eligibility in 2018. Both Yuasa movies were submitted by their western distributor (GKIDS) for the Golden Globes and Academy Awards for the 2018 year.

It's fine though, Spider-verse deserves it's recognition. It was a really well animated movie. I would absolutely give it props over Mirai.

It would take some soul searching to determine if it deserves an award over Night is Short, but I guess that doesn't matter unless it ends up in the Academy Awards nomination pool (it won't, but a guy can dream).

Last edited by Animegunclub on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:

Going off topic but it sounded like Scarlett Johansson yelled I'm Sorry from the crowd during the white washing joke/commentary when Ghost in the Shell was mentioned.

That was Emma Stone:

"Emma Stone shouted "I'm sorry" after Aloha joke during Golden Globes monologue"

Quote:
During Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh’s delightful Golden Globes monologue... the pair joked that Crazy Rich Asians was the first studio film with an Asian-American lead since Ghost In The Shell and Aloha—a nod to the fact that both of those films actually had white women playing Asian characters.

Emma Stone, who played Allison Ng in Aloha (a character who was written as part Chinese and part Hawaiian), happened to be in the audience at the Globes, and she took the shoutout as an opportunity to address the controversy for the first time in years by shouting “I’m sorry” loud enough to be heard on TV.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
Simply put, ItSV deserved the award. I saw it, I loved it, and I'm glad it won.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
I need to get around to seeing Into the Spider-Verse at some point soon.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
although honestly I'm just kinda glad to see a non-Disney movie get the win.

This is barely a non-Disney movie winning considering Spider-man is Marvel and Disney owns 100% of Marvel. Alternatively, you could look at it with spite and say the only time a "non-Disney" movie wins is when someone licenses a Disney property and makes a movie with it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
Daisylock wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Because something tells me you don’t actually know what animation means. You criticise them for supposedly hating 2D animation on principle, yet here you are being all judgemental about CG animation because of a stylistic choice that has nothing to do with actual quality of animation.

Hey, thanks for the condescending post. Stylistic choice is not a shield from criticism. Netflix's The Dragon Prince and Knights Of Sidonia also do that kind of "cutting out half the frames" thing so I don't think it's a style choice so much as a cost-cutting technique since none of the big studios ever do anything like that.

It's called frame modulation and it's something that they did in the first place to pay homage to anime, which has been using frame modulation since the beginning of its existence, and which has more or less become an inherent part of its aesthetic. Animators on staff said they were influenced by work like Land of the Lustrous on the 3D front, and a number of 2D anime as well. It's not a cost cutting measure, in fact, it generally costs exactly the same, if not more, to deliberately cut frames out of your consistently rendered 3D animation. They did it because they like anime and thought the aesthetic was cool, on the production side. On the corporate side, of course, they apparently had different motivations considering Sony's attempt to patent the method.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
Well deserved. I would recommend everyone who even don't usually like Marvel or superhero movies to watch Into the Spider-Verse. My friends who watched the movie with me don't like the MCU and they are very prejudiced when it comes to this genre and its trope, still even they had a lot of fun with this movie and love the characters.

But I admit it, I just took the we(e)b bait when I saw Peni. Didn't expect that they managed to tell a very well-balanced and emotional Origin story revolving Miles while having a strong ensemble of other fan favorites.

For those who already saw the movie and are intested in screenplay stuff: Sony publicized the script of the Spider-Verse movie for promotionial purposes.
http://origin-flash.sonypictures.com/ist/awards_screenplays/SV_screenplay.pdf
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
although honestly I'm just kinda glad to see a non-Disney movie get the win.

This is barely a non-Disney movie winning considering Spider-man is Marvel and Disney owns 100% of Marvel. Alternatively, you could look at it with spite and say the only time a "non-Disney" movie wins is when someone licenses a Disney property and makes a movie with it.

Disney owns Marvel, but Sony still has the rights to Spider-Man, and this movie was wholly animated by Sony Pictures Animation. It is the first Sony animated movie to win a Golden Globe: https://www.inverse.com/article/52258-spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-wins-best-animated-feature-at-the-golden-globes
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I’m one of the few people who couldn’t get into that Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse movie. To me it was just meh.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Daisylock wrote:

You can't be serious . This wasn't just the best animated movie, this was easily one of the best movies of 2018. If Sony gets robbed by Pixar, it will be clear that there's something funny going on.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
People are in here complaining about the animation (which I agree is kinda distracting) but I was face-palming that they used the horrendous Sienkiewicz design for the Kingpin. He was literally a giant blob with a teeny tiny small head. Laughing Never been a fan of Sienkiewicz's art in the comics. Way too abstract and unintentionally funny. Which is a shame cause he can draw pretty good if he's doing life-like stuf like Alex Ross does.

I'm sure if they could have made a hand drawn movie they would have, if the goal was to mimic a comic book look, but they can't. So doing the whole "CGI that looks kinda like 2D" is the closest studios can ever do these days. Or it's done in Flash/Toon Boom like the Teen Titans Go movie.

Thaumana wrote:
My friends who watched the movie with me don't like the MCU and they are very prejudiced when it comes to this genre and its trope, still even they had a lot of fun with this movie and love the characters.

To be fair the MCU stuff is really, really, paint-by-the numbers and formulamatic. Sony and Fox do things different with their Marvel movies, for better or worse. I mean, I liked Spiderverse better than Homecoming, but that's not really a hard feat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5