• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Wins Golden Globe Animated Film Award Over Mirai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Anime just never wins.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I just had issues with its plot and characters. Miles and Peter Parker (2.0?) are the two main characters, so they get the most characterization and development, with Spider-Gwen coming in at a close third, but I was hoping to learn more about the other spider characters without it feeling like a "go read the comics" situation. It failed to deliver on that front, making me feel very empty toward the character I was most hyped about in the trailers--Peni Parker.

Since Sony is literally trying to scrape together a "studio superhero universe" out of whatever bits of Spider-canon haven't been sold back to Marvel, they wanted to make a Miles Morales movie, found out about Spider-Gwen, and...then things sort of spun out of control.

There are so many "re-imaginings", spinoff-titles and reboots of Peter Parker's backstory in the print comics alone, I haven't kept up with the 00's-10's plot lines--I knew about the "Richard Parker's secret conspiracy!" canon that was used in Sony's "Amazing SM" movies, but I only found out about the "Peter and MJ's breakup" canon from the recent Playstation game, and about "Spider-Noir" from the Lego Marvel game.
(And all I know about Spider-Gwen comes from the Marvel Puzzle Quest app-game.)

Quote:
Plot-wise, it felt too inconsistently paced. Peter Parker 1.0 was too quick to want to spoiler[jump into Miles' life without knowing him], Miles learning to use his powers in that one scene was cool, but he spoiler[got too good at it too quickly considering how long he spent failing beforehand], and spoiler[Dr. Octavius was a nice twist, but the writers seemed to have forgotten that she already knew there was an "invisible friend" somewhere by in the final climax scene when Miles jumped in, surprised her, and kept confusing her when he manipulated her arms...]

Honestly, I just feel kinda bad that I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to, considering it was still a great film and looked amazing. I still hope it wins something and gets recognition it deserves. I'll gladly watch its sequel.

Like DC Animation is usually better than those Warner/DC atrocities, for sticking to the spirit and talent of the print comics, it's a better "Marvel 101" movie for introducing what the fans read, than trying to homogenize it into a mainstream context like most of the pre-Disney movies did, eg. the Sam Raimi movie--I'll give the movie points for giving us the real Wilson Fisk print-comic version of the Kingpin, not that brooding mess from the Netflix series.
I'm not even sure whether there is a Ms. Ock in the current 21st-century print-Marvel, but I just went with it anyway. Like Fox's less-successful X-Men sequels, the non-Disney studios tend to over-compensate by being "Current", and playing up to all the obscure lesser-known new heroes they pick up and read in the comics that week (does anyone know half the new characters from "X-Men: Wolverine" or "First Class"??), rather than isolate which are "the" canonical characters for posterity. Although somehow I still can't help feeling that Sony made Post-Breakup Peter an obnoxious jerk deliberately, to get back at that mean Marvel Studios that wouldn't let them on the playground. Confused

But I agree, if there's a sequel (and hopefully if the easily-distracted, self-goofing Lego Movie/Cloudy-Meatballs writers have moved on), I'd be willing to give it a shot.
jree78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Spider-Man was very good so I have no problem with this outcome.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
ghibli hasn't won a thing since 2002, idk why people always get their hopes up. i wonder if spidey will win against pixar at the oscars, if it's nominated.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Anime just never wins.

And they're not going to until they go back to exploring other genre's. The last anime movie I cared about was Princess Mononoke. Movies after that have been somewhat interesting but nowhere near the global mass appeal needed to win awards.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Mistaken wrote:
ghibli hasn't won a thing since 2002

Ie., the year most people just found out about anime via Spirited Away, since it was the perfect mix of plot and culture as opposed to the too-Japanese Princess Mononoke, and the too-messy Howl's Moving Castle.

Quote:
idk why people always get their hopes up. i wonder if spidey will win against pixar at the oscars, if it's nominated.

Considering that some Oscar voters openly admitted that they didn't have the time or inclination to go screen all five "kiddy" Best Animated nominees, and screened/voted for Pixar's wretchedly obnoxious "Brave" over "Wreck-It Ralph" in '13 on blind studio reputation alone, it would be appropriate justice if "Ralph Breaks the Internet" had enough mainstream/box-office exposure to lure mainstream voters in over the reputation-heavy but jawdroppingly underwhelming "Incredibles 2".

Spider-verse has the advantage of being both the "Third-party" nominee that DreamWorks used to be at the Oscars when they still bought their own nominations, and the visually-imaginative "Art" nominee that the professional animators want to see recognized on unique style even if it doesn't have a prayer against the WDFA-Pixar one-two, so we can assume it has a reserved spot.
Won't win, but again, at least it'll spark a few more rentals.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

I just had issues with its plot and characters. Miles and Peter Parker (2.0?) are the two main characters, so they get the most characterization and development, with Spider-Gwen coming in at a close third, but I was hoping to learn more about the other spider characters without it feeling like a "go read the comics" situation. It failed to deliver on that front, making me feel very empty toward the character I was most hyped about in the trailers--Peni Parker.

To be entirely fair, Peni Parker only has 2 comic issues to herself; Edge of Spider-Verse 5 and Edge of Spider-Geddon 2, the latter of which just released in August and did not exist while the movie was being made leaving you really only the one issue.
Either way, Both serve as lead-ins to their respective crossover events so what they tell you about her in the movie is pretty much everything.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I am surprised very many people liked Mirai at all, honestly. I don't think it was a very good movie..

Speaking for myself what I liked about Mirai was how the family was portray. It felt realistic enough that I am sure parents watching the film could relate to the struggles of raising children and maintaining a relationship. I also thought they did a good job with Kun as a protagonist as I can imagine it must have been difficult to portray a 4 year old child as authentically as possible without falling into the problems with writing children. For these reasons I consider Mirai to be an actual family film that would be great to share with family. Another thing I like about the film was it's creative use of animation (especially with how they use CG animation in that one scene) and its surreal story telling.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Concerning Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse winning best animation of the year from The Golden Globes, I am okay with this. While a part of me would have like for Mirai to have won, the majority of me is fine with this decision. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse was an excellent movie with stylish, creative animation and an engaging story so it deserve being recognize as the best animated film of 2018. However for me I do not have a preference for which film I prefer over the other as I never thought to compare Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse and Mirai, so they are both equal in terms of quality to me.

I am not so familiar with The Golden Globes to know how they go about deciding which film would win a specific award, but I would hope that the films were judge by their own merits instead of base on what studio was behind them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ryasha wrote:

To be entirely fair, Peni Parker only has 2 comic issues to herself; Edge of Spider-Verse 5 and Edge of Spider-Geddon 2, the latter of which just released in August and did not exist while the movie was being made leaving you really only the one issue.
Either way, Both serve as lead-ins to their respective crossover events so what they tell you about her in the movie is pretty much everything.

On one end, that's fair. I don't know the rules of story-creating in Marvel's comics, so it's possible that the movie writers may be barred from creating something too deep before the comics do anything significant with her (out of curiosity, before the film, I did end up reading Edge of Spider-Verse's chapters with her and a few stray chapters somewhat involving her in other issues).
On the other, the "My name is..." narration joke when all the spider characters show up and quickly check off their background makes it harder to feel attached to them throughout the film,. None of that background stuff contributes to their character much, or at all. spoiler[I feel like they intended to invite a tear-jerking moment when Peni's spider mech is destroyed, but despite the brief context, I felt like I had no emotional investment in her background to pay off at that moment. I understand her late father made the robot, but from what I understand, there are still others, and her spider that pilots it is still alive. It was an "I get it" moment, but not an "I feel it" moment.] It doesn't take much to make someone as sensitive as myself to cry, so it becomes that much more obvious to me when I can tell a story is trying to grab my heartstrings and failing.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Mirai so I can't not say that it deserves the award or not, but I'm waiing to see Into the Spider-Verse when it arrives in my country two days from now alongside Dragon Ball Super: Broly.
I've been trying to avoid spoilers regarding Spider-Verse but I heard that the overall reception was mainly positive, so I hope it wins the Oscar this year. I do not believe that the Academy has a bias towards Disney/Pixar, with the exception the year Brave won, even though in my opinion Paranorman and Disney's own Wreck it Ralph were better in my opinion, also I enjoyed Frozen a bit more than The Wind Rises, but Big Hero 6 and Dragons 2 (while good movies in their own) were not as good as The LEGO Movie.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get to see "Mirai," but "Into the Spider-Verse" was a fantastic movie that completely blew me away. The animation, humor, and story were great. It was like watching a really colorful comic book. It definitely deserved the award and I hope it goes on to win more. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Daisylock wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Because something tells me you don’t actually know what animation means. You criticise them for supposedly hating 2D animation on principle, yet here you are being all judgemental about CG animation because of a stylistic choice that has nothing to do with actual quality of animation.

Hey, thanks for the condescending post. Stylistic choice is not a shield from criticism. Netflix's The Dragon Prince and Knights Of Sidonia also do that kind of "cutting out half the frames" thing so I don't think it's a style choice so much as a cost-cutting technique since none of the big studios ever do anything like that.

I do agree with you on the style choice of these. However Dragon Prince was animated by a studio in my province and I have friends that worked on it. The animation is 100% a style choice it was to mimic anime. To do that, it was done on 2s. I was also not a fan of what they did. Sidonia is an example of an studio not getting that CG to anime look quite right. The best I have seen is Land of the Lustrous.
Daisylock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's called frame modulation and it's something that they did in the first place to pay homage to anime, which has been using frame modulation since the beginning of its existence, and which has more or less become an inherent part of its aesthetic. Animators on staff said they were influenced by work like Land of the Lustrous on the 3D front, and a number of 2D anime as well. It's not a cost cutting measure, in fact, it generally costs exactly the same, if not more, to deliberately cut frames out of your consistently rendered 3D animation. They did it because they like anime and thought the aesthetic was cool, on the production side. On the corporate side, of course, they apparently had different motivations considering Sony's attempt to patent the method.

I guess that explains things, but I didn't watch Land of the Lustrous because the CG was such a turn off, but now I see the similarities. But wouldn't it make more sense to copy more popular anime. If you were trying to cash in on the anime demographic for a superhero movie wouldn't you do something that looks like My Hero Academia?

grooven wrote:
I do agree with you on the style choice of these. However Dragon Prince was animated by a studio in my province and I have friends that worked on it. The animation is 100% a style choice it was to mimic anime. To do that, it was done on 2s. I was also not a fan of what they did. Sidonia is an example of an studio not getting that CG to anime look quite right. The best I have seen is Land of the Lustrous.

Maybe I'm just old LOL. I grew up on 2D anime, so maybe copying CG anime a thing now. I just can't stand most CG anime like Sidonia, Lustrous, Kemomo Friends, or Berserk. It looks so janky, and western studios copying that style seems like a really weird choice. It makes me kind of miss the old Teen Titans and Totally Spies days.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Daisylock wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
It's called frame modulation and it's something that they did in the first place to pay homage to anime, which has been using frame modulation since the beginning of its existence, and which has more or less become an inherent part of its aesthetic. Animators on staff said they were influenced by work like Land of the Lustrous on the 3D front, and a number of 2D anime as well. It's not a cost cutting measure, in fact, it generally costs exactly the same, if not more, to deliberately cut frames out of your consistently rendered 3D animation. They did it because they like anime and thought the aesthetic was cool, on the production side. On the corporate side, of course, they apparently had different motivations considering Sony's attempt to patent the method.

I guess that explains things, but I didn't watch Land of the Lustrous because the CG was such a turn off, but now I see the similarities. But wouldn't it make more sense to copy more popular anime. If you were trying to cash in on the anime demographic for a superhero movie wouldn't you do something that looks like My Hero Academia?

Because they wanted too?

This isn't about cashing in or money or popularity. This is about passionate animators being inspired by others who succeeded in the craft they are working on and deciding to homage them in act of tribute and respect.

And even then a homage doesn't have to be stuck on only popular shows, lesser known shows can be payed tribute all the same. If they wanted to homage Lustrous then they wanted to homage Lustrous, simple as that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Daisylock wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

There is much to be said about execution, and maybe it just doesn't bother you in My Hero Academia, but there is just as much frame modulation in MHA as any other show. It's one of the reasons the show is able to have the highlights that it does. While it doesn't cost less to cut frames in CG and actually takes more time, in 2D animation, and the reason anime shifted to doing it in the first place, IS because of the cost and time it would take to fully animate something like Disney and other western companies did in the early days.
Anyway, it's quite probable that some on staff are big fans of MHA and were influenced by it as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5