• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CG Creator Asks Twitter For Ideas to Solve Anime Industry Problems

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
It is rather sad that there is rarely any anime that doesn't focus on the Fanservice of the chest and butt. It's grown so much over the past 14 years that I have been an anime fan that I, as a girl, have became pretty much immune to it. It now takes a very big extreme amount of shove in your face Chest and butt fanservice that would make me drop a show. That's the only way to watch anime today pretty much. ignore the fanservice aspects and just enjoy the show if you enjoy the characters and their personalities.

It's gotten to the point that I am surprised as hell that an anime comes out that isn't a Chest and butt anime. you should've seen my reaction to Little witch academia. lol. I was surprised and happy. I thought that anime was cute and really hope it gets a home video release so that I can buy it.

It's rare that I watch new anime in a season that isn't a sequal to a series that i have already watched. the newest show I had watched was zombieland saga. I enjoyed it. Lets head for a season 2. lol.

but hey. I pretty much go with the flow on these things now a days.

Fanservice has long been a thing, but it's never been a universal thing. There's plenty of anime that doesn't have it. However, it tends to be highly associated with certain genres. So if you're only interested in those genres, you're way more likely to see it. I don't tend to see it as much, since I'm usually not as interested in those genres. And this is also speaking as a woman, who's been watching for twenty years. Anime I can think of from the 90's/early 2000's with Fanservice? Golden Boy, Gunbuster, Chobits, heck even Slayers focused an inordinate amount on Lina Inverse's cup size. The hotsprings episode, the beach episode, the nosebleed, all very common tropes for as long as I've been watching.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I would say either have more people working on one anime or put more money into using movie caliber cgi. Cgi such as was used in the Gantz: 0 movie and the new Captain Harlock movie. Or use cgi with fantastical art styles or locations[/img]
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

That's THE problem with the anime industry at the moment, in case the original creator asked--and taking most of Japan's pop culture down with it--and darned if we Westerners will ever be able to get it through their guarded cultural-isolationist heads before more permanent damage is done.

Japan's always been a few decades behind the US in following our own socio-cultural trends, and they're just NOW hitting on the 50's Comic-Book Scare, where a nation of timid, mainstream Eisenhower-era grownups didn't know what was causing restless, unfulfilled teenagers to become Juvenile Delinquents, and all agreed it must've been those mind-rotting comic books! It was actually common in whitebread 50's US to see kids' comic-book collections burned in town meetings, Berlin-style, since there were no grownup housewives and moms who'd rush to the defense of Batman, Wonder Woman or Tales From the Crypt.
Japan's problem isn't delinquents (that was in the 80's), theirs is the opposite: A nation of timid, mainstream Recession-era grownups don't know what's causing achievement-pressured, pecking-order bullied high-schoolers and frustrated twentysomething jobseekers to drop out of the corporate market or school ladders, and try to find their own barricaded safe-space. Since those people have clearly dropped out just to watch anime and play Internet MMORPG games for sixteen hours a day, it's obviously the fault of those anime shows!
Throw in a declining birthrate, caused by less interest (and more terror) in relationships between the sexes, and every adult who hasn't watched a "kiddy cartoon" in twenty years believes anime's TRUE Seduction of the Innocent is all those sexy 2D anime girls they see on merchandise and bus ads everywhere! Those slacker NEET's must have been rejected by real girls at school for being a loser, that's why they spend all day watching pop idols and magical-girls!...And fondling their whole shelves of plastic anime-girl figures!

Thing is, we got out of it, and slapped ourselves back into sense by the late 70's/mid-80's, and now...er, think comic books are socially acceptable again.
But that's because we took a deep breath, looked back and saw how panicky and wrong we were in a crisis--Japan rarely ever believes that it's wrong, if millions of good working folk all get together on the same idea.
Americans who try to help Japan through their Social-Panic Anonymous crisis, and say "Hey, you'll get through this, we did, and anime is NOT hazardous to your mental health", are condescendingly patted on the head as Clueless Westerners who don't understand the subtle nuances of Japanese culture--And thus literally have to be educated about the secret dangers they've discovered about How Anime Will Cause Instant Lolicon in anyone unfortunate enough to be exposed to it, and why a responsible society should work together to wipe it off the face of the earth. Rolling Eyes

Um, you know, that was off the mark from what I was saying. Also, I'd recommend to be careful, you're treading some culturally and socially dangerous waters there.

I don't know how I can put all of what I need to say shorter, so I'll leave my explanation at how "The only way you can make change is by seeing and enacting that change yourself by doing something". There's also been many, many, and many people who have said wise things before on these forums regarding this topic as well.

So I'm going to follow my own advice and do that.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:44 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

Um, you know, that was off the mark from what I was saying. Also, I'd recommend to be careful, you're treading some culturally and socially dangerous waters there.

I know it wasn't what you were saying, but the R-word made a good segue into explaining why they're trying to blame an "unexplainable" Recession on unemployed pervert anime fans.
And until they stop doing that, they're not going to have the mainstream success they had in the 90's, when anime was simply something shown on TV to sell goods to as many kids as would buy it.

To continue the 50's-comic metaphor, comics became rediscovered in the 80's when all those kids grew up, turned into Serious Artists and wanted to pay tribute to something they liked as kids.
We're seeing a little of that right now with Japanese female twentysomethings using the 20th-anniversary marketings of Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura to remember that, hey, guess it wasn't so bad after all, when they used to watch their influential favorites in third grade...UNFORTUNATELY, that also runs it up against the other major cultural block, namely the innate Japanese cultural terror, pressure, and stigma of not acting your age.
Which is why "those unemployed pervert anime fans" are also currently accused, even bullied, about "Trying to hang on to their childhoods" if they happen to be watching shows, never mind buying merchandise, designed for a younger audience. And then tied back into the whole "Rejected, afraid of sunlight, can't face the world, etc., etc." stereotype, lather, rinse, repeat.

We know why this is happening, but we can't do anything, as if we sat the Japanese down and told them why their recession happened at the end of their 80's economic boom, the West would be accused of being "jealous", and logic would fall on deaf ears...
Simply put, Japan's biggest enemy of anime right now is ITSELF.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
configspace wrote:
The converse of Sturgeon is what we have for animation in the US: everyone produces the same, safe, wide appealing 20%, nay 10% of stuff within a very narrow Venn diagram range of audiences and very limited subjects and genres that is consumed safely by 90+% of the world.
I would disagree with this as vehemently as you disagree with the previous poster's characterization of Japanese animation (I agree with you on that score, at least). US animation is a lot more widely varied and quality than people tend to give it credit for. The new animated Spiderman is a great example of a straight up great animated movie that has a strong identity of its own, and that couldn't have really been made anywhere else in the world. You've got Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, Archer, Samurai Jack, various good Star Wars animated series, Gravity Falls, DC's animated shows and non-theatrical release movies, Stephen Universe, Bob's Burgers, Seth McFarlane's shows, Southpark, The Simpsons, Futurama, and like a thousand shows coming out on Netflix I haven't had time to completely give a fair chance...

And seriously, that's just off the top of my head, and mostly from the last few years. I can already think of a half dozen more I could mention. American animation is alive and well, incredibly varied in genres, tones, art styles, and relative level of crassness. Power to you for defending Japanese media, but I don't think you're giving US media a fair shake either.

EDIT: And I have to come back because it feels actually wrong not to mention that Pixar are masters of the form, Dreamworks has been putting out really good stuff recently, and even for all the shit people give Disney when it comes to being as mass appealing and marketable as possible, you have to admit they are damn good at it. It might not be for you, but it's another part of a really vibrant US animation industry that is also, I think, the better for trying to reach out and be interesting for other parts of the world as well.

You've illustrated exactly what I mean. While I agree the art style is varied, every single one is safe. Even the crassness is safe. And even Simpsons is not immune to the politically change and had to play it safer now. And genres are still limited. Only the non-theatrical DC animation stands out but those are the rare exceptions. Everything else on the theatrical and TV side remains in the safe-zone and limited genres. Either comedy or action fantasy. Where's the slice of life, sports, non-fantasy romance, regular drama? Where are the shows that appeal to specific sub-cultures? Where's the titillation and shows with all sorts of elements that tick the wrong boxes for ANN reviewers? None of the in majority of US animation. Even Sausage party touted for its "R-rated" crassness play it squarely in the safe-zone with its comedy.

And so, if the solution is cut-down output and guaranteed return on investment with low to no reputation risk in order to save the anime industry then this is the same kind of limited output I'm afraid of.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
US animation is a lot more widely varied and quality than people tend to give it credit for. The new animated Spiderman is a great example of a straight up great animated movie that has a strong identity of its own, and that couldn't have really been made anywhere else in the world. You've got Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, Archer, Samurai Jack, various good Star Wars animated series, Gravity Falls, DC's animated shows and non-theatrical release movies, Stephen Universe, Bob's Burgers, Seth McFarlane's shows, Southpark, The Simpsons, Futurama, and like a thousand shows coming out on Netflix I haven't had time to completely give a fair chance...

That's.. a weird take, giving Groening and McFarlane use the exact same art style for all their shows, and one of the biggest criticisms of recent American animation is the "CalArts" style of noodly limbs and bean shaped bodies, which encompasses all kinds of Adventure Time and Stephen Universe artstyle clones. Not to mention pretty much every show you listed is a comedy cartoon, so there's not exactly any kind of "varied in genre and tone". America doesn't exactly make serious adult dramas, or action cartoons.

You're also listing shows that are over a decade old. Look at American animation which came out specifically in 2018 and compare it to anime that came out in 2018 and you might see why people label it as safe and homogeneous.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

I know it wasn't what you were saying, but the R-word made a good segue into explaining why they're trying to blame an "unexplainable" Recession on unemployed pervert anime fans.
And until they stop doing that, they're not going to have the mainstream success they had in the 90's, when anime was simply something shown on TV to sell goods to as many kids as would buy it.

To continue the 50's-comic metaphor, comics became rediscovered in the 80's when all those kids grew up, turned into Serious Artists and wanted to pay tribute to something they liked as kids.
We're seeing a little of that right now with Japanese female twentysomethings using the 20th-anniversary marketings of Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura to remember that, hey, guess it wasn't so bad after all, when they used to watch their influential favorites in third grade...UNFORTUNATELY, that also runs it up against the other major cultural block, namely the innate Japanese cultural terror, pressure, and stigma

We know why this is happening, but we can't do anything, as if we sat the Japanese down and told them why their recession happened at the end of their 80's economic boom, the West would be accused of being "jealous", and logic would fall on deaf ears...
Simply put, Japan's biggest enemy of anime right now is ITSELF.

Okay, honestly Eric, right now, I'm feeling very triggered right now. This is not just because of what you're saying, but because of how the entire first world climate right now is and I don't just mean the States nor the North American Continent.

I'm going to lay my cards down on the table and state that I am an artist who has long pursued wanting to make his own anime inspired stuff. As I'm sure that you've seen, I have been long posting stuff about this and that about US anime history. And not to toot my own horn, but I also have major interest in current events and the cultural occurrences and the history to which these things have brought about into our current day, and yes, Japan is a very major one for me due to my pursuits.

And as if you have not seen already from me, I already throw a lot of shade onto the States, but not out of an inferiority complex. The nation which states in its constitution of how no colored man shall be prosecuted, how liberty, life, the pursuit of happiness is meant for all, and how it boasts itself as a multi cultural stew pot has gradually turned jade in my eyes because no one has upheld the various institutions or foundations to help cultivate this prided aspect, and how it is a hypocrite's melody of going back on their word and massive self entitled pick and choose bigotry.

Right now, the anime fandom is not seeming to be very welcoming or pleasant for me to be around right now. While those who self disparage and depreciate themselves are annoying, I've long seen a lot of smart alecky loudmouthers and booing crowds of overseas anime fans yelling about how Japan needs to do this or that. Unfortunately, you're oozing a lot of significant traits I've seen about such fans. I'd be very careful, because that is categorized in my eyes as cultural bigotry, which also falls under racism. I don't care how anyone will try to weasel their way out of it.

My rage is at its brink, and about as much as you talk about this or that about Japan, I'll be glad to say that you're wrong on many, many, many aspects. Current Japan is much like the States: if it means throwing out the civility and peace, no one is going to do it. I'll also remind you such hysteria you're talking about was borne out of American Fundamentalist Christian ethic, and knowing Japan, if they want to cut off the hand to save themselves, they're going to have to be ultra extreme wing hysterically stupid to do that. Anime is an ultra fundamental part of their industry, and even if they don't think the overseas market is a big seller, I guarantee you losing that industry will not bring back their movie industry, which has long floundered due to anime taking the reins as Japan's visual entertainment along with live action TV. And don't even tread the waters on the whole "population drop" thing. There are massive dark underlying topics and implications to the topics of populations of nations, and I think the massive amount of pollution here in my country due to consumption and refusal to develop environment saving tech, along with birth control problems, sexual disease pandemics,and sexual identity amongst other very shaky topics is the other side of the spectrum regarding this. There's barely any snow where I live due to how global warming is getting even more intense. Do not push it.

I know this seems a bit out off topic, but I am going to have to let the shot fire. Nearly 30 years in this country's history, and no one has taken the reins of trying to undergo the trade of trying to make their own legit anime and understanding that spirit? The States has no right to complain about wanting things their way when they have long been the greatest superpower in the world in that timespan, knows what they like in terms of tastes, and has the capital and resources to create their own independent anime industry. KabaKabaFruit and Stuart Smith and many more who know this well and have my respect knows well that it's either "put up or shut up" when you're nothing but a spectator. While I still believe that the States has every right to make its own industry, there's a lot of growing up and a lot to learn, and a lot of who not to listen to when it comes to that. We live in a globally connected world, and as much as everything is seeming like it's collapsing I am not going down without my fight to keep inspiration and hope alive. I can't say you are doing much to help that. Good night.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
I know this seems a bit out off topic, but I am going to have to let the shot fire. Nearly 30 years in this country's history, and no one has taken the reins of trying to undergo the trade of trying to make their own legit anime and understanding that spirit? The States has no right to complain about wanting things their way when they have long been the greatest superpower in the world in that timespan, knows what they like in terms of tastes, and has the capital and resources to create their own independent anime industry.
Good night.

And sleep tight. Rolling Eyes

If you feel better for posting that, it pretty much missed every point I was making. We're not asking for "Anime our way", we're asking that the Japanese learn to respect anime their way again, because a few social bees in their bonnet has made them forget how, and start piling some genuinely hypocritical and mean-spirited scapegoat blame on it.
Yes, we're a nation of liberty, where all races, creeds and colors can watch Kemono Friends, and Japan, at the moment, is not--And this is not coming some Western jingoism, but from hints rather loudly dropped in their OWN ANIME. (Remember when we thought "Welcome to the NHK" was kidding about "Give a NEET a computer, and he'll be scoping out the school grounds within a week"?)

Why haven't we made "our own American anime"? Oh, we tried (dear lord, deliver us from the original "Teen Titans"), and we CAN'T. No more than we can make our own British comedy, Latin telenovelas, or Bollywood musicals...We watch something that had its own unique cultural evolution, in ways we can't imagine, because we didn't come from that same background.
And now we're seeing that background destroyed, because that same culture that made it now wants to blame it for every single one of their problems, with no particular conscience about how offensively they bully it in the process--Imagine being a wine fan, and then hearing that Italy had suddenly fallen under a charismatic rightwing mania for Prohibition, and decided the first thing they needed to do to solve their crime, unemployment and economic problems was burn the entire grapeyards of Tuscany to the ground. Understandably, one might be a bit upset, and even more so if they were deluged with Italian anti-alcoholism ads, and knew that the whole mania was just a zeitgeist ploy in some completely unrelated political issue...I may not care about Italian politics, but I'm one of the other countries that want their danged glass of WINE. And Californian wine just ain't going to do it.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:04 am Reply with quote
Anime sharing many of the same problems now as Hollywood
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
Alright TheAnimeRevolutionizer & EricJ you're both done. We let you both make your points, but now it's time to move on from arguing with each other as you're both getting rude and passive aggressive.
Violynne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
The only way to save the anime industry is to not support it. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it's no secret the failure of the industry falls squarely at the hands of publishers, who think bottom line, not employees need a break.

This makes it challenging because publishers have the contacts and finances to push any anime title into the hands of the world. Studios cannot do this. They tried in the 90s, and it failed to the point over 400 studios shut down.

This experience lead to the "production committee" money pool, allowing for all parties to share in the success or failure of the title. Studios are now expected to commit financially to the success, pushing them to produce better quality even if the series itself is not regarded as such by the majority of fans.

Publishers are required to keep the assembly line churning at all times. Most people speak entirely of the show, but there are many other areas which require focus, such as music, distribution, merchandise (which accounts for the majority of anime revenue), and advertising (paying to play after hours, as an example).

I'm not saying publishers are evil, but rather, the system in which drives the industry has been built to prevent any flexibility in its production. This is why we don't see "chances" in media anymore, and this isn't just an anime issue.

"Market research" will always cater to the majority, whose bar of entertainment is so low, watching crickets have sex is more entertaining. Alas, they're also spending the money, so the shows cater to their spending.

It's like seeing the 2019 movie schedule of the US filled with 60% super hero, 30% Star Wars, and the rest fillers which make it to streaming services 30 seconds after playing in theaters (such as The Meg).

The only way to break the chain is to disrupt the revenue.

Good luck trying to get fans to unite to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3