• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Wins Golden Globe Animated Film Award Over Mirai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Disney or Pixar didn't win because I can't stand those two. I hope for the Oscars, Night is Short Walk on Girl gets nominated and wins.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Once again anime misses out because it's not western.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
EducatedRuffian wrote:

As much as I like to mock award shows for how tone deaf they can be, no, the right movie won on technical merit alone.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
EducatedRuffian wrote:

As much as I like to mock award shows for how tone deaf they can be, no, the right movie won on technical merit alone.

I've been on the other side of this too many times to count, so I can relate to the feeling of resentment when good anime doesn't win, but it does feel like a lot of the backlash here is just as close-minded as the other side. Anime isn't inherently better. Sometimes western animation is also good. Spiderman was fantastic and deserved to win this time.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Look I don't have anything against Spiderman, but spiderman is a popcorn flick, and it beating Mirai, would be like Black Panther beating Green Book or star is born in the best film category. Spiderman isnt a bad moive, its a good popular movie, but its not an award "caliber" movie. It falls into that trashy good category not the artistically good category.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:12 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Look I don't have anything against Spiderman, but spiderman is a popcorn flick, and it beating Mirai, would be like Black Panther beating Green Book or star is born in the best film category. Spiderman isnt a bad moive, its a good popular movie, but its not an award "caliber" movie. It falls into that trashy good category not the artistically good category.

Black Panther has a better understanding of racial issues than Green Book, which is winning based on the idea that it does a “good job” of that, so you might want to find a different example
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

You're really framing your opinion like one hell of a fact. And I think a lot of people would disagree with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Spiderman is not just a popcorn flick to me(and I think a lot of people would say Black Panther isn't just that either, including myself). And it is absolutely artistically good. Regardless of what you meant by that. It's the most f*cking artistic thing I've seen outside of Mob Psycho and Space Dandy in the last 10 years.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Spider-verse count in Visually Artistic category. As much as I like Hosoda, visual wise Mirai is... exactly what do you expect from an anime movie with competent staff. It is solid all around good movie, but visually it didn't try anything particularly "New" or "different". While Spider-verse explored various styles and try to incorporate the advantages of 3D and 2D while didn't fall into the same pit as The Dragon Prince or Polygon Pictures (Knights of Sidonia).
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Black Panther has a better understanding of racial issues than Green Book, which is winning based on the idea that it does a “good job” of that, so you might want to find a different example

I would find it really ironic if Black Panther is the movie people rally behind considering it's set in a fictional nation where people fight over a magic metal and the character was created by two white people If it is, then I can only assume it's because Black Panther was actually popular and did well at the box office, unlike most movies that actual focus on actual American racial issues like Green Book or Moonlight.

relyat08 wrote:
And it is absolutely artistically good. Regardless of what you meant by that. It's the most f*cking artistic thing I've seen outside of Mob Psycho and Space Dandy in the last 10 years.

A movie drawn entirely in stick figures would be "artistic" Artistic doesn't mean good Laughing I would personally prefer the more "traditionally good" art style over an "experimental-but-kinda-ugly" art style.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I present every Oscar judge ever.

Mirai did not move the medium forward. Incredibles 2 and Ralph did not move the medium forward. Spider-Verse kinda did. What they did technically was not done before.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I've been on the other side of this too many times to count, so I can relate to the feeling of resentment when good anime doesn't win, but it does feel like a lot of the backlash here is just as close-minded as the other side. Anime isn't inherently better. Sometimes western animation is also good. Spiderman was fantastic and deserved to win this time.

It is rather annoying that the "Anything Japan makes > Anything the U.S. makes" mentality still exists among anime fans. I thought that had died out after 2010.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
And it is absolutely artistically good. Regardless of what you meant by that. It's the most f*cking artistic thing I've seen outside of Mob Psycho and Space Dandy in the last 10 years.

A movie drawn entirely in stick figures would be "artistic" Artistic doesn't mean good Laughing I would personally prefer the more "traditionally good" art style over an "experimental-but-kinda-ugly" art style.

You know what also doesn't automatically mean good? Conventional. It's totally fine if you only enjoy conventional stuff, but that just reads as boring to me. Also, "traditionally good" is a completely meaningless phrase. It means something different to literally everyone who says it. Spiderverse is 'traditionally good' in a lot of peoples' opinions.
Go watch Episode 18 of Karekano. You better believe stick figures can be artistic! Razz
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

I would find it really ironic if Black Panther is the movie people rally behind considering it's set in a fictional nation where people fight over a magic metal and the character was created by two white people If it is, then I can only assume it's because Black Panther was actually popular and did well at the box office, unlike most movies that actual focus on actual American racial issues like Green Book or Moonlight. .

It's basically the Wall-E syndrome applied to Marvel:
Ever since grownup Disney fans gushed over a plausible, non-embarrassing excuse to get Beauty & the Beast nominated for Best Picture, gushy tearful grownup Pixar fans had spent ten years since "Toy Story 2" trying to get a Pixar movie nominated for Best Picture by hook or crook. (After Wall-E had to "settle" for Best Animated while nobody even remembered Slumdog Millionaire a month after it won Picture, this meant WAR.) Finally they changed the rules, "Up" and "Toy Story 3" got nominated, and we at least all felt better.
Except, of course, for those of us who still want to KILL the Golden Globes for singlehandedly sabotaging "Inside Out"'s Best Picture front-runner status in '15, and sticking us with the Church-abuse movie instead. Evil or Very Mad

Nowadays, Pixar movies are just okay (I'm looking at you, Incredibles 2), and all the grownups who get embarrassed saying they like "regular" movies have accepted Marvel as The One Studio Left That Makes Good Movies.
Just that there hasn't been anything they could plausibly nominate as a "validation" excuse, until Black Panther had the oo-social! reputation attached to it, and brought in a lot of easily-influenced voters who don't usually go out to see Marvel movies...Or find out that they might happen to be, gasp, good.
And yeah, Black Panther is by no means the best Marvel Comics movie--or even the best Black Panther movie, considering Civil War--but not like Infinity War was going to be nominated, now was it?
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Go watch Episode 18 of Karekano. You better believe stick figures can be artistic! Razz

That might be one of my favorite Karekano episodes just for its sheer audacity. Laughing Laughing

I honestly liked Mirai more than I did Spider-Verse - I thought the former was a fascinating and convincing family tale/character drama that probably a lot of demographics could appreciate on some level, whereas the latter still felt a bit tied down to its genre tropes at times - I still liked Spider-Verse a LOT, and I'm happy for it to win this award. Spider-Verse might be able to set new precedents for American animated films, narratively and stylistically, and that would be a HUGE victory for the medium if it were to happen. I think Mirai might be the better film, but Spider-Verse could be a much, much more influential film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5